Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 (ver.1 - Kiron)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 (ver.1 - Kiron) Reply with quote

Hi,

I would like to share a few photos taken with this fabulous lens. It's big, but not that heavy and both focusing and zooming works great. The only one I'm missing is continuous macro focusing, but probably I'm too much used to Tamron's.
The lens is really, really sharp with great contrast. There is a small loss in sharpness at 210mm, but up to ~180 it's absolutely great.

Canon 600d + Lightroom PP

1# 200mm at f/5.6-6.3

2# ~100mm at f/5.6-6.3

3# ~180mm at f/5.6-6.3

#4 macro mode set at ~100mm at f/3.5

#5 macro mode set at ~70mm at f/5.6

#6 macro mode set at ~100mm at f/5.6 or f/8

#7 macro mode set at 70mm at f/5.6

#8 macro mode set at 70mm at f/5.6

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 (ver.1 - Kiron) Reply with quote

PhantomLord wrote:
Hi,

I would like to share a few photos taken with this fabulous lens. It's big, but not that heavy and both focusing and zooming works great. The only one I'm missing is continuous macro focusing, but probably I'm too much used to Tamron's.
The lens is really, really sharp with great contrast. There is a small loss in sharpness at 210mm, but up to ~180 it's absolutely great.

Those are wonderful shots!

I agree this is a great lens. I own a single copy but my outcome has been far poorer than yours.

I bought the lens not realizing it was a fungus garden. But the fungus did not have to be determinative, I thought. I could clean the lens!

No. I could not. Kiron glued this Series 1 lens, at least my copy, together. It's a glue factory of a lens! I've never been able to disassemble my copy, because it contains glue everywhere.

You obviously like your lens and it's doing a great job for you. Be cautioned, never allow fungus to grow in your lens. Once it does, that's the end. Sad

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is a marvellous lens and your images are excellent.
I have a copy and like it very much.
During a week away recently with other photographer friends, I was given the chance to try out a Nikkor ED 80-200 f2.8.
This lens has a great reputation and I was expecting big things.
I could not get it to outperform the Vivitar under any circumstances of my regular shooting over three days, and I was happy to give it back.
Don't get me wrong - it is a great lens - but it does say something about the Vivitar as far as I am concerned.
Thanks for sharing these.
OH

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
During a week away recently with other photographer friends, I was given the chance to try out a Nikkor ED 80-200 f2.8.
I could not get it to outperform the Vivitar under any circumstances of my regular shooting over three days, and I was happy to give it back.
Don't get me wrong - it is a great lens - but it does say something about the Vivitar as far as I am concerned.
OH

I wonder how it would fair in a battle against a MD Rokkor 70-210 f/4.
My guess is a close call.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
OH

I wonder how it would fair in a battle against a MD Rokkor 70-210 f/4.
My guess is a close call.

Don't know the Rokkor, but they are supposed to be excellent.
Here are some from my Kiron Vivitar on K-10D from this morning.
OH

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful shots guys. I have 2 copies of this lens and agree there is something very special about it. I recently picked up versions 2, the Tokina, and it's pretty uninspiring. I thought I was getting a copy of the 3rd version, the prized Komine, but ended up with the Cosina. It's got the same thread size as the 3rd version. Honestly, I like it better than the Tokina.

Again, excellent shots.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful photos.. !
I have the Tokina version and I love it...

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for good words and your photos are great as well, such vivid colours.

guardian: Actually my lens has a few spots of fungus inside. Some time ago I almost succeed in cleaning this lens (another copy which had a lot of fungus almost on all elements) except the fungus on the inside of the rear element which was utterly painful to get into. Rest of the lens was a little problematic to disassemble, mostly in my opinion by soft screws which are easy to destroy even with proper screwdriver.

I'll going to clean my copy at some point, but I know I need several hours of free time and peace at home to do so Wink.

