Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 90-230mm OR Mamiya Sekor 90-230mm Lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Vivitar 90-230mm OR Mamiya Sekor 90-230mm Lens Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm quit new here, sorry for error in my first post.
FWY, I have a Canon t2i (550d).

I bought those 2 lens recently from local seller. They are both m42 mount lens.

I'm asking myself witch one I should keep. I'm currently listing the Mamiya on ebay, but I can cancel the auction until next week.

The first one is read Vivitar 90-230mm 1:4.5 Close focusing auto zoom

hXXp://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Vivitar_90-230mm_f/4.5_Close_Focus

The second one read Auto Mamiya Sekor Zoom SX 1:4.5 f=90-230mm

hXXp://mamiya-nc-m42.mflenses.com/m42_mamiya_sx_90-230_4.5.htm#OldVersion (see the bottom most part, I got the old version)

I really like the Vivitar, I've already took nice picture with it (witch I need to upload on flikr). The lens is in good shape, minor dust inside and a little scratch on the front element. My only concern with this one is that it doesn't have a tripod collar (ring). I find it a bit heavy (scary) to use a tripod with only the camera supporting the weight of the lens. Other than that, the macro mode + zoom on the same lens made it a perfect "all around" lens.

As for the Mamiya, the lens is in pristine condition, almost no dust inside and the front and rear element are "like new". It's a nice lens, but there's an issue with the mount. From what I can tell googling around, its a special "SX" mount. It has a lip/edge all around the aperture ring that block a standard m42 adapter to be properly fixed. Also, there is the "SX" pin that also block the m42 adapter. I can fix an adapter, but it the lens won't focus to infinity.

On the plus side, it has a tripod mount. I did some test shot with a m42 2x converter (Sekor brand, got it with the Vivitar lens). The converter is smaller than the m42 adapter, thus is doesn't hit the pin or aperture ring. It was fun to use a tripod, but the doubler did reduce IQ. Not having a macro mode is a bit of a let down if I need an "all around" lens.

So here's my dilemma :

1. Keep the Vivitar and find a way to make a tripod collar. My only problem is that the lens doesn't have much "spare" space. The collar would need to be ~8mm thick.

2. Keep the Mamiya and grind the m42 adapter until it fit. It shouldn't be that hard, but as I'm in an apartment, I don't have much power tool.

I did have more fun with the Vivitar. That's mainly why I listed the Mamiya on ebay, as I can only use it at ~60% of it's potential.

The only reason I'm asking is because the Mamiya is really in pristine condition. I'm really new to old/manual lens, that's why I'm asking for your guidance. It would be quite sad to let it go if it's a really good lens.

I could keep both of them, but I need the money Rolling Eyes

edit : It seem that my URL broke hell loose, I'll see if I can fix them

edit2 : fixed... change hXXp to http. Sorry Shocked

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are really the same Tokina lens, just with minor adaptations.
I have the Mamiya and it works fine on my Pentax with an M42 adapter.

Keep the Vivitar, there is no need to deal with the mount problems and the glass issues you mention are trivial.

Don't bother with a tripod, this is a great hand-holdable lens under nearly all circumstances. If you do need a tripod for something, don't worry about the weight, believe it or not this was considered a lightweight zoom by the standards of the time (late 1970's). Your Canon has a metal lensmount, it should be able to handle that.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the Vivitar. A great little lens and I've shot hundreds of tripod shots with mine and no ill effect. It is a very nice hand held lens as well.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all! I'll keep the ebay listing alive and see how it goes.

Thanks for the info about the tripod, I'll give it a try.
I'm still thinking about a simple PVC pipe tripod support. I'll try to post a guide if I ever build it.