Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtländer Color-Ultron 50/1.8 on Ebay
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Voigtländer Color-Ultron 50/1.8 on Ebay Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay

This lens is at f/1.8 even sharper than S-M-C 50/1.4, Pancolar 50/1.8 and Pancolar 55/1.4 - it's the sharpest 50mm M42 lens I have ever tried. Highly recommended Smile

Uses optical formula ("Color Ultron", also known as "Rollei Planar") developed by Erhard Glatzel:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got this formula in my Rollei Planar and yes, it's a great lens!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good lens from stil22 again. The price might go up very soon.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be watching this one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect final price over $180, maybe much higher. Anything under $180 is really good price, according to my opinion. This lens is optically very good, it's designed by Glatzel, fits M42 screw-mount, has "Voigtlander" label and it's sold by the best ebay lens-seller Very Happy

lwsy711: This lens cannot be used on Sigma at infinity. When focusing at infinity, the rear blok hits the Sigma IR/dust-filter.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, maybe Klaus will correct me on this one, but I think that the Ultron was not designed by Glatzel, rather by a designer called Tronnier.

Of course this does not detract from the value of the lens, which is a rather unique design, and worth having.

Glatzel designed the 1.8/50 Planar for the Rollei system. An excellent lens, that often sells for peanuts because people is ignorant about it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, you are partially right.

The former 7/6 Ultron formula was developed by Tronnier (1968?). His final masterpiece was Ultron 50/1.8 - also called "Zeiss-Icon Ultron". It can be recognized easilly - its front element is concave (bowl-shaped):

Glatzel continued in evolution of this (7/6) formula. The front element is slightly convex - looks like this (1970?):

This optical scheme is "color-ultron" = "rollei planar". Voigtlander color-ultron in M42 was manufactured in Singapure. It's said, that at the end of production the formula was recalculated to 6/4 (simple planar design) to lower manufacturing costs. But I have never seen the 6/4 version and it should be easily recognized. The 7/6 design is very long and because of that the rear optical block protrudes significantly out of the lens barrel:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats correct, the optical formula for the Carl Zeiss Ultron was from Tronnier. The front element is concave..

Sorry, wrong place.. this is the Tronnier Masterpiece, the concave Carl Zeiss Ultron 1.8/50mm

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, simply:

concave 7/6 50/1.8 = Tronnier
convex 7/6 50/1.8 = Glatzel = the lens on ebay Smile