Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar series 1 70-210mm version 1 Kiron Macro mode. Help!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Vivitar series 1 70-210mm version 1 Kiron Macro mode. Help! Reply with quote

I just purchased the monster called Vivitar series 1 70-210 version 1 Kiron. Mounted it on a Olympus E-P1 and took some decent zoom snaps outside although it is a real bear to focus (handheld) with only a LCD screen. At 100% size, most of the pics are a tad blurry possibly because I didn't focus perfectly.

My post though is because I am completely baffled on how to operate this lens in macro-mode. In macro-mode, it is supposed to be able to focus on objects very close (I've seen people write that it works at 2-inch distances) but nothing I do allows my copy to work on anything within 6-feet! I am beginning to suspect that I purchased a defective/broken lens but before I return it, I thought I would ask whether I am missing something.

I've tried rotated the ring that is located between the aperture ring and zoom/focus mega-ring until the "Macro"-word lines up with the red-dot on the barrel. But this makes no difference whatsoever -- requires at least 6-feet distance to focus. This ring btw in my lens rotates freely all the way through (I can keep rotating it infinitely) -- is this normal?

Also, there is a little tab with a white-button on the barrel end. I've tried pressing the button and pulled/pushed the barrel to no effect. I have absolutely no idea what this button does.

If somebody with this lens can offer any tips to determine whether my copy is functional, I would appreciate it very much. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn the lens to infinity focus, push in the white button and rotate till both
Macros are in alignment. If this doesn't work, your lens needs servicing, or
perhaps funeral arrangements. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To enter macro mode, pull the zoom back to 210mm, hold the white button down and turn the lens barrel until the yellow line marked "macro" aligns with the red dot.

With the lens in macro mode, the zoom becomes the focus. Push the zoom all the way out to 70mm for the closest focus. Minimum focus distance should be a few inches at this setting.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ring you mentioned should not be rotating freely. I love this lens, have
the Canon FD version, this is the best of the 4 keeper versions since macro
is 1:2.2.

Here's some info to illustrate:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/vivitar/70-210mm.htm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
The ring you mentioned should not be rotating freely. I love this lens, have
the Canon FD version, this is the best of the 4 keeper versions since macro
is 1:2.2.

Here's some info to illustrate:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/vivitar/70-210mm.htm

Thanks to both you and Mike Deep for responding...I thought it would be a few days before anybody responded about an ancient lens Smile

And it appears that my ancient beast might be still alive. It took me a while to understand that it is the barrel that needs to be rotated and not the ring (with arrow on it) itself. This stupid ring probably shouldn't even rotate(?)

Also my copy only has one tab (with the white button), the other one as seen in that website is missing...so it was a total pain to rotate the barrel. Anyway, I am thrilled 'coz I did manage to focus on the monitor from a few inches away. Too tired to experiment right now but am a happy camper.

Thanks again gentlemen!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a great lens there. after you master it you'll find how great it can be.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
You have a great lens there. after you master it you'll find how great it can be.

Thanks for the note. Just tried a few macro shots handheld. On my micro 4/3 camera, it seems like the closest it focuses is about 4". Does this sound about right?

Any tips on using this lens to get great shots with this lens would be very appreciated -- both zoom and macro.

I have NEVER seen such a battered lens as this one, the previous owner must have absolutely loved it to have used it so much...wonder why he even sold it. Strangely I am enjoying even it's battered look. It's a 1978 version from the serial number and if I am correct it's from one of the earliest batches of the version 1 (it doesn't even have the vmc marking on front).

I am itching to use this but will likely have to wait until tomorrow to get a real chance to mount it on a tripod and extract high quality shots.

Also delighted to find this forum and its knowledgeable/helpful residents!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my version 2 says macro focusing zoom on front but I see no way it focuses to less than 1.2m/4'. Am I missing something?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

revers wrote:
Well, my version 2 says macro focusing zoom on front but I see no way it focuses to less than 1.2m/4'. Am I missing something?

Assuming that version 2 works same as v1, follow the instructions from others in this thread. Pull the focus ring back to 210, press the white-tab and twist the BARREL so that "macro" lines up with the red-dot. It will focus as close as about 4-inches away.

Took the lens out for a spin but it was a bright day and the lcd screen was less than optimal. Anyway, here's a sample...yuu have to trust me when I say even at 100% the results are reasonably sharp.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lens is completely different from yours so the instructions for yours are not for mine.

I got mine out of the cupboard on account of this thread & while looking at it on my camera I took this shot of my wife reading.

ISO 200, f3.5, 1/30s

Just a spur of the moment shot.