Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 55/2.8 macro on the Pentax Q7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Vivitar 55/2.8 macro on the Pentax Q7 Reply with quote

I wanted a shorter and smaller FL macro lens for ease of handling and hand holdability, so the Vivitar 55/2.8 macro seemed to fit the bill.

This setup takes advantage of the 4.6x crop factor of the Q7.
All images are not cropped to get any more 'magnification'.
At the most its a crop of 5-10% for composition purposes.

Last edited by pinholecam on Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderfull results for this combination, great macros... you have fun!
Happy shots Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent macro works! This lens is 1:2 on full-frame, isn't it? Did you use any tubes?

BTW your is the first Q7 I see on this forum. May I ask how do you like the camera? Crop factor aside, is it a good system for manual focus lenses?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb series, I am also curious about Q7+ manual lenses , please open a new topic a tell to us your experience!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb! And very 3D-ish.
I was watching the fly on a black background and wanted to remove my 3D glasses Wink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be a nice combo, that's some really great macro shots!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive. Cool

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
Very impressive. Cool

+1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice for a mobile phone sized sensor Smile, I guess Micro Nikkor 55 2.8 will be even more interesting on the Q

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 55/2.8 macro on the Pentax Q7 Reply with quote

pinholecam wrote:
I wanted a shorter and smaller FL macro lens for ease of handling and hand holdability, so the Vivitar 55/2.8 macro seemed to fit the bill.

This setup takes advantage of the 4.6x crop factor of the Q7.
All images are not cropped to get any more 'magnification'.
At the most its a crop of 5-10% for composition purposes.

Extreme !!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

I do think that such a high pixel density sensor is very critical on lenses.
From my usage so far my guidelines are :
1. Lenses reviewed for low res in the center in lens reviews are out.
2. Lenses with bad CA are out
3. Fast lenses with good resolution wide open and even better resolution stopped down by f4 are safe bets
4. Q7 suffers from diffraction a bit later than Q/Q10; so lenses can go f5.6 and f8 is a bit better than Q/Q10
5. Diffraction is not a sharp cliff so f8 and f11 is ok so long as it gives the DOF required. (f16 wasn't good on Q though)

Many normally used focal lengths don't seem very useful on the Q (mho) (eg. 35mm; 50mm; 85mm)
Too long to be used for many situations and too short for the extreme stuff.
Well, at least I've not found a use for them yet. Smile

tao wrote:
Excellent macro works! This lens is 1:2 on full-frame, isn't it? Did you use any tubes?

BTW your is the first Q7 I see on this forum. May I ask how do you like the camera? Crop factor aside, is it a good system for manual focus lenses?

Sorry, I am not familiar at all with calculating the magnification ratios.
Its like having to crop off 3/4 or more of a FF o/p at 1:1 to get magnifications like these.
And the Q7 o/p which is still 12mp and uncropped certainly looks better off than doing that to a FF/APS-C o/p.

No tubes are necessary.
Just the adapter for the K-mount lens.
It has the advantage of working from infinity to MFD unlike tubes and close up lenses.

I wrote my impressions of the Q7 here.
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/233063-tokyo-story-pentax-q7-real-world-review.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome pictures! What a great lens the Viv 55/2.8 is. And very versatile because of its 1:1 ratio.
I've got a couple of 55mm macro's at the moment. A Rokkor, a Nikkor 55/2.8 and the Vivitar (or actually the Panagor version).

I will soon put all three to the test in a comparison!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review. People who own a Q seems to talk about this fun factor of using a really tiny interchangeable lens camera for everyday snapshot. I almost pulled a trigger for an Evangelion Q10 but Q7 was announced so I put that on hold. Your post make my GAS relapses. Cool Fortunately for my wallet it is still not available in most places, especially the bright color ones.

I am still curious about using manual focus lens with this camera. Specifically, how good is the manual focus assisting tools like magnify glass and peaking. Is it convenience to activate these tools?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish my Nikon V2 had focus peaking... it'd elevate the camera's practicality greatly.

I'm very much committed to Nikon, but I could see myself getting a Q7 as a backup camera since I'm starting to collect more c-mount lenses in general...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Awesome pictures! What a great lens the Viv 55/2.8 is. And very versatile because of its 1:1 ratio.
I've got a couple of 55mm macro's at the moment. A Rokkor, a Nikkor 55/2.8 and the Vivitar (or actually the Panagor version).

Which do you expect to perform the best?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon1User wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

Which do you expect to perform the best?

There are some limitations because i'm using a m4/3 Panasonic G1. Resolutionwise not a bad camera though.
I think the Nikkor will probably win, because it has a reputation of being one of the sharpest macro's in this focal range, but I think the Vivitar could be pretty close.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tao wrote:

This lens is 1:1 on fullframe