Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 vs. Topcor 58mm f/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 vs. Topcor 58mm f/1.4 Reply with quote

Someone can prove me wrong but, I believe comparing these two lenses is something that no one have ever done (at least not published on the Internet).
The Voigtlander Nokton is one of the most respected if not the best of 50-58s bokeh wise. I tried to question that before with my Volna-9 50mm f/2.8 and in a way I succeeded.
Since I got my Nokton I was always happpy with it, but I kept asking myself how will the original Topcor 58mm f/1.4 do in comparison with the Cosina made copy.

Here is the test scene. With all the metallic objects the scene is really tough for these lenses:

The contenders:

Bokeh comparison at f/1.4:

Voigtlander Nokton

Topcor:

Center crop comparison:

The full size crops are here:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3112/3105423457_d8c37cf30f_o.jpg

The rest of the images you can get them in full size here:
Flickr: VoeBoe's Photostream

The conclusions are yours to make. Wink

Thanks for watching:)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your work... interesting Smile I thought the designs were identical, but it seems that something has changed with the way they distribute LoCA from center/towards center!

Otherwise - they look identical. Good to know... How's the old one mechanically? I know the SL58 is good...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, this will quiet my curiousity. They look almost identical to me... maybe a little bit of purple in the SLII shot at 1.4 as well as a fraction more defined edges in the highlights. I'm a big fan of the Nokton myself (as you probably already know Smile )

K.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_Suede wrote:
Thank you for your work... interesting Smile I thought the designs were identical, but it seems that something has changed with the way they distribute LoCA from center/towards center!

Otherwise - they look identical. Good to know... How's the old one mechanically? I know the SL58 is good...

Well the Topcor had oil on the blades, the focusing was fine, but I took the lens apart, cleaned it and put white lithium grease. Now it works even better.

I see the bokeh of the Topcor slightly softer. Also the Nokton appears slightly sharper (or is it just better contrast) than the Topcor at f/1.4.

thePiRaTE!! wrote:
Thanks for sharing, this will quiet my curiousity. They look almost identical to me... maybe a little bit of purple in the SLII shot at 1.4 as well as a fraction more defined edges in the highlights. I'm a big fan of the Nokton myself (as you probably already know Smile )

K.

Hi Kelly,
I'm glad you find the comparison useful.
If you look at the OOF highlight rings, the Topcor has complete circles while the Nokton shows coma aberration (see the viking with the arrows and the red flower).
Leaving this aside the bokeh of the Topcor appears a tiny bit more pleasant.

BTW, I posted some photos made with the Topcor today at: http://forum.mflenses.com/melbourne-today-according-topcor-58mm-f-[url]1-4-t13220.html[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing the comparison!

The Nokton seems to be sharper and have more contrast wide open, although this also means the bokeh is not quite as good.

There seems to be some CA that improves by f/2.8 in both lenses. I guess that is typical.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me the Nocton is sharper, but the Topcor shows less axial CA.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take both of them ! Beautiful lenses!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some pixel peeping today and I noticed the big difference in sharpnes and CA/PF between the two lenses at apertures f/2.8, f/4 and f/5.6. The Topcor seems to resolve better and there is almost no CA at f/2.8, while the Nokton has some even at f/4. At f/8 I am not able to distinguish between the two. But what I see is that some of the most used aperture range is actually better with Topcor.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought both lenses performed well. The Voigtlander a bit better wide open, but by f/4 both seemed pretty equal to my eyes. Perhaps the Topcor was a bit more crisp from f/4 up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:
I thought both lenses performed well. The Voigtlander a bit better wide open, but by f/4 both seemed pretty equal to my eyes. Perhaps the Topcor was a bit more crisp from f/4 up.

The only advantage in sharpness of the Nokton is at apertures f/1.4 and f/2. But then from f/2.8 the game changes and the Topcor resolves much better than the Nokton.
These are 200% crops:

nokton@f/2.8

topcor@f/2.8

nokton@f/4

topcor@f4

nokton@f/5.6

topcor@f/5.6

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voe, you are right about the CA. Nokton 58mm f1.4 is really giving me a bit of grief in terms of CA even in overcast condition.

Seriously, I would have opted for Topcor if I know there are literally little difference between the two.

Great test and that pano of comparision shots graded by aperture is just surely breathtaking!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pictures are no longer available. Are you able to share them again?