Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 70-150mm, F3.8 macro focusing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 70-150mm, F3.8 macro focusing Reply with quote

I am getting a lot of my photographys done these two weeks while flowers are still on the tree. This is from one of my favorite flower picture taking lens: Vivitar 70-150, F3.8, close focusing, made by Kiron. Mine is in PK mount but you can also find it in M42. The focal length is focusing distance is perfect for flowers and bugs. The lens is very high quality and very sharp even wide open. I generally shoot at 5.6 but you won't be disappointed at any aperture. These sell for peanuts on ebay so you should pick one up when the price is good. When the secret gets out, price tend to spike. I got mine with a Pentax-M 1.7 for $60.

There is another extensive discussion here at MFLens: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=15911&view=previous. My examples are all shot at 150mm end with F/3.8 or F/5.6.

Last edited by drjs on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made this lens to interesting, nice samples , great series!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
You made this lens to interesting, nice samples , great series!

I was totally surprised by the quality when I took it out of the photo bag I was given. It is well made, feels comfortable in the hand, and incredibly sharp. I really started to like these early Vivitars.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is macro,not close focusing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples,I have this lens sitting on the shelf you have prompted me to go out and try it. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this lens also come in nikon ai mount? I believe it does, mine looks alike and is N-Ai mount... or is this a different version?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mballx wrote:
it is macro,not close focusing

Really? I thought it was close focusing 1:2.5 or something like that. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimithing616 wrote:
Does this lens also come in nikon ai mount? I believe it does, mine looks alike and is N-Ai mount... or is this a different version?

Mine is PK mount. I believe it is also commonly available in M42. Not sure about AI but it would make sense.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I specifically says "macro focusing zoom", I have one in Nikon Ai. It's a great lens, but the focus throw is ridiculously short.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong link above (leads to Nikkor 180mm ED...).
Here's the goog link I think :

http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-kiron-70-150-3-8-close-focusing-auto-zoom-m42-t15577,highlight,%2Bvivitar+%2Bclose+%2Bfocusing.html

(And, here, another one BTW) :

http://forum.mflenses.com/so-beautifulvivitar-70-150-3-8-close-focusing-zoom-t57578,highlight,%2Bvivitar+%2Bclose+%2Bfocusing.html

What is the minimum focus distance in Close Focus mode ? Short I think, very short ?.
(Normal mfd, 2.5m)
(C F at 70mm).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind, there are two completely different (mechanically and optically) versions of the 70-150mm f/3.8. The older two-ring version has the separate macro mode at 70mm, whereas the newer push-pull version described in this thread will focus closely at all focal lengths.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the one touch version and I just checked and it does say "macro focusing". Thanks for pointing this out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks, I was confused ; So there is a correlative question : Do we know what is the macro ratio of this one-touch ?

Whe know that the Tamron 70-150 20A (one of mine during the film era) reach 1:3 (at 0.7m).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenix jc wrote:
OK, thanks, I was confused ; So there is a correlative question : Do we know what is the macro ratio of this one-touch ?

Whe know that the Tamron 70-150 20A (one of mine during the film era) reach 1:3 (at 0.7m).

The great interweb says it is 1:5 at 150mm. If you ask me, that is not even remotely close to being a macro. Shocked Must be a marketing thing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Vivitar (Kiron) 70-150 CF 3.8 Two Ring Zoom Reply with quote

I have the same spec lens in the two ring configuration and I think it may be similar in performance to yours.
I like it.

Here are some images taken with this lens:

And here are some Close Focus images:

All images are cropped from the originals and were taken on Nikon D300
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some good results with the two ring close focus version in FD mount, this was shot on T-Max 400 with a Canon AE-1.

An Element of Quiet Focus by hjl, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice lens (on a film camera), and good enough for a poor man's macro (well for close up shots)...the only weakness with my 2 touch version is at the 150mm lens.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
It's a nice lens (on a film camera), and good enough for a poor man's macro (well for close up shots)...the only weakness with my 2 touch version is at the 150mm lens.

Is there a big difference in image quality between the 1 touch and 2 touch versions? On APS-C(1.6 crop), the 150mm fully open performance is quiet respectable.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Is there a big difference in image quality between the 1 touch and 2 touch versions? On APS-C(1.6 crop), the 150mm fully open performance is quiet respectable.

Well I did look into this a few years ago, and from what I've read:- the 1T was slightly sharper than the 2T but the tests weren't scientific so with copy variation would think there wasn't much difference...the similar Kiron 70-150 is just as good and when you come to think of it, the 70-150 seemed to be popular once and many makers made decent zooms in this range. e,g, Nikon, Zuiko etc and even have a Pentax 75-150mm which is good.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice lens, i have the 2 touch version.. and this lens is the best value lens i have ever put on my camera!
very good performance,not heavy(even with the adapter),built in hood,constant aperture,close focusing,f3.8...
and best of all is one of the cheapest parfocal lens! so great for video!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great and sharp samples!

Vivitars are usually undervalued. I got one with my Olympus OM-10 (Vivitar 28 mm 1:2.8 MC Close Focus Wide Angle) and it was amazing on Lumix G2! I waited far too long to test it. It's sharp and has a nice macro.

Vivitars are not fastest lenses, but great quality! Smile
Ergonomics is also an advantage.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
can you please help me understand what this close focusing works? I am able to work to the total zoom range and at the same time being able to focus on very short ranges? It sounds great to be true, especially that this lens costs just a few dollars. What is hidden here that I do not see??

Alex

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaios wrote:
Hi,
can you please help me understand what this close focusing works? I am able to work to the total zoom range and at the same time being able to focus on very short ranges? It sounds great to be true, especially that this lens costs just a few dollars. What is hidden here that I do not see??

Alex

Unfortunately it is really just a marketing gimmicks. Macro/close focus doesn't really mean it has a separate mode to engage but rather it just can supposedly focus closer comparing to other lenses of same focal distance. I think this lens's closet focal distance is around a meter. For a 150 mm, it is not bad, but not great either. Sad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjs wrote:
Unfortunately it is really just a marketing gimmicks. ... I think this lens's closet focal distance is around a meter.

No, that is not correct.
Closest distance is 39 cm in "Close focus" mode.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good! Most 2x zoom range lenses are pretty good, especially in tele range. This 70-150 similar good from Tamron , Nikon etc.