Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar (Tokina) 75-260/4.5 - ALMOST the biggest T4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Vivitar (Tokina) 75-260/4.5 - ALMOST the biggest T4 Reply with quote

This is yet another Tokina-made T4 lens, As usual with this series, it was sold by everybody and his brother throught the mid-1970's, the big distributors like Vivitar and Soligor had it with T4 mounts or with dedicated mounts, and the same variety of others also, Mamiya, Yashica and the minor distributors.

Oddly, this model does not seem to have been sold by Sears.

This is a big, heavy zoom lens, but not the largest lens in this Tokina series (I have the largest one coming, a fairly rare 400/6.3). It is however one of the most popular, and very easy to find on ebay and elsewhere in its many variants, there are always several on ebay.

This one is a T4 version by Vivitar, and has the straight simple knurling that was typical for them in the early 1970's. It focuses down to 2M/6ft, which is pretty good for a 260mm lens of the time, as is the almost 4x zoom ratio. It is a constant aperture to boot, holding f/4.5 through the zoom range, and also apparently accurate focus while zooming. It must have been quite a contender in its day.

This copy is in excellent condition, seems barely used if at all, and had no issues. The image quality is not terribly good, not being sharp at f/4.5 under any circumstances. It also flares considerably if pointed too close to the sun, worse than most I've been testing recently.

Samples -

Flare at f/4.5 at about 30 deg off from the sun at noon - this after Photoshop contrast fix, etc.

Stopped down to f/8-f/11 -

The bird, at f/4.5 -

crop -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice result!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own this lens in M42 fixed mount , Tokina branded, with the same huge flare at full aperture , and the same overall good rendition when stopped down ! Nice pics ! I used it for birds photography .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar (Tokina) 75-260/4.5 - ALMOST the biggest T4 Reply with quote

I'm currently bidding on one right now. I thank you all so much for having this forum! I've used it numerous times to check the opinions of specific lenses, like the original post in this thread, and haven't been disappointed yet!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Sid,glad to have you aboard.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome!
I need to re-shoot this lens, its been a very long time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, luisalegria.

Just for fun, after reading your post, I decided to pick up one of these lenses:

Click here to see on Ebay

I would point out I am the very last of the big time spenders. Laugh 1

Seriously, I bypassed the lens currently available for a buck and a half, in favor of this more expensive, but nicer looking, copy. So is my lens T4 or TX? I do not know. That remains to be seen. I do not know how to distinguish TX from T4 solely by the serial number. I will have to remove the adapter to know. Speaking of which:

Couple of years ago I bought a LARGE number of T4/TX m42 adapters from a camera shop in Virginia that was selling them out. I converted all my T4/TX lenses to m42, and many adapters remain. So I can shop for T4/TX lenses on eBay without caring about which adapter might be attached, which is a real help.

Last edited by guardian on Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to see that I've made you drop such a pile of cash on this lens!

Seriously, its worth it just for the self-defense value.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Review in Dutch of this lens July 1972 Focus Magazine (The call it compact) but are very positive about IQ.

Auto Vivitar Tele-Zoom 4.5/75-260mm made by Tokina by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
Thank you, luisalegria.

Just for fun, after reading your post, I decided to pick up one of these lenses:

Click here to see on Ebay

So is my lens T4 or TX? I do not know. That remains to be seen. I do not know how to distinguish TX from T4 solely by the serial number. I will have to remove the adapter to know.

At a guess, it looks T4. The red lettering on the focus guide is typical of the early 70s Vivitar/Tokina T4s, and the third digit in the serial number is apparently the year code, pointing to 1971.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review!
These were pretty good lenses for the time.

One has to keep in mind that the “sensors” of the day had limitations. Using as a standard what Kodak film was common in the early 1970s (and I was around then), what would normally be used on something like this was Tri-X, ISO 400, often pushed by under exposure to ISO 800. That got you into handhold range in most circumstances at useful apertures. But Tri-X is effectively something like 3-6megapixels in digital terms. Plus-X, ISO 100, would have been more like 10mp, but better dynamic range. And you would need a tripod.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some shots with my Soligor version of this lens (with sharpening to see what I could get out of it):

180mm 5.6 by The lens profile, on Flickr

180mm 5.6 by The lens profile, on Flickr

260mm by The lens profile, on Flickr

260mm by The lens profile, on Flickr

Moon 260mm 5.6 100% crop by The lens profile, on Flickr
100% crop, scale down here a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small