Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar MC 17mm f/3.5 Some Samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Vivitar MC 17mm f/3.5 Some Samples Reply with quote

Nice little lens (rebranded Tokina 17mm f/3.5 ). Decent sharpness and contrast. Noticeable mustache-style distortion on FF. Few samples for you. (#2,3 - f/3.5 , #4,5,6 - f11).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice images!

I don't see much distortion, the lens is going on to my ever-expanding wishlist.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very beautiful scenery !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tokina version is a great lens, which is exactly the same as the Vivitar. I use it on the NEX and the distortion is so small it's not a problem. I borrowed a Sigma Filtermatic 16 / 2.8 and the distortion with that lens was very noticeable, to the point that I didn't buy the Sigma even at a very good price, I had also tried a Tokina and stuck out until I found one, and I'm glad I did.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favoritte lenses to. I have just used it on a holliday trip to Italy, where a stream and waterfalls in the backyard gave room for some experiments with this little gem.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful, impressive photos!

A lens to die for.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
The Tokina version is a great lens, which is exactly the same as the Vivitar. I use it on the NEX and the distortion is so small it's not a problem. I borrowed a Sigma Filtermatic 16 / 2.8 and the distortion with that lens was very noticeable, to the point that I didn't buy the Sigma even at a very good price, I had also tried a Tokina and stuck out until I found one, and I'm glad I did.

The Sigma is a fisheye, the Vivitar is rectilinear, so I would expect a lot more distortion with the Sigma.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Nice images!

I don't see much distortion, the lens is going on to my ever-expanding wishlist.

Distortion affects more the straight lines near the edges of the frame. When the horizon passes through the center of the frame, like in the pictures by the OP, the distortion does not appear. In any case, with a wide-angle lens of good quality, distortion is small and requires trained eye to be seen.

Perhaps the article below is useful to understand better the differences between barrel, pincushion and complex distortion:
http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/distortion.html

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar MC 17mm f/3.5 Some Samples Reply with quote

Cobb wrote:

Love this one! Great wide angle lens

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely results! I own the Tokina version, which i used a few days ago for some night shots:

Kermis Vlissingen by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were some beautiful clouds in the sky just now, and the perfect lens for the job was the Tokina 17, and I had a quick session in the garden as well.
I have adjusted levels slightly on a couple of these, but there's no sharpening at all, taken at ISO 100 and somewhere between wide open and f8 on the Sony A6000. The distortion can be seen, but it isn't bad and can easily be corrected in PP.

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20147/big_1849_Tokina_17_35__two_1.jpg]
[/url]