Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

walkaround zoom lens for Panasonic G1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: walkaround zoom lens for Panasonic G1 Reply with quote

I have the kit zoom 14-45 as well as a few fast primes, but I guess from time to time I would want to travel with just one lens and in some cases I would need a zoom.

The kit is pretty limited and in range and speed.
I've read about the Vivitar S1's which seem to be pretty good (such as the 28-105 2.8-3.8 - that's a useful range and much faster than the kit). I'm also tempted by the range of the 28-210.

Any suggestions what to look for? Should I look for a cheaper MF zoom or invest in a more modern (but probably more expensive) zoom?
How do they compare in terms of size and weight?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a lens such as a 28-210mm, then you end up with no wide angle at all, since it will give you the equivalent angle of view of a 56-420mm lens.

In this case, I'd say it's not the ideal walkaround lens.

A more flexible proposition is the Olympus 18-180mm 4/3 lens(equivalent angle of view of a 36-360mm lens), but it needs the Panasonic or Olympus adapter, AND it will not autofocus with the G1.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same dilemma since I got my GF-1. So I need a nice and light kit during trips and holidays when I don't have a MF lens hanging off it. After looking around I ended with the following two lens combo. The Lumix 7-14mm wide zoom which I got and the other is the Lumix 14-140mm. Another friend of mine has three in his set. 7-14, 14-45, 45-200 which costs about the same as my two lens set X-(

I've got the wide zoom and am very happy with it. Unfortunately with the 2x cropping factor not may MF lenses cover that wide.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, cameraquest has teh right lens for you, yet it will be a bit delayed...
(quote)
Alas, the long rumored Voigtlander SL II 4-10,000/f.7 SuperSizedNoctNoct lens is not yet ready for the marketplace. Unconfirmed reports say the lone megalens prototype was blown over by high winds, unfortunately destroying Nagano's 1998 Winter Olympic Stadium. ((unquote)

http://www.cameraquest.com/Voigt_SL2.htm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want one Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Wilson, 7-14 and 14-140 is probably the best walk around zoom for the system. There is simply no manual wide zoom for m4/3. The weight is hard to beat too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, there are nothing but tradeoffs w zooms on a 2x crop camera. the problem w 7-14+14-45+45-200 is its not 'walking around zoom' as requested; plus its very expensive.

i have been thinking about this for a while and for me what constitutes a good choice is: at least a 5x zoom that would allow at least 35mm WA + smallish size to keep the integrity of the form factor + reasonable cost.

well, the only thing i found was a c mount tv lens, a computar 12.5-75/1.2. now i got it for a song, but it needs CLA to restore some functionality, so i have not been able to test it, and its a bit bigger than i wanted, but i think once functional, this will be my 'walk around' zoom.

until then, i continue to use the adaptall 28-80, which is very small and light, very inexpensive and works really well on my ep1. at 56-160mm it just doesnt cover the range i want, but outside i can make it work...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know the G1/GH1 or GF1 are nice little travel cams but due to the crop factor 2 you will always have a problem with MF wide lenses. Older zooms are very heavy too so you go out with lens and cam and not cam and lens, will say you will get problems with the weight distribution too.

My son owns the Gf1 with kit 14-45 and 45-200. A nice and not so heavy combo with very good results.

I know it by myself that it is very fascinating to try out a lot of lenses with these cams - but really with older zooms it is not the hit.

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:

well, the only thing i found was a c mount tv lens, a computar 12.5-75/1.2. now i got it for a song, but it needs CLA to restore some functionality, so i have not been able to test it, and its a bit bigger than i wanted, but i think once functional, this will be my 'walk around' zoom.

That lens is decent but shows circular vignetting throughout the whole range. The only way I would find it really useful is in EZ mode and 1:1 format which brings it to an equivalent of 50-300mm at the cost of smaller picture sizes. There is a Fujinon 17-84 which is very similar in use but has an added macro range. IMHO, those zoom lenses have very limited use, unless you are fine with the vignetting. Personally, I don't mind it on some lenses (like a 25/0.95 Angenieux...) where you can use it well, but for a walk-around lens I would like something better.

I finally gave in and bought the 14-140mm - looks a bit like a monster next to my c-mounts but I think it's still the most versatile one out there that brings out the potential of the camera.

