Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 400mm f/5.6 - Komine - high ISO shots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 400mm f/5.6 - Komine - high ISO shots Reply with quote

I'm about to sell this one, so thought I should give it a run out, given that I've barely used it over the past year. I'd pretty much written it off as useful since buying a Canon 300/4L Sad But, to my surprise, it's actually pretty decent wide open!

First two shots at f/5.6 ISO 2500-3200 40% unsharp mask at 0.5px and contrast boost, cleaned with Topaz Denoise

This one with an old Vivitar 2x teleconverter, making it f/11, at ISO 5000 and again the same pp

I'm impressed with both the lens and the Topaz Denoise plugin for Photoshop Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results. i'm surprised to see so little CA, especially in the shot with the TC.

Is this not the same lens as reviewed in the main part of the site?

To quote there:

"Image quality is rather poor: soft at f5,6 and slightly better at f8, acceptable sharpness at f11. Chromatic Aberrations (CA) are terrible: awful red fringing on almost all pictures (see samples)"

I think Revers has also posted decent results with this lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second shot looks very good for the conditions.
Maybe the reviewer mentioned in the link had a faulty lens with an loose element.
Or did Topaz Software remove most CAs in PP?

I like to see a shot with this lens with a lower ISO JPEG withot any PP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that you need to nail the focus with this lens, or indeed you get red fringing. It's not massively sharp at f/5.6 but sharpens up nicely in pp. f/8 is definitely better, but alas we have nowhere near enough light for these sort of lenses in Britain at the moment Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I've found that you need to nail the focus with this lens, or indeed you get red fringing. It's not massively sharp at f/5.6 but sharpens up nicely in pp. f/8 is definitely better, but alas we have nowhere near enough light for these sort of lenses in Britain at the moment Laughing

Dull grey here mostly too.

My lens looks slightly different & has a slide-out hood. I hope to use it for birds next spring/summer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right to sell this lens.