Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 135mm F2.3 VMC on A7R II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious, so I took a look on eBay just now for 135mm f/2 lenses, and got a couple hits, both Canon FD and Nikon 135/2's. Prices are roughly in the same ballpark as the Vivitar S1. So this got me to wondering which I'd prefer . . . I think I'd lean more toward the Canon or Nikon over the Vivitar S1. But I'm also wondering how they compare to the S1 in terms of optical performance. Anyone here have any experience comparing one of these others against the S1 135mm?

I don't mean to derail this thread, but I am curious.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I was curious, so I took a look on eBay just now for 135mm f/2 lenses, and got a couple hits, both Canon FD and Nikon 135/2's. Prices are roughly in the same ballpark as the Vivitar S1. So this got me to wondering which I'd prefer . . . I think I'd lean more toward the Canon or Nikon over the Vivitar S1. But I'm also wondering how they compare to the S1 in terms of optical performance. Anyone here have any experience comparing one of these others against the S1 135mm?

Get a used Samyang for about $300 if you want a sharp lens with low CA. The Vivitar, which is a budget lens with excellent build quality, can be found for $50 to $60 only.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Get a used Samyang for about $300 if you want a sharp lens with low CA. The Vivitar, which is a budget lens with excellent build quality, can be found for $50 to $60 only.

That used Samyang price is more than what clean used Canon and Nikon 135/2's are selling for on eBay right now. And the Vivitar S1 135 -- its prices are MUCH higher than $50-60 on eBay as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

I've seen stuff with the Nikon 135mm f/2--it too is great lens. I think most people, if for no other reason than they are OEM, would lean to the Canon or Nikon. For me, I've always loved the underdog, in all walks of life--kind of an American thing, I think. Of course, I own many, many Nikon lenses too, but this Vivitar really does bring home the IQ. I should note, all my shots were Raw, which I processed to my personal taste. The original RAWs have dead-on colors.

notheworthy IMO:
Viv has the built in hood
Viv has half-stop detents

Here are some pics of the one I own, with a Wide Open shot @ distance

#5 WIDE OPEN