Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Volna-9 vs. Voigtlander Nokton 58mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Volna-9 vs. Voigtlander Nokton 58mm Reply with quote

I friend of mine borrowed me his Voigtlander Nokton 58mm for a week and I decided to compare it's bokeh characteristics with my Volna-9.

The Voigtlander Nokton is an all metal, manual focus lens based on the famous Topcor 58mm f/1.4 optical design and is made by Cosina. AFAIK the lens is available in Nikon and Pentax mount only. Inside the lens there is a built in chip which provides the metering compatibility.

Since not many people own both lenses, I decided to share the result for those who are interested.
Needless to say, I used custom white balance, MLU with two seconds delay and the camera was on a tripod.

First test scene shot at f/16 for reference:

Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 @ f/1.4

Full size: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3272/2773442025_ca803b8471_o.jpg

Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 @2.8

Full size: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3056/2774538594_fb5516b3f5_o.jpg

Volna-9 at f/2.8

Full size: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3100/2773444011_3f2528c07d_o.jpg

Second test scene shot at f/16 for reference:

Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 @ f/1.4

Full size: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3285/2773437785_fe7bc82177_o.jpg

Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 @ f/2.8

Full size: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3195/2774519118_25120c6701_o.jpg

Volna-9 at f/2.8

Full size: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3211/2773440063_8e77a07375_o.jpg

After doing all the hard work I will leave the comments for the results to you:)
Hope it was helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks a lot for doing this!

The modern Nokton designs clearly shows its merits, but the Volna surprisingly enough is quite close (although poilu is right about the point of focus)

Last edited by kds315* on Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing the comparison very interesting.

In some areas the fully OOF areas are better on the volna; the partly OOF areas and (in particular) the in-focus parts are clearly crisper, more saturated, and generally much better with the Nokton.

Is this the first or second batch? The first had some over-exposure issue (+2/3 ev), now corrected, and also some edge sharpness issues wide open which I also hear are improved in the second batch.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bokeh is the same for me
for the sharpness, the 2 lens have not the same focus point and comparison is difficult

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two wonderful lenses!

The Voigtländer is sharper at f2.8 than the Volna (of course!)
Both lenses show a creamy bokeh, but the highlight bokeh of the Voigtländer is a little harsh, the Volna show a velvet bokeh even in the highlights.

Anyway, I've got the Volna and would love to have the Voigtländer. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice comparison, interesting result too.

Thanks for sharing. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again.. nice comparision..
Nokton seems superb lens.... (not comparing with Volna, which has its own merits)...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are just not many differences between these lenses! I do agree that the Volna shows more gradual and softer bokeh, and that the Nokton is marginally sharper in the focused areas.

But hey - if I only saw each of these individually, I would say "wonderful bokeh" and "wonderful sharpness" to both!

It would come down to a comparison of the price difference, versus the extra stop on the Nokton.

If I really needed the extra aperture I would go with the Nokton. But for me, and for the price, it would be the Volna.

Choices... Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a beautifully set up and presented comparison! Big Kudos for the contribution. I think as Carsten and Larry. Yes the modern lens is sharper but the volna drops away from the focus point more smoothly and has nicer highlights. That said I would not choose the Volna over the extra "POP" the sharper C/V lens has for most situations.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Two wonderful lenses!

The Voigtländer is sharper at f2.8 than the Volna (of course!)

What surprised me was that the Voigtländer (at f/1.4) is sharper than the Volna (at f2.8).

LucisPictor wrote:
Anyway, I've got the Volna and would love to have the Voigtländer. ;)

I don't have either, but have considered long and hard about this Nokton. These samples take me one step closer to taking the plunge.

Last edited by ChrisLilley on Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:14 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
the bokeh is the same for me
for the sharpness, the 2 lens have not the same focus point and comparison is difficult

Gosh! Could it be that small differences in the precise focus point have to be very carefully controlled, to make meaningful comparisons between lenses?

I agree, but weren't you saying that was "bullshit" the other week? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:
Could it be that small differences in the precise focus point have to be very carefully controlled, to make meaningful comparisons between lenses?

the focus of the Volna is on the shoes (backfocus)
as the dof is very small, it can make a small difference
I am sure the Nokton is better but not as much as the comparison between the faces

volna-nokton

Quote:
I agree, but weren't you saying that was "bullshit" the other week?

it is not exactly the same, last week writer conclude on superiority of AF based on "bullshit" theory

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
Chris wrote:
Could it be that small differences in the precise focus point have to be very carefully controlled, to make meaningful comparisons between lenses?

the focus of the Volna is on the shoes (backfocus)
as the dof is very small, it can make a small difference

Yes, I know. And I was agreeing with you.

Quote:
Chris wrote:
I agree, but weren't you saying that was "bullshit" the other week?

it is not exactly the same, last week writer conclude on superiority of AF based on "bullshit" theory

No, if you think that then you missed the entire point. The writer concluded that, for lens tests (of MF or AF) they needed to do focus bracketing (using a movable platform, not using the AF) to ensure that small differences in focus point (such as the one you pointed out above) didn't bias the tests.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my...Oh my..... I've just ordered the Nokton. I could not help my self....I needed and I wanted this lens.. I know Volna-9 is good but a voice deep inside was telling me that I have to have the Nokton too;) (I am afraid this explanation is not going to be good enough for my wife) But the rendering is just so beautiful and the build quality is just great!
Now I will have to start selling the lenses that I don't use Wink

Look at the big chunk of glass on the Nokton.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:

Is this the first or second batch? The first had some over-exposure issue (+2/3 ev), now corrected, and also some edge sharpness issues wide open which I also hear are improved in the second batch.

On the front ring it says SL which should be the first batch, but there was a metering problem only with the Nikon mount Nokton lenses.

The one I just ordered is the SLII version so when I receive it if there is a public interest I can compare both versions to see how much better the second version is.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voe wrote:
ChrisLilley wrote:

On the front ring it says SL which should be the first batch, but there was a metering problem only with the Nikon mount Nokton lenses.

I meant batches of the SL2 model (ie current production, which the lens above is). The original Topcor had silver parts while the SL2 is all black (and has CPU couplings, on the Nikon version).

voe wrote:
The one I just ordered is the SLII version so when I receive it if there is a public interest I can compare both versions to see how much better the second version is.

I think you will find it looks the same as the one you borrowed. But if its brand new it may well be the second batch. Are you using it on a Pentax body?

Congratulations on your purchase, this looks like a fine lens and I hear very good reports about it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Voe. Your Pentax will love wearing this lens. I think you made a wise purchase Cool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:

I meant batches of the SL2 model (ie current production, which the lens above is). The original Topcor had silver parts while the SL2 is all black (and has CPU couplings, on the Nikon version).

I think you will find it looks the same as the one you borrowed. But if its brand new it may well be the second batch. Are you using it on a Pentax body?

Congratulations on your purchase, this looks like a fine lens and I hear very good reports about it.

I see what you mean:) Yes I'm going to use it on a Pentax K10D.

Thanks.

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Congrats Voe. Your Pentax will love wearing this lens. I think you made a wise purchase Cool

Thanks, I think my K10D very much enjoys the company of the Nokton.