Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 200mm f3.0 - Help Needed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 200mm f3.0 - Help Needed Reply with quote

Hi All and Warm Greetings.

This is my first post here.
I did a search and was not able to find a posting on my problem.
Please do guide me if there is an existing article on this.

I have aquired a Vivitar Series 1 200mm f3.0 lens for the PK mount.
It is in very nice condition, glass is clear, and very little marks on it.
However, it does not focus to infinity, almost but not there.
I also feel it is clearly softer than my Vivitar 200mm f3.5 and Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm (komine) at similar apertures.

I have some experience in lens repair with the Takumar 50mm 1.4 and Vivitar 200mm f3.5.
However, I want to be very careful with this cult classic.
Do advise me if you have simiar experiences.
Many Thanks.

Last edited by mfnut on Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mfnut,

Welcome to the forum. I don't own a S1 200/3, but I sure would like to Cool

There are a few members here who own this lens and may be able to provide you with some detailed assistance.

Question: upon examining the lens, does it look like it's ever been apart before? When you rack it to infinity, does the infinity mark not line up, indicating this problem? It almost sounds to me as if the focusing helical was removed and not put back on right.

For more detailed answers to lens and camera repair, I like to refer folks over to the KY Forum. Very knowledgeable repair guys hang out there and can provide you with useful information.

(click on maintenance and repair)
http://www.kyphoto.com/cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi?pg=topics

What sort of camera are you using with your Vivitar? Once you get your problems straightened out, be sure and post some pics from your S1 200/3 here.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch... many thanks for the warm welcome and the link.

At infinity focus....
The distance scale line up at the infinity mark
The front barrell also retracts fully

These are my observations....
There is only 1 screw behind the hood, it does not look to be unscrewed before. However I do feel some play on the front barrell when I twist it... about 2-3mm left and right. The front element does turn with this free play.
There are 3 screws on the ring just below the grip... there are some paint loss which indicates they could be unscrewed before. There is also some play 1-2mm left and right on this ring.
There no marks on the screws on the mount... but they look sturdy enough to withstand unscrewing without leaving any marks.

I put this lens on my Pentax K-X (DSLR) and K10D.
Yes, I will definitely put up pics if I can get the problems sorted.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've solve the infinity problem.

I was about to take it apart when I realize the front retaining ring was a bit lose.
I tightened it and the front element went down ~1mm.

It now focus to infinity Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello mfnut. I don't typically look in this forum, so didn't see your post until now. I have a S1 200mm and am a big fan of it. I see you resolved the infinity problem; did that also fix the softness problem? I find mine to be very sharp - definitely more so than my f/3.5 and I have also compared it to my Minolta beercan at 200mm and it was sharper than the beercan as well.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Hello mfnut. I don't typically look in this forum, so didn't see your post until now. I have a S1 200mm and am a big fan of it. I see you resolved the infinity problem; did that also fix the softness problem? I find mine to be very sharp - definitely more so than my f/3.5 and I have also compared it to my Minolta beercan at 200mm and it was sharper than the beercan as well.

I've yet to give it a good run. Initial tests do show it has sharpen up.
I'll put up a series in the gallery when I can get a nice set with the lens.

Besides the optical quality... I guess many do appreciate the nice build of the original VS1 primes. They are a joy to use. Their prices have gone up quite a bit though.... Sad