Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

W-Komura 24/4 - Now with Images
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: W-Komura 24/4 - Now with Images Reply with quote

I just purchased this lens. I'm guessing the W stands for something as simple as Wide. It appears to have ten blades to the diaphragm. After a search, I was only able to find one post by Attila in 2007 where he asked about it, but there was no happy ending. Can it be that I'm the first to have one of these? It seems a fairly handsome lens and no doubt an interchangeable mount like most other Komuras. I probably won't have it for another week.

Pictures borrowed from ebay seller...

Last edited by woodrim on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one what I seen, look forward your samples! congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thats one of the interchangable mounts.
A pretty piece. I certainly would like to try one of these wide Komuras.
At a guess the colors will be very nice.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very beautiful lens. Only saw it once on eBay with a very high buy-it-now price. I am really looking forward to seeing some color pictures taken with it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the lens looks to be in perfect condition!

Looking forward to see some samples! Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Wow, the lens looks to be in perfect condition!

Looking forward to see some samples! Wink

Me too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that an earlier Komura than this 3.5/28?

Anyone got any experience of this Komura 3.5/28 BTW?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The preset Komura is probably an earlier version than the automatic one (interesting Miranda Uni-Auto mount there).
On the other hand Komura seems to have kept parallel product lines in production, so who knows.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Luis. The build does look similar except for the auto-aperture and different mount system.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very similar to my 35mm 2.5 w komura which is in a similar condition. Not taken a huge amount of shots with it yet but this sample shows the colours nicely I guess, look forward to seeing the 24mm results.

This was taken at f4 ( or maybe 5.6) IIRC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, what a wonderful lens it is! Looking forward to seeing some results...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats, it looks great!
My W-Komura f3.5/28mm looks similar, it also has interchangeable mount, bit different lettering, hm..Komuras

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very small differences indeed. Basically the same lens appearance. Have you shared pictures from that lens? It looks like I will receive mine before the weekend, so will have opportunity to use it over weekend. I have worked the last two weekends, so hope to get out this time.

Macca: Very nice sample, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Very small differences indeed. Basically the same lens appearance. Have you shared pictures from that lens? It looks like I will receive mine before the weekend, so will have opportunity to use it over weekend. I have worked the last two weekends, so hope to get out this time...

yes, I did, though just a few, I had shown them here already but didn't find the thread yesterday, here it is: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=43531&view=previous
resp. the set on my flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuan/sets/72157627771946948/show/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodrim if you don`t mind I`ll also pop these shots of the 35mm 2.5 in here for posterity/reference ( or I can move them elsewhere). I took these a few weeks back when cleaning some lens. Note the prominent convex rear element, it needs a nice deep cap.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not at all mind, Macca, join in. I don't recall seeing a convex rear element quite so convex. Is that a MIR next to it? This will be the widest lens I have. I have one other, a Vivitar 24/2.8, but needs adjustment for infinity, so I haven't used it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I do not at all mind, Macca, join in. I don't recall seeing a convex rear element quite so convex. Is that a MIR next to it? This will be the widest lens I have. I have one other, a Vivitar 24/2.8, but needs adjustment for infinity, so I haven't used it.

Yes its fixed, prominent and the most convex rear I have in my small collection.

Thats a Helios 44 2 next to it, I thought most folk would be familiar with the Helios in terms of size and bulk so it gives a sort of perspective on the Komuras size. I haven`t really given it a proper run out, but hope to do so when the spring comes. You have good light and wonderful compositional skills, I hope your lens is as good as I think it may be.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Wild Kevin reference nevertheless i think you have found something quite precious. Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that guy must be on drugs. $600? No, that's crazy Mine just arrived and is in as pristine condition as it appears in the pictures. We'll see over the weekend what it can do... that is unless someone wants it for the discounted price of $500. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All lens what is a bit rare ending at him and he is one of the most famous multiply more seller.. some times he has 8-10 pcs from same rare lens . I use his as reference cut his price to half or third , that is market value from well known vendors like Zeiss.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got out this weekend, but it wasn't until mid afternoon on Sunday as the sun was getting low. The weather yesterday was bad - it seems some English weather drifted across the Atlantic and didn't begin to clear until today. Images may be slightly cropped and processed with contrast adjustment and maybe color on just a few. I made no correction for distortion as it wasn't very apparent.

Last edited by woodrim on Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks better than I expected and a decent lens.

Less good light is okay for testing lenses I find as it really sorts the men from the boys, a lens that is good in good light might not be good in bad light, only the best lenses are able to shine in bad light I have found. Way the weather has been this year, bad light has been my almost constant companion/foe this year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Looks better than I expected and a decent lens.

Less good light is okay for testing lenses I find as it really sorts the men from the boys, a lens that is good in good light might not be good in bad light, only the best lenses are able to shine in bad light I have found. Way the weather has been this year, bad light has been my almost constant companion/foe this year.

+1 very nice presentation!

Remark regarding the weather: what is generally considered good weather (bright sun) is in fact bad weather for vintage lens. Especially if testing is done at wide-open aperture Wink.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this looks great! And such good condition too! Congratz Wink

Which of the houses in #3 is yours? Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures look really nice for such an old wide angle! What camera did you take this with? I'd like to understand if this is crop size or full frame. Another day, when the sun is out, is it possible to take some pictures to show how the lens flares? Thanks.