Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

WEP 21mm-M 42.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: WEP 21mm-M 42. Reply with quote

Hello:

About 1985 I bought in Barcelona this one 21mm-M42. This lens gave me acceptable results until I could buy the Tamron SP 17mm.

If someone can give us information about this lens and the manufacturer, it will be very interesting.

The landscape has been taken today to f:4.

Greetings: David

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Weiton/Wep lenses are a real mystery. I've seen some Wep zooms on sale at a local auction site, but never been interested. Even google doesn't tell much about them. Externally, it does resemble the Flektogon 20/4 a bit, but for 1:1 on focal length, the CV Color-Skopar 21/4 would probably fit the best.

And this is just wild guessing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so mysterious ... This lens is made by Panagor . I have it , it is exactly the same . This lens provides saturated , contrasted pictures , but my copy suffers from elements misalignement, and shows a non negligeable distorsion in the right lower angle. The aesthetic is typically Panagor of the end sixties - beginning seventies. WEP-Anker was a german macro accessories and lenses reseller (tele converters, macro extension tubes sets, bellows , and a tilt and shift bellows - seen once in a show-case in germany - ) essentially in Exakta and M42 mounts and after canon, nikon , minolta .... , and the only work they really made was to resell re-branded stuff from Japan ...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that Panagor was just a brand which sold lenses made by Kino optics, Komine (and others?)? Could this be the same lens as Kino-made Vivitar 3.8/20mm?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , indeed , Panagor was an "european" brand of Kino precision... and maybe Komine .I have a lens under 3 brands : Panagor 2,5/28 , Vivitar 2,5/28 and Admiral 2,5/28 . They are identical , only the Vivitar is slightly different (Focusing and diaph ring)... It is very possible that the Vivitar and Soligor 3,8/20 and this one are the same optic .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a listing Click here to see on Ebay with the Kino made Vivitar. Focus ring is different, but the dof scale and distance scale are basically the same.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still looking for this one in the Panagor branding in K-mount or M42. They almost never turn up and when they do it's OM or something else I can't adapt.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have never seen this 21mm lens, but i have a panagor in 28 / 2.5 that shares the same styling.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
i have never seen this 21mm lens, but i have a panagor in 28 / 2.5 that shares the same styling.

Yeah that is also made by Kino, but much more common being a 28mm. Predecessor to the 28mm f2.0 that is well known in Vivitar but was also made for Panagor though not in the typical black_silver livery.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
alex_d wrote:

Yeah that is also made by Kino, but much more common being a 28mm. Predecessor to the 28mm f2.0 that is well known in Vivitar but was also made for Panagor though not in the typical black_silver livery.

yes i have read it here that is kino made lens.

it is pretty.

if I was someone who cares about ' the look of a vintage lens on my modern digital camera.. (but it's appear not to be a leica lens ..)' , well that panagor 28 would be very high on my list.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to see if a lens diagram for this is available. Maybe someone has one?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
I'll have to see if a lens diagram for this is available. Maybe someone has one?

It is likely the same lens as the Vivitar 20/3.8 Vivitar being a bit more optimistic with their figures. Both diagrams from LensDB 9/7 design.

#1 Vivitar diagram

Panagor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh of course, how could I forget? Embarassed Embarassed Infact, I remember even fishing through the 20mm f3.8 versions to roughly identify who made what, the best I could for personal use a few years ago. I don't think I used inaccurate data for the dates, but was before I looked at certain sources. I could guess how I came to the dates, but there's some chance I could be wrong.

My bad..

Last edited by eggplant on Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:24 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same lens as a Panagor 21mm 4.0 in MD mount since it came on the market. In the seventies I believe.
Not yet used the lens on digital. It doesn't fit on my Minolta/Sony A, so I have to dig it up to use on mirrorless now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test images Part I. http://forum.mflenses.com/panagor-kiron-4-21mm-on-nex-c3-wide-open-bw-1680px-part-i-t61528.html
Test images Part II. http://forum.mflenses.com/panagor-kiron-4-21mm-nex-c3-wide-open-bw-1680px-part-ii-t61529.html