Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 85/1.8 T-Mount samples
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 85/1.8 T-Mount samples Reply with quote

I received this hidden gem as part of an OM1 package just recently (anyone want an OM1 by the way? Laughing ).

The lens had a little fungus, but was really easy to take apart and clean. The result? A nice clean, fast 85mm prime Smile

I took the 85 for a quick run out last weekend, some samples below, all at f1.8 or f2.8.

Front:

Side:

Other side:

Back:

On the camera:

OK, the test shots!!

My verdict? Nice heavy lens which is sharp when stepped down and lovely bokeh when not stepped down Smile

Last edited by ManualFocus-G on Fri May 01, 2009 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the results, it seems like a fine 85... but what I really dig is the expanse of see through glass on that lens... cool

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely lens, very desirable for collectors too.

There aren't too many of these about. It seems to have been the top of the line for Vivitar. This was one of the first lenses sold under that brand.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we can work out a swap for the OM-1!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I've added some more lens shots as the others were touch blurry!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the most underestimated 85mm lens. I like it very much and it's one o my favourite 8xmm lens Smile

Very nice shots!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desirable lens. I tried to get similar focal lengths in other brands and I was always outbid as my budget seems to be at a shorter focal lengths only. Good job. I see you have a Sony.
gil

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My god man, you are just THE best lens hunter!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
My god man, you are just THE best lens hunter!

It remains my second most expensive lens behind the superb Tamron SP 60-300 for £39 Laughing

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bid on more than a dozen of these in the last 2 years and never came close. Very nice lens. I love the preset lens the best. Just seems to work great with digital cameras.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are the best lens hunter!

If you get tired of the Viv or the 60-300 tammy let me know. Laughing

In the meantime, have you still got the OM-1 and what do you want for it?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Haha thanks! My 1st choice collection is almost complete now...and it's all cost about the same as a reasonably decent modern zoom lens!! Some of the items I managed to find incredibly cheap e.g. Pentacon 135/2.8 pre-set for £5.95 Shocked

As for the OM1, I'll take a proper look at it tonight (don't want to sell anyone a duffer!) and get back to you. Casual Collector has first dibs at the moment Smile

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

Haha thanks! My 1st choice collection is almost complete now...and it's all cost about the same as a reasonably decent modern zoom lens!! Some of the items I managed to find incredibly cheap e.g. Pentacon 135/2.8 pre-set for £5.95 Shocked

As for the OM1, I'll take a proper look at it tonight (don't want to sell anyone a duffer!) and get back to you. Casual Collector has first dibs at the moment Smile

Cheers

I picked up a Meyer 135 preset for £5 and a mint Pentacon preset for £8.

No worries about the OM1. He's likely to use it more than me anyway as I only have 1 OM lens. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Shrek wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

Cheers

I picked up a Meyer 135 preset for £5 and a mint Pentacon preset for £8.

Shocked Shocked Good work!! Cool

I saw a Meyer 135 go on ebay for £70 just recently Laughing

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I saw a Meyer 135 go on ebay for £70 just recently

They vary so much. I see them for a tenner one day then similar to the price you saw.

I think they're over-rated to be honest. Oh, I've pulled the pin. Now I run. Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Quote:
I saw a Meyer 135 go on ebay for £70 just recently

They vary so much. I see them for a tenner one day then similar to the price you saw.

I think they're over-rated to be honest. Oh, I've pulled the pin. Now I run. Wink

BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it. At $ 49 because nobody in Buenos Aires wanted it, it seemed.

It's a tokina lens (very similar to a mamiya/sekor lenses).

Close focus 1,4 m (that not good)

A planar design, six in four.

Excelent center at F/4 (perhaps the better center). The evenest rendering is at F/8. Something cold.

Nice, and for $ 49 it's good.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I never own any of them , but I think based on samples this is a nice lens.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favourite 85mm lenses Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one too, the missing close focus is a bit annoying. Wide open it is rather a soft focus lens, but stepped down it gets accepatbly sharp and much better contrast. The T-mount comes handy, esp. when you need Nikon mount.

Last edited by kds315* on Thu May 21, 2009 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Got one too, the missing close focus is a bot annoying and wide opens it is rather a soft focus lens, but stepped down it gets accepatbly sharp and much better contrast. The T-mount comes handy, esp. when you need Nikon mount.

Klauss, I'm happy that you can got one too. I felt something guilty.

It seems to me that you don't like the lens so much Very Happy

I like all the lenses between 50 and 85 mm. In spite of that, can say that it seems to me a lens with character and my copy is specially sharp in the center to F/4.

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I like 75-85mm lenses a lot and it has its own, unique character, so of course I like to have it added to my lenses!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have added more samples from this lens shot on my full frame 6D into the gallery:

http://forum.mflenses.com/return-to-1945s-steam-vivitar-85-1-8-preset-t55634.html