Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 800mm f8 non-mirror - anybody know it?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Vivitar 800mm f8 non-mirror - anybody know it? Reply with quote

I just forked out $750 for a Vivitar 800/8 refractor (non-mirror) lens attached to a well preserved Nikon F with the FTN metering head. It is rather a gamble, as I cannot find anything worth mentioning about this lens on the Net - not ever a shop price - but $500-600 (depending on the value of the camera) for a good condition, fast(ish) 800mm prime seems like a bargain, and I know that Vivitar was trying to be a top-end lens maker in the 60s, before moving down a bit to the mass market.

An interesting feature of this looooong lens is that it splits in two to fit into its carrying case (the case is the shape you would have for binoculars) which strikes me as a fantastic advantage for birding trips or other nature photography. It looks as if it has a T-mount that could be switched for my Canon gear, or I could just get the Nikon-Canon adapter.

Has anybody tried this lens, or does anyone have samples of photos shot with it? It will be some time before it reaches me so it would be nice to see what it can do. So far, a few old shots of a total eclipse is all I have found - and that is hardly a fair test (particularly as the photographer's other photos are not well exposed).

Vivitar had a famous (if not amazingly sharp) 800mm mirror lens that it made about the same time as this; the long refractor seems to be much rarer. Any details would be welcome.

Thanks
- Paul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so it is good value for money.If I need 800mm I rather use 1.4 TC+ well known 400 or 500mm glass.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, well, if it is rubbish e-bay can have it back Wink

I can't even find it among the list of Vivitar lenses on Wiki - the highest they go to on refracting glass is 600mm f8, with the reflector only listed as 800mm.

Have you come across it before, Attila? You can probably still see item 360117178658 on e-bay.

(PS: I haven't had time to run tests on those two 20mm Fleks I bought from you yet - I've been working flat-out shooting for a job since they arrived).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this lens on Ebay at this item number. I wasn't interest long lenses from third party makers, so I don't remember any of them. Why do you need this long lens ? Perhaps we can give you more ideas for workaround if we now your goal.

I hope you will have less busy under holiday season and able to try them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want it for bird/nature photography (it is the season for birding in the Middle East). Since I've bought it, I will see how it works out. I've got the Orestegor 500 but it is rather hard to lug about and, in any case, is much shorter.

I've never had a Nikon before ... it'll be interesting to see that famous old workhorse close-up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt about quality of any long lenses. I think 500mm maximum what is provide usable pictures. Any chance to get closer for birds ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own this lens under the Soligor Brand . I paid it 90 € p&p included .
Good lens , but quite unusable without a heavy tripod or a good stabilizer body . Another copy appeared on ebay.fr at beginning of this year , and was sold under 100 € too. I think it is definitively not a bargain at $500 . $200 would be the maximum I'll give for this lens . I put it in the "curiosities and relics" category ...
I think the best would be a Noflexar 600mm , with the quick focusing system . Very efficient , prices can be under $300 .
I own it with a 280 mm , usable at full aperture.

Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen several of those lenses & the shots taken with them did not impress me. If I'm not mistaken, it's a pre-set lenses as well. BTW, when Vivitar started out, their lenses were targeted at the consumer market. It wasn't until the late 70's early 80's that they came out with their Series One lenses that were meant to compete with OEM products....Most of the 60's glass was only so so in terms of quality. As Atilla has said, most long lenses over 500mm are not so hot...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , it is a preset / T2 mount .The most seen on the bay is the "wundertüte" 8/500 , and his 400 /6,3 , 300/5,6 variants . The Soligor , Vivitar "big guns" are however better .
I'm missing the 600mm version , only to place it in the showcase after the 800, before the Telemegor 500, Telemegor 400, 300, etc ... Impressive "or
gan pipes" rank ... Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a very similar Tokina 800mm f/8 around, my guess is it is the same lens. Check out the photo at the bottom of the page here:

http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3665

The pics of your ebay lens shows the lens with its optical sight in the wrong place. You should screw the rod now attached to the tripod mount into the focussing part of the lens, and turn the lens head in a way the forked thingy is on top. This will give you something similar to a basic gun sight.

My guess is also that this is top money from a users perspective. But such lenses do have their charm. I just bought a second Novoflex grip with a Leitz Telyt 560/6.8 head, I couldn't stop myself.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooopps! Looks like I've been had, then Embarassed

Never mind, live and learn. And you can all have a good laugh at my (literally!) expense Shocked

Maybe it will still deliver some decent results, though. I can live in hope. Confused

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DickB. I shall reconstruct it when it arrives.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least , it will give similar results than my Soligor copy (the bird) ! I didn't try it with a stabilized body (Pentax !) , i'm convinced it is over "so-so" ....
Now we are 2 guys owning the same big gun ! Welcome ! We can make a side-by-side ... Next time , a "drilling" Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quality is so so because it is usually a 2 lens/1 group construction - NON tele - just long focal - (the 2 lenses are at top of the lens.. the barrel does not hold anything)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However....an assumption of quality is all inherent in comparisons to the creme de la creme of lenses.

I've been finding that lenses that are considered mediocre or barely adequate in "quality" STILL give me personal satisfaction.

I'm sure that if I had a Vivitar 800 for birding, it would be a very useful tool. And of course, if I had also a Carl Zeiss "big gun" and compared them, the Zeiss would probably win. But that still wouldn't negate the usefulness and fun that I could have with a "birding Vivitar 800".

Congratulations on your purchase! Try it out, enjoy both of the items you acquired. And that 800 will REALLY get you into some fine bird shots! Also, like you say, if it is REALLY lousy, head for the selling column of eBay!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I realise the need to be VERY precise in focus, exposure, solid mount etc. I intend to use it on a 5D rather than the Nikon F (which is an interesting beast and a bit of solid SLR history, too) so I will know exactly how the exposure is.
I'd better not climb any water towers - I've already been arrested once for photographing too close to a military area!