Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Auto wide 28mm - which mount is this?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Vivitar Auto wide 28mm - which mount is this? Reply with quote

I just won this happy camper from a nice seller on eBay.

I've asked the seller, but just in case: which mount is this?

Here's the original listing.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261603818212?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Minolta mount, however in this case it's interchangeable - it's a T4 lens.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gardener!

I'm going to use it on a 5Dmk2. Is it better to use a Minolta adapter or a T4 adapter?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryanbarlin wrote:
Thanks Gardener!

I'm going to use it on a 5Dmk2.

Is it better to use a Minolta adapter or a T4 adapter?

It's not going to work on 5D2 as Minolta - the register distance is too small, and, sadly, there's no T4/TX to EOS adapter. To use you need to procure M42 or Nikon back - then you can use M42-EOS adapter to mount it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to resurrect an old topic - hopefully someone can help me figure this out.

I've tried both a TX to m42 (Vivitar) and a T4 to Nikon (Also Vivitar) adapter and neither seems to actually fit this thing.

Here's an image, but it seems like maybe I am missing a part or something?
They just seem to be large enough or have no part to screw in as far as I can see.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get us a picture with the Minolta mount removed and we might be able to see what's going on?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be the part i'm getting wrong.

How do I remove the Minolta mount exactly? This stuff is new to me. Is that the two screws on the side near the O <-> L bit that sticks out?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a T2 mount on that lens, or any removable / interchangeable mount. It's a Minolta fit lens, just like the two I have in front of me.
EDIT. I've looked at the ebay pictures, it might be T2. in which case the rearmost knurled bit should screw off. My lenses are Komine, the ebay lens is Tokina.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realised I did not include it from a different angle. Here's some more photos if that helps, of the lens and the adapters I bought.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i7aaofukq6zq1e7/AAA4fFEcQZM7tfKrSuWvV9yqa?dl=0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the side of the lens, there's a protruding "bump" with arrows pointing at O & L (open & lock), also it has silver pin on top. Just push that pin in, and turn the ring on which that bump is placed on, in a direction of O, while gripping on the barrel of the lens firmly. This interchangeable mount is wonky at best and requires getting used to,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, a TX mount. They are a fiddle and can be tight. The last picture on the ebay listing just shows it when magnified.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! I managed to get it off. Thanks so much.

Still, I am failing as a man. (Yes it's true!) I have been attempting to lock either of my new adapters into the hole.

Is there a trick to this part too that i'm overlooking?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Vivitar TX is actually very easy to mount and dismount. Obviously you have dismounted it by moving the ring anti clock wise - A.C.W. -when the little chrome button is pressed and lifting the mount out.
To replace it, align the green dots, making sure the locking ring is fully A.C.W. And the pin on the mount is aligned with the green dot. Then the lock ring ring is turned clock wise and the chrome button ratchets three times when it is properly located.

There is also a Soligor version of this mount that is very similar and can be made to fit, but the subtle differences can be a problem. My Vivitar adapter fits the Soligor lens far better then the Soligor adapter on the Vivitar lens, even after subtle modification.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See here - original instructions for T4/TX mount:
http://www.suaudeau.eu/memo/Manuels/Soligor_T4.pdf

in a nutshell: line up the arrows.

apropos Lloydy's remarks I can say that I am using soligor T4 m42 mount on my viv 300mm TX mount no prob.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real problem I had using the mounts swapped between Vivitar and Soligor was the release button / ratchet thing jammed in one combination. The mechanism was fractionally too close to the center of the lens, so I unscrewed it and placed one layer of paper under the release button and that fixed it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're on this, does anyone have a fix for the M42 T4 mount?
I am using one with a mft -M42 adapter and although the mount has a stop down dial, this isn't like a standard A-M switch. It only stops down while it is held. I would rather that the aperture closed down with rotation of the aperture collar. Has anyone managed to achieve this with these mounts?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best solution is to use an M42 adapter with a flange to press the pin.

Without that, its quite easy to open the T4 adapter unit and disable the mechanism. I did that for one of mine until I had a flanged M42 adapter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Vivitat adapter - I think I did the Helios trick and used a bit of cotton bud stem over the pin. There's no issue with opening them up, there's no springs and stuff likely to fly out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK great cheers Lloydy, Luis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much guys, hadn't even thought of googling for the manuals.

Quote:
The only real problem I had using the mounts swapped between Vivitar and Soligor was the release button / ratchet thing jammed in one combination. The mechanism was fractionally too close to the center of the lens, so I unscrewed it and placed one layer of paper under the release button and that fixed it.

Haha, this just happened actually and may be why i'm having problem with having it lock in.