Cheers
Mateusz

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Komine and the Kiron version, and prefer the Komine mainly for its size. It balances better on my X-E1 than the Kiron version. As far as servicing/maintaining the Kiron, I can recommend the service manual found halfway down the page at http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_507.html

The thread locker/glue is used liberally (on the name ring, for instance) and is apparently dissolved/softened with acetone (according to the manual). I used naphta which also worked well.

As far as image quality goes, I have no complaints (Komine):

Bike outing by scepticswe, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenetik wrote:
the prized Komine

I've had a copy of Komine version, it absolutely was not better. I made out like a bandit when I sold it though Smile

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
kenetik wrote:
the prized Komine

I've had a copy of Komine version, it absolutely was not better. I made out like a bandit when I sold it though Smile

Lol Gardener. I think this thread shows that in the right hands any of these lenses can do some amazing stuff.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first copy I bought of version 1 looked like it was used in a war. It's got scratches on the body, some fungus and debris inside and I guess the grip was coming off because the owner wrapped electrical tape around it. I bought a nicer version I use, but after comparing new/unblemished to the war torn first copy still has really good IQ, warts and all. All I can say using this design on a modern camera is Ellis Betensky was a genius.

The two vivtar articles with interviews put together by Steevithak on camera-wiki are fascinating. Especially the part where Ellis Betensky presented version 1 to Vivitar/Ponder and Best along with a bill for a million dollars in computer time (6 million in current dollars)! Then lawsuits were filed by Betensky's employer in CT claiming they actually owned the lens design. What a history.

http://blog.camera-wiki.org/2012/03/13/vivitar-historical-research-part-1/

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst we have the Series 1's up here floating around.

You Auzzies might be interested;

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/randwick/non-digital-cameras/camera-pentax-mz-50/1044720318

I can't tell if that's a series 4 or 5 from here.

I'm honestly after a M42 series 1/2 But $50 seems like a cheap way to get one.

You folk with the later ones, worth the punt?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the later Sigma AF version? The only one of the first 5 series ones MFs that topped out at 1:4 macro was the second one, the Tokina, and that doesn't look like the one I have.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
Whilst we have the Series 1's up here floating around.

You Auzzies might be interested;

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/randwick/non-digital-cameras/camera-pentax-mz-50/1044720318

I can't tell if that's a series 4 or 5 from here.

I'm honestly after a M42 series 1/2 But $50 seems like a cheap way to get one.

You folk with the later ones, worth the punt?

I would pass on the later ones - everything that I have read suggests that they are not in the same league.
There are several M42 Kiron versions available on ebay currently and the prices are good.
OH

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh wait. maybe the clues lie in the camera its attached too.

That Pentax Mz50 had a crippled K-mount. That lens would have to have automatic aperture (A) setting for it to be of any use of that camera.

Either way it's probably a Cosina?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
oh wait. maybe the clues lie in the camera its attached too.

That Pentax Mz50 had a crippled K-mount. That lens would have to have automatic aperture (A) setting for it to be of any use of that camera.

Either way it's probably a Cosina?

Definitely a Cosina (or maybe not - see below).
For around the same price or a little more you can get a Kiron version.
OH

Last edited by Oldhand on Mon May 12, 2014 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers OH Cool

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kiron version also comes in a PK mount if that helps.
OH

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look like any of the first 5 MF models, I have the Cosina too. It looks like an AF 70-210. Vivitar hung onto the Series 1 thing for marketing (still do, they have a not so good 85mm they are selling now as series 1, since they stopped rebadging the Samyang). I read there are later AF versions made by Sigma and perhaps others. I think this is one of them. As mentioned, the macro in your photo ad goes to 1:4, the cosinas went to 1:2.5 and the Kiron was 1:2.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was walking out the back to hang out washing this morning and there was a brief window of sunlight on the cottoneaster.
Dropped the washing and picked up the K-10D which had the Vivitar attached.
Shot wide open.
Here ya go.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful light on the leaves

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still my favorite manual zoom lens. It's not easy getting flying airplanes in focus however.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Kiron version too...takes excellent pix...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mfkita wrote:
I like the Kiron version too...takes excellent pix...

+1 for Kiron