Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 35-105mm f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 35-105mm f/3.5 Reply with quote

I bought this lens at a thrift store over the weekend and I'm not sure it was a good idea. one of the rear elements is pock-marked (fungus? sandblasting? haha) and I feel like it's not particularly sharp. I'm still pretty new so I don't know, maybe this is just how this lens is. (the not-sharpness, not the weird element)

here's the non-edited first shot from before I bought it. There's a Canon AE-1 with a FL 35mm f/2.5 on the shelf that I contemplated getting.

and here's something a bit prettier from school. I upped the contrast a bit in photoshop.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 2nd shot looks ok. Are you not happy with the lens?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the first shot was done with a Holga/plastic lens I'd be happy, otherwise,
not so happy. Can you take a pic of the rear element? Would like to see
the severity of the sandblasting, or how robust the mushroom farm is
growing, on it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
If the first shot was done with a Holga/plastic lens I'd be happy, otherwise,
not so happy. Can you take a pic of the rear element? Would like to see
the severity of the sandblasting, or how robust the mushroom farm is
growing, on it.

It's through glass though I think. If not then it's a Holga.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently bought a Kiron 28-105 and it's very good.

A test shot at 28mm and initial impression of the lens is:- it's less sharp at 105mm end, but will check it again with tripod.

A small bit of sharpening in PS as neg wasn't drum scanned:-
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn172/chakrata/kiron28-105.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm honestly not sure why the first shot is so terrible. I guess I wasn't trying.
I'm becoming much happier with the lens. I mean, I took this today:

And here's the rear element:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't look like fungus, but looks as though some of the lubricant "gassed out" & deposited itself on the element. It should clean up rather easily...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Scott!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar 35-105 is an impressive lens with a large multicoated 72mm front element that requires a hood to get the most out of the lens in bright sunny conditions.

I find this lens a beauty to behold,but in practice it is really exasperating to shoot. Hand held or mounted on a tripod,this lens likes to be shot with a unhurried precise focusing to get the most out of it.This lens really tries my patience when shooting,and if I hurry my shots delivers mediocre results.If I take my time and am quite deliberate,only then am I rewarded with a good image.This has prompted me to shoot this lens mounted on tripod with mirror lock up at times to achieve the best results.It is rare to find a lens that is this difficult to shoot.Amazingly,this lens had a loyal following back in the day,by those who liked the lens.

The unique feature of this lens is the close focus detente which allows a minimum focus of 11.4 inches in the close range and 4.6 feet in the normal setting in the fixed mount version (the TX version is 13.7 in. in the close range and 5.6 feet in the normal setting)

It's reproduction ratio is 1:5 in the fixed mount and 1:5.8 in the TX version.

This was Vivitar's heaviest lens in this zoom focal range back in the day,with 13 elements in 11 groups.Weighing 24.7 oz. in the fixed mount and 29 oz. in the TX version (the 2nd compact TX Version is 26.2 oz).It has an overall length of 4 inches in the fixed mount and 4.5 in. in the TX mount (2nd compact TX is 3.7 in.) and a maximum barrel diameter of 3 in. in all versions.

The various versions of this lens have either a switch for the close range detente or as pictured below no switch.With the lens pictured simply turn the focus ring to the close range to achieve close focus and turn the zoom ring to the desired focal length.I've also seen a few that don't have the close range engraved on the lens.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer Depp wrote:
The Vivitar 35-105 is an impressive lens with a large multicoated 72mm front element that requires a hood to get the most out of the lens in bright sunny conditions.

I find this lens a beauty to behold,but in practice it is really exasperating to shoot. Hand held or mounted on a tripod,this lens likes to be shot with a unhurried precise focusing to get the most out of it

It's funny you say that because I have the 70-150mm Vivitar and it looks just like this one but it's a Kiron and I think the 35-105 is Tokina.

But what you said about the focusing and having to take your time sounds familiar, it's like the travel of the focus ring is far too short and you have to make incredibly tiny adjustments to the focus to get it right, it's almost like shooting with a lens that has a much larger aperture!

It's well worth the effort though! The sharpness wide open is really good for an older zoom even at 150mm.

I have found the 35-105, 70-150 and 75-205mm Vivitars to all be excellent performers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the close focus two ring versions have a similar style,but the 35-105 seems to require just a bit more deliberate patience focusing....or maybe it's just a knowing that I have to really work at it with this lens,that I find the struggle.The 70-150 and the 75-205 are nice lens that deliver pleasing results as well.

The second version of the Vivitar 70-150 by Kiron with the one touch push/pull,does require exacting focus to deliver sharp images.I also have the Nikkor 75-150 which supposedly has the same optics built by Kiron that I've never shot mounted on a DSLR....I need to give that lens some digital exercise.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 35-105mm f/3.5 Reply with quote

awwwnuh wrote:
There's a Canon AE-1 with a FL 35mm f/2.5 on the shelf that I contemplated getting.

I used to own a Canon FL 35mm f/2.5. Wouldn't mind owning another one, actually. Back in the day, that 35 FL was one of my favorite lenses. If the price for the pair is reasonable, I'd recommend going for it.

Palos Verdes, California at sunset, circa 1984. Canon FTb, FL 35mm f/2.5, Kodachrome 64.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, thanks! I was really hoping it wasn't fungus. How would I go about cleaning it though?

cooltouch, that's a lovely shot. The camera+lens was $25 but there's no guarantee it's still there now. Also I'd want to use the 35/2.5 on my 10D but I feel like I read adapting FL-EOS isn't possible.

and I completely concur that the 35-105 is kind of a pain to focus.