Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

West German Voigtlander Color-Ultron 1.4/55mm Rollei QBM
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Srdjan wrote:
Nice family of lenses Pancolart and nice pictures. On this pictures looks that Voitlander have diferent couting then Rolleinaar and Mamiya. I have another question are voitlander skopars are the same as Zeiss. What are differences except body, glass, coutings, optical sheme are the same?

Thanks. Rollei Zeiss Planar is supposed to be different. I don't have it to compare. Regarding the coating and optics your answer is my reflections scheme above. There you can see Mamiya SX has more single coated surfaces (yellow color), Ultron differs only in reflection tone. All have the same optical design.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: West German Voigtlander Color-Ultron 1.4/55mm Rollei QBM Reply with quote

Srdjan,

Thanks for your kind words. Truth be told, I was being intentionally a bit provocative since the thread is a bit old, I thought maybe I would increase the chances that someone would want to reply. Smile I think much of the mystery has been solved, at least to my satisfaction. But it would be good to see a methodical effort at documenting these questions.

It seems beyond doubt that the Rolleinar MC lenses were extracted directly from the Mamiya SX line (except, of course, the few lenses which we know were not Mamiya). The only difference is the upgraded coating. My personal opinion is that there was some sort of technology trade between the two firms, where Rollei got already-existing (and proven) optics, possibly at a discounted price, and eventually possibly even tooling, and Mamiya got multi-coating technology (it is noteworthy that when the SX lenses were introduced in 1974--and by 1977, positively anachronistic--that Mamiya still was not multi-coating their lenses; on 35mm at least, I don't know about their MF gear). The Mamiya Rolleinars appeared in 1977. In 1978 Mamiya released its newestcamera body for 35mm, the NC1000, accompanied by their new, multicoated CS lenses.

BTW, did you mean to say "Skopars" or "Ultrons" in your last question? Which Skopars, the new Cosina lenses or the "classic"/original Voigtlander?

Pancolart, those are beautiful images. I think the third image contains precisely the kind of information that can put to rest speculations as to the pedigree of the 1.4/55.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late reply:
Early Skopars (without "Colour" in name) are made in Germany and obviously same glass & mount like Zeiss shemes.
Mount is without rubber band.
Those types are also found with "Singapore" engraving on the mount.
Later one WITH Colour- in their name are newer shemes and different from Zeiss. They have the pyramidal rubber ring for fokussing.

Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify this matter which left room for various speculations I can provide you with the information from the original sources.

The Voigtlander Color Ultron 55mm/f1.4 was only available in QBM-mount and is a Mamiya-Sekor lens just marked as Voigtlander:

Interestingly there have been some lenses also assembled in Braunschweig/Western Germany.
However, the majority was made by Mamiya/Japan.

Source: "Voigtlaender Report 2" by Claus Prochnow (2005).

BTW, the Mamiya lens was also available in Rollei branding marked Rolleinar MC 55mm/f1.4.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving this old topic.
A quick question.....after reading the information in this thread.....
Am I correct in assuming....that the lens that I have pictured below, is a Mamiya made lens assembled in Germany?
Thanks
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK , THe 55/1,4 AR lenses were made by Mamiya, no matter what the parts have engraved

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Reviving this old topic.
Am I correct in assuming....that the lens that I have pictured below, is a Mamiya made lens assembled in Germany?
Thanks
Tom

Yes, definitely a Mamiya-Sekor lens. Assembled in Braunschweig by Rollei (former Voigtländer lens factory).
Available in both Rollei Rolleinar MC and Voigtländer Color Ultron AR versions.
Produced from 1977 until 1981. 7 elements in 5 groups Xenon-Type with enhanced rear group design.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Reviving this old topic.
Thanks
Tom

Yes, definitely a Mamiya-Sekor lens. Assembled in Braunschweig by Rollei (former Voigtländer lens factory).
Available in both Rollei Rolleinar MC and Voigtländer Color Ultron AR versions.
Produced from 1977 until 1981. 7 elements in 5 groups Xenon-Type with enhanced rear group design.

Thank you Papasito and Thomas.
Very clear to me now.
Tom