Just my 2 cts,

Stefan

P.S. That Tamron you mentioned - is that the older 28-80 macro SP lens?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's funny stefa, as i said, i havent been able to test the cine lens because it has focus issues im trying to correct, but i did not see any significant vignetting from an admittedly cursory examination on the camera, just done to see what needed to be fixed...i do know that below 25mm or so on c mount, they are given to vignetting and i was surprised i didnt see much in my inspection. perhaps i will notice it more when its fixed.

re the tamron, no that was not the one i meant. i actually have the sp version also, which is bigger and heavier than the one i mentioned. the sp version performs much better on my 5d, but doesnt perform so well on the ep1. the non sp version i found actually performs better on my ep1--no idea why, and not a scientific comparison, just on basis of my eye.

Last edited by rbelyell on Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get a pentax x90, 26-676mm equivalent
http://www.pentaximaging.com/digital-camera/X90/

Quote:
• A megazoom 26X super-telephoto lens (26-676mm equivalent) ensures extreme flexibility for any subject near or far.
• The 12.1 megapixel sensor is ideal for large prints or cropping flexibility.
• Effortlessly compose and playback images and video on the 2.7 inch LCD with anti-reflection coating, or through the electronic viewfinder with diopter adjustment.
• Perfectly blends technology from both digital compact and SLR cameras, including powerful automatic operation or creative manual and priority modes.
• An HDMI port plays back beautiful high resolution images and video on HDTV’s.
• Triple Shake Reduction technology includes a mechanical sensor-shift mechanism, digital high ISO SR, and Movie SR, for sharp images, even in the most challenging lighting conditions.
• High speed continuous shooting up to 11 frames per second captures even the fastest action.
• Fast Face Detection technology quickly finds up to 32 faces for perfectly focused and exposed portraits.
• Capture even the smallest and closest subjects as near as 1cm with Super Macro mode.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should have mentioned it, but I already given up on the wide angle.
I think the kit would be fine for landscapes etc.

Getting all those fancy m4/3 zooms is out of my budget. I'm barely considering getting the panasonic 20/1.7. I'm looking for something cheaper and willing to compromise. I was wondering how the older zooms compare in bulk and performance (i see quite a few of them on the bay under $100).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if youve given up on WA, and price, performance and bulk are issues, i would strongly suggest looking at the tamron 28-80mm. it is a very good performer on my ep1, it is very light and compact, and it is very cheap--i would say under $50usd. its hard to beat it for the money.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't look for wild angle with a 2x crop camera (I talk about MF lenses only) my practice is a film camera + slide (for wide angle shoots) + 2x crop camera with any lens. If you need cheap digital wide use panoramic software and stitch your pictures. In most case quality is more than enough.

Kiron 28-210mm is a bulky lens heavy, hard to carry and not perform well on 2x crop body at least this was my experience. All lower quality lenses did perform better on my Nikon D50 than on my Olympus E-1.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentax 110 20-40/2.8?

I'm only half joking... The whole set of Pentax primes is pretty small, and at least the 70mm produces really nice images. Need to spend a little time cleaning my other 110 lenses before I can make a fair assessment of them.

-Z

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Don't look for wild angle with a 2x crop camera (I talk about MF lenses only) my practice is a film camera + slide (for wide angle shoots) + 2x crop camera with any lens. If you need cheap digital wide use panoramic software and stitch your pictures. In most case quality is more than enough.

Kiron 28-210mm is a bulky lens heavy, hard to carry and not perform well on 2x crop body at least this was my experience. All lower quality lenses did perform better on my Nikon D50 than on my Olympus E-1.

Well how about the 28-85, 28-90, 28-105? Still heavy?
What do you mean, they don't perform well? Not enough resolution for center crop?

I'm going to carry the kit 14-45 for landscape shots. I don't have another camera (and don't want to carry one).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the non sp tamron adaptall 28-80mm is very compact and light, and i have used it to good effect on my ep1. also cheap. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

assaf wrote:
Attila wrote:

Well how about the 28-85, 28-90, 28-105? Still heavy?
What do you mean, they don't perform well? Not enough resolution for center crop?

I'm going to carry the kit 14-45 for landscape shots. I don't have another camera (and don't want to carry one).

I did test all above and none of them did catch me.