Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 28mm Close Focus
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 28mm Close Focus Reply with quote

There was a post recently about the standard Vivitar 28mm, so I thought I would share some shots from the Close Focus version by Komine.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for a M42 version of this lens for a while now. What does the serial number of the Komine version start with?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that is a snappy, versatile lens ...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots and good work promoting the cheaper lenses, another very good lens I bought cheaply is the Ensinor 24mm f2.8 (also the Ensinor 80-200 plus Ensinor 2X extender) all good. Another lens CZJ (made in Germany) 28mm f2.8, in initial tests looks promising.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thst looks very good.
is it the f2.5 version ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens.

Bet the dog wont eat hot peppers again. :>)

I have the Vivitar 24/2.8 & am very pleased with it's performance.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd: Somehow I think I remember there being a Tokina version too (37)? But I too can be mistaken.

Here's this one:

revers: She and I had just returned from a short walk in an already very hot day. I was looking much the same.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
peterqd: Somehow I think I remember there being a Tokina version too (37)?

At least two of them - f/1.9 and f/2.8. And Kiron made a f/2.0.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one i have.

It has serial 22xxxxx - so you say it's Kiron made?
How does it compare to ther Komine ones?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two pictures to compare; one is obviously the subject 28mm lens, the other is another well known lens of a different, but close focal length. Please make a close examination and report out on your opinions. The difference in perspective is due to me needing to change where I was standing in order to make the images as close as I could. There are also links that follow the images that provide the full size images. Don't pay any attention to the EXIF data as they are very wrong. I used both chipped adapters and non-chipped. The chipped adapters thus sometimes report out the wrong focal length.

http://www.pbase.com/mdlempert/image/125418470/original
http://www.pbase.com/mdlempert/image/125418471/original

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they are very close for sharpness and the only difference that really shows is the sun has moved quite a lot, between the two shots.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
I've been looking for a M42 version of this lens for a while now. What does the serial number of the Komine version start with?

Here is a comprehensive listing..http://photografica.robinparmar.com/vivitar.html

Geoff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Well they are very close for sharpness and the only difference that really shows is the sun has moved quite a lot, between the two shots.

Yes, one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. You'll see from the shadows next to the dormers that the sun appears to be at equal elevation, yet opposite sides of the sky.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 24mm is a Kiron? Although it has very little CA, as a Yashica ML Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:

ebay has plenty of 28mm Vivitars up at any time. Most are either the standard f/2.8 or f/2.5 in various mounts, but an occasional M42 does show up and is probably there now. The Close Focus models are usually there as well, although the M42 mount is infrequently available and will sell for much more than the others. I was fortunate recently in only paying about twice what the other mounts get - about $60 with shipping. There is an f/2 Close Focus version that is very rarely seen and will sell for double again what I paid.

This was not intended to be a sales promotion, but I will mention that I have a few Close Focus lenses for sale in the Marketplace, although they are not M42.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 24mm is also very good and will allow relatively close focus, but not as close as this 28mm lens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this any good?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an Close Focus f/2 version in OM mount. I think it's a keeper!!

Very nice lens... it's sharp wide open but has some CA, but at f/2.8 the CA is gone.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu: I think you are going to have to tell us. It looks like an early T-mount lens?

Ivan: You found one!!! Lucky you; it must have been recently as I remember you getting outbid on one not too long ago. I too get a little fringing at wide open,, but as you say, it disappears quickly as you stop down and is easily correctable in PS. Please post some pictures.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come people don't like to play my games??? Sad Sad Sad I posted two pictures that I was hoping to see some opinions. One lens is this Vivitar and the other is another well known lens. You can guess the lens and which is which, but more importantly I would like to see some comparative comments.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 28mm Close Focus Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
There was a post recently about the standard Vivitar 28mm, so I thought I would share some shots from the Close Focus version by Komine.

I currently own 4 Vivitar 28's two of which are Close Focus K and K/A mount versions. The other two are M42 variants(larger and not as good).

I could never part with my the K copies. They are insanely sharp, contrasty, and have excellent rendering capabilities. It's the best 28mm I own. Beating the K 28/3.5 and even 28/2(in macro performance).

I use the 28/2.8 for product photography mainly with my light tent. And occasionally, I take it outside. Legendary lenses!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
How come people don't like to play my games??? Sad Sad Sad I posted two pictures that I was hoping to see some opinions. One lens is this Vivitar and the other is another well known lens. You can guess the lens and which is which, but more importantly I would like to see some comparative comments.

The first looks a bit sharper in the center.Both looked a bit soft in the corners.Liked the micro contrast of the second image better in the smaller image but in the enlarged image you can see where the first image handled the detail,especially in the dark areas and shadows.

Personally I never used the 28mm Vivitar digitally till this past year,thinking the Nikkor 28mm f2.8 AI-S would be superior for closeups,which is all I use these lenses for...The Nikkor may be a wee bit sharper,but I prefer the saturation of the Vivitar.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Boomer. The first image is from the Vivitar and the second image is from my Zeiss Flektogon 35mm f/2.4. It might be worth it to do a few more comparisons. I do believe my beloved Flek is superior, but this is one data point to show how close these two differently perceived (and priced) lenses are in image quality.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Thanks Boomer. The first image is from the Vivitar and the second image is from my Zeiss Flektogon 35mm f/2.4. It might be worth it to do a few more comparisons. I do believe my beloved Flek is superior, but this is one data point to show how close these two differently perceived (and priced) lenses are in image quality.

Didn't members say the flek (not sure which one) was ordinary for distance but superb at close up?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I said that at least once recently. The Flek is indeed superior for the close-up, although the Vivitar isn't too far behind. The Flek has been great, but it seems there is a picture every now and then that appears much superior to the others. For instance, this shot at distance seems very sharp. You may not be surprised to learn that it was taken on Church Street in Charleston: