Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 by Cosina
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 by Cosina Reply with quote

Sweet little lens. Surprisingly sharp with an MFD of 0.19m. The only thing with the copy I just got is the fungus behind the front element. I first took the nameplate off and later found out the way to remove the front element and clean the fungus. The lens corrected my impression on Cosina made Vivitar's. Actually the Vivitar 50mm f/1.7 and f/1.9 made by Cosina are pretty good as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics of the lens.
Is IT possible?
Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Pics of the lens.
Is IT possible?
Thank you.

Sorry it was late last night. As the name ring is off on my lens, I found the lens in the following link is the same as mine.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/130-lens-sample-photo-archive/196018-vivitar-24mm-f2-8-1-5-makro-p-ka-cosina.html

Here are two of my "close up" shots.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 by Cosina Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Sweet little lens. Surprisingly sharp with an MFD of 0.19m. The only thing with the copy I just got is the fungus behind the front element. I first took the nameplate off and later found out the way to remove the front element and clean the fungus. The lens corrected my impression on Cosina made Vivitar's. Actually the Vivitar 50mm f/1.7 and f/1.9 made by Cosina are pretty good as well.

I've seen many, many images with this little gem @ MF forums: it produces high quality images. For me, its nice price and amazing close focus abilities make it highly desirable. I found an excellent Sigma 24mm f/2.8 before I found one of these so I shoot with a Sigma. But the 2 lenses are not that different--the Sigma also has superior cf abilities: .18m, I think. There are some excellent Vivitar lenses out there--no doubt about it.

There are some users opinions of the Cosina here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/cosina-24mm-f-2-8-mc-macro.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 by Cosina Reply with quote

Focusthrow wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

I've seen many, many images with this little gem @ MF forums: it produces high quality images. For me, its nice price and amazing close focus abilities make it highly desirable. I found an excellent Sigma 24mm f/2.8 before I found one of these so I shoot with a Sigma. But the 2 lenses are not that different--the Sigma also has superior cf abilities: .18m, I think. There are some excellent Vivitar lenses out there--no doubt about it.

There are some users opinions of the Cosina here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/cosina-24mm-f-2-8-mc-macro.html

The CF ability is really nice to have. I have the AF version of the Sigma 24mm f/2.8 in Minolta MA mount. I ordered an MA to nex adapter so I can use as an manual lens on my A7ii. I owned other Vivitar 24mm's by Kiron, Tokina and Komine. Will definitely find some time to compare with Cosina.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been quite happy with the Cosina/Vivitