Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar (Kiron) 70-150/3.8 Close Focusing Auto Zoom M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Vivitar (Kiron) 70-150/3.8 Close Focusing Auto Zoom M42 Reply with quote

This little beauty is the less common little brother of the extremely common Kiron-made 85-205/3.8 zoom.

Note that Vivitar called this one "close-focus" while the 85-205 in this case is "macro". Other slightly different versions of the 85-205/3.8 were also referred to as "close focus". While the larger version was sold by almost everyone in the early-mid 1970's, under at least 25 brands, this 70-150 seems to have been sold mainly by Vivitar.

It is a similar lens to the 85-205 in every way, with two-touch operation and a "close-focus" or "macro" setting that is engaged by turning the zoom ring past its minimum focal length. In this case it seems to work like a 70mm in "close focus" mode. Its a true constant-aperture zoom. It seems to hold focus while zooming, but not too precisely as far as I can tell. It also has the manual-auto switch (so useful on M42 lenses) that was beginning to disappear in the 1970's. The sliding hood is just as tiny and useless as the 85-205.

The minimum focus is 5ft/2.5m (when its not in "close focus" mode), which isn't close enough to my taste for a zoom, and the need to switch to "close focus" is inconvenient and one loses the focal length for a "standoff" distance, which is what I like about many zooms. But thats how it was back in those days. It is a rather limited zoom range, but still useful for framing, if you like to do that through zooming. Think of it as a replacement for a 135mm.

Performance is excellent, certainly matching its big brother. It is slightly soft and there is a "bit of a "glow" (spherical abberration?) at f/3.8, but its as sharp as my sensor can distinguish from half a stop under that. There is no problem with contrast and little detectable flare shooting close to the sun, though I would recommend a hood.

The bird -

crop -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That lens came in two flavors, the 2 touch as you show here & a one touch (which I have)...I'm still looking to get either the 1.5x or the 2x matched multipliers for this lens. I won one on eBay, but it turned out to be the wrong mount (I have since sold the lens to Big Dawg)....I may have a 2x version coming my way soon though...They are nice lenses fop the small amount of money that they sell for. I got mine as "new" old stock from Adorama.........( Kino made lens as per the #22 serial #'s)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff once again! I love the bird shot with the open mouth Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots Luis. I've had a copy for about 6 hours !. Initial impressions mirror yours although I've only got a few indoor shots at the moment.

Special thanks for the information on the 85-205. I was thinking of one of the 70-210s but this looks like a nice alternative.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screamin Scott wrote:
That lens came in two flavors, the 2 touch as you show here & a one touch (which I have)...I'm still looking to get either the 1.5x or the 2x matched multipliers for this lens. I won one on eBay, but it turned out to be the wrong mount (I have since sold the lens to Big Dawg)....I may have a 2x version coming my way soon though...They are nice lenses fop the small amount of money that they sell for. I got mine as "new" old stock from Adorama.........( Kino made lens as per the #22 serial #'s)

I have the 2-touch zoom with a 2x matched multiplier in M42 mount. I am also looking for the 1.5x matched multiplier.

A wide open test shot in f/3.8

Vivitar 70-150mm f/3.8 from Kiron

I originally have one copy in K mount and I later sold it and replaced it with the same lens but in M42 mount as I got the 2x matched multiplier in the purchase. Is the multiplier equivalent to 2x TC? Perhaps, Kiron made both good lens as well as TC, I get reasonable results with the 2x multiplier.

Another question: what is the close focusing ratio on this zoom, is it 1:4 in the 70mm end? That is my guess and I have not used it on close focusing yet.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hintheman on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hintheman wrote:
Another question: what is the close focusing ratio on this zoom, is it 1:4 in the 70mm end? That is my guess and I have not used it on close focusing yet.

Yes. I get close to 1:4.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great little lens there. Also a close relative to the 75-205 two touch lens. Still need to do some shooting with mine that has some sun in it as mostly cloudy day shots so far. Wish I had your skill to go along with it though. Some very nice photos there. I am looking for an 85-205 to go with my other two touch lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dawg,

The 85-205's are all over the place, and not just with the Vivitar brand. Try Shopgoodwill.com, there are usually some there every week.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

How do you ID the Vivitar matched multipliers for these ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says right on the teleconverter itself what it mates with

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm awaiting a Vivitar 2x matched multiplier & when it arrives, I'm going to compare the results with shots using the Vivitar 2x Macro converter....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar (Kiron) 70-150/3.8 Close Focusing Auto Zoom M42 Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Think of it as a replacement for a 135mm.

It's also useful at 150mm.

A quick "roof test", at f/8, on the way home

100%

100%

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Vivitar/Kiron 70150mm Close Focus lens on Nikon mount Reply with quote

Hi,
I have just aquired one of these but sadly it has some problems...no doubt one of its previous owners has either damaged it or had it apart and put it back together incorrectly.
The first thing that was obvious is that the aperture setting cannot be moved past f11 but moves from f3.8 to f11 as normal.
Secondly the focussing seems to be a long way out...at 150mm setting infinty is at about 40 feet on the barrel....at 70mm setting infinty is at about 12 feet on the barrel and on the close focus setting it focusses throughout the focussing range at about a distance of 1 foot.
Does anyone out there have any information regarding the internal construction of the lens and how to set it up again or repair it as all the elements seem to be in A1 condition.
With fingers crossed,
Mike Sad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

I bet the previous owner had the lens mount off and put it back on improperly, that could easily be the reason for both the aperture ring problem and the lack of infinity focus.

I haven't had the mount off on mine, so I can't help there. Pictures of the mount end could help maybe.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Hi Dawg, The 85-205's are all over the place, and not just with the Vivitar brand. Try Shopgoodwill.com, there are usually some there every week.

There's an 85 - 205/3.8 at a local thrift. M42, in the box and labeled Super-Albinar. They've got it marked $15. I haven't had the courage to bite at that price. If anyone is interested I'll pick it up and ship it. It should add up to about $25 net to the lower 48, USA.

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I seem to have messed up on attaching the photo ...but the lens was aperture was set between 5.6 and he photo was taken....let me know if other photo's can be of any use....it would certainly be really nice if it was just a case of sorting the fitting out....I have only taken the other end out of lenses before to remove rubbish and the ubiquitous fungus so it could prove enlightening too....
Regards,
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't see much from that.

Are there signs of someone having unscrewed the lens mount ? Scratching around the screws ? Anything loose ?

Does the thing stop down automatically ?

If you set the thing to f/3.8, can you still see the diaphragm blades ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...it is as I originally said...moving the setting from 4 ->3.8 causes the blades to just reach max dilation and disappear....if you stand the lens on the front end and look at the 3 screws tha are in the mounts rear slot there are 2 cross head screws that lie flush and one flat slot screw that is raised and looks like it has been 'used'....of the 5 cross heads that hold the mount to the body 2 may have been tampered with.....
Is the matt black block that has the iris actuator lever in it the same design as yours ? (I have seen one looking different on a lens (same) on ebay)........
Mike
luisalegria wrote:
Well, I can't see much from that.

Are there signs of someone having unscrewed the lens mount ? Scratching around the screws ? Anything loose ?

Does the thing stop down automatically ?

If you set the thing to f/3.8, can you still see the diaphragm blades ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mount end is very different because it is M42 and yours is Nikon. My iris actuator is a pin.

It looks like your mount has been tampered with.