Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

W Komura 28/3.5 M42??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: W Komura 28/3.5 M42?? Reply with quote

Hi - I'm a long time fan of the Komura, mainly the ones with plenty of aperture blades. However, the going price for those are going through the roof now on eBay. Last week I spot an old Vivitar body that has W Komura 28/3.5 M42 attached to it. My LBA instantly kicked in and now it's in transit Smile

I've been searching the web for information on the lens but couldn't find much info on it. Does anyone happen to have that lens and willing to post some samples as well a comments on the lens itself?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too like the Komura. Do you have a picture of the lens?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

Actually I don't have the lens yet. The only picture that I have is the one posted by the seller and it's extremely blurry, you can only barely see the word "W Komura". I know I'm gambling but I guess for $40 if worst case scenario happens it still not the end of the world Smile

I will post pictures when I receive the lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So no one ever tried this lens before? I google it but couldn't find much information on the lens.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ducdao wrote:
So no one ever tried this lens before? I google it but couldn't find much information on the lens.

Vade Mecum has this to say about the M39 versions ......

Quote:
Komura (Sankyo Kohkei), Japan.
Later in 1975 as Komura Lens Manufacturing Ltd, 17-3, Kasuga 2-chome, Bunkyo-Ku, Tokyo, Japan.
This brand was sold in the UK in the 1960-1970 period, in M39x26 and rather later SLR mounts. It often offered rather high speed designs in mounts of excellent appearance. They are relatively heavy and have brass focusing helices. Note how relatively near the serial numbers are. Review Camera 35, Dec 1966, p48 for a mixed set of M39 and SLR lenses.) There were also a few Contax fit lenses such as the f3.5/135mm listed below.
[The B.J.P. 08/05/1981 p464 mentions the insolvency of Komura in 1980 and the probability that a binocular maker would adopt the plant.]
There seem to be a parallel set of large format lenses as Commercial Komuras as a: Commercial Komura f6.3/210mm No210,55x was noted fitted to a Hasselblad 500C at auction.

35mm Lenses for M39
W-Komura f3.5 28mm 6g/4c symmetrical, probably Gauss c.1964-69. Seen at No2,930,56x; 2,930,60x; 2,930,64x. This has a black mount with a touch of chrome.
Komura f2.8 28mm 6g/4c symmetrical c.1968.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
ducdao wrote:

Vade Mecum has this to say about the M39 versions ......

Quote:
Komura (Sankyo Kohkei), Japan.
Later in 1975 as Komura Lens Manufacturing Ltd, 17-3, Kasuga 2-chome, Bunkyo-Ku, Tokyo, Japan.
This brand was sold in the UK in the 1960-1970 period, in M39x26 and rather later SLR mounts. It often offered rather high speed designs in mounts of excellent appearance. They are relatively heavy and have brass focusing helices. Note how relatively near the serial numbers are. Review Camera 35, Dec 1966, p48 for a mixed set of M39 and SLR lenses.) There were also a few Contax fit lenses such as the f3.5/135mm listed below.
[The B.J.P. 08/05/1981 p464 mentions the insolvency of Komura in 1980 and the probability that a binocular maker would adopt the plant.]
There seem to be a parallel set of large format lenses as Commercial Komuras as a: Commercial Komura f6.3/210mm No210,55x was noted fitted to a Hasselblad 500C at auction.

35mm Lenses for M39
W-Komura f3.5 28mm 6g/4c symmetrical, probably Gauss c.1964-69. Seen at No2,930,56x; 2,930,60x; 2,930,64x. This has a black mount with a touch of chrome.
Komura f2.8 28mm 6g/4c symmetrical c.1968.

Thanks for your help, mate. The lens will arrive in about 4 days but unfortunately I'll be away from home for two months starting tomorrow so I won't be able to discover the lens until I get back Sad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:

late, and not from Ducdao, but here you go, it's a beautiful lens:

ducdao wrote:
Hi - I'm a long time fan of the Komura, mainly the ones with plenty of aperture blades....
Does anyone happen to have that lens and willing to post some samples as well a comments on the lens itself?

one may be able to make it out on the second photo, it has 10 blades.
I just received the lens, will add samples after some while

cheers,
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first samples, taken on Pentax K-x ( resized samples are sharpened )

wide open

f8? ( not sure )

100% crop ( unsharpened )

against the sun, first wide open, second f5.6

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice presentation of this beauty Andreas!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Nice presentation of this beauty Andreas!

Yes, looks like it performs well Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Pancolart and Nordentro
I had wanted to throw in some samples at infinity and better one for the flare situation, but thought to better share what I have so far before the thread gets 'too cold' Wink
My personal take so far is that is is a very well built and very beautiful lens, that I much like the colors it renders, sharpness, even wide open and bokeh are also rather good, flair control better than I expected. Wide open it glows at high contrast situations, resolution and sharpness at infinity are also not it's fortes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
woodrim wrote:

ducdao wrote:
Hi - I'm a long time fan of the Komura, mainly the ones with plenty of aperture blades....
Does anyone happen to have that lens and willing to post some samples as well a comments on the lens itself?

cheers,
Andreas

Thanks for sharing, Andreas.

I still need to go look for my lens since I moved back to Montreal 3 months ago, I couldn't find it. It's probably somewhere in the moving boxes...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
woodrim wrote:

ducdao wrote:

cheers,
Andreas

I just found my copy. To be frank I'm a bit disapointed. Contrary to other Komura lenses that I have, this one feels cheap, focus ring is not damped and has only 6 aperture blades. The mount is interchangeable and it has the M42 screwed to it. I took it out for a spin this morning and the images are very soft, even at f8. Just checked the lens carefully and it appears to have a thin layer of haze of something like that. I will try to open and clean it to see if it helps.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducdao my copy also has the interchangeable mount.
Does your's look just the same as mine?

My copy definitely has 10 aperture blades, so they won't be exactly the same lens.

as opposed to you I was not disappointed but pleasantly surprised by the lens, may be because my expectations were not very high and / or because my copy is better then yours.
I find build quality and use very good, though the focus ring is not as smooth as that of my Takumars, has some play at the extremes.
As mentioned I find resolution at infinity not good, sharpness average but not that bad, found sharpness at close focus distances, even wide open, rather good as my sample of the staircase may show, and specially like the colors it renders

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Ducdao my copy also has the interchangeable mount.
Does your's look just the same as mine?

My copy definitely has 10 aperture blades, so they won't be exactly the same lens.

as opposed to you I was not disappointed but pleasantly surprised by the lens, may be because my expectations were not very high and / or because my copy is better then yours.
I find build quality and use very good, though the focus ring is not as smooth as that of my Takumars, has some play at the extremes.
As mentioned I find resolution at infinity not good, sharpness average but not that bad, found sharpness at close focus distances, even wide open, rather good as my sample of the staircase may show, and specially like the colors it renders

I can't see the images of your lens as I'm at work right now. Images are blocked here. Will check them later tonight from home and report back.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the images of my copy. The lens is completely different from the one from kuuan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just happened again. I accidentally purchased this lens; the one Andreas has, not the version Ducdao has. Sending it directly to Marc Jensen for CLA, so it will be a few weeks before I have it in hand. I don't really need it, but do like the Komura lenses so thought it was worth a try.

Mine has a Canon mount, which I wish it didn't. Does anyone need a Canon mount of this type? Anyone have another kind to trade?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On second look, I may have Ducdao's version. DRAD!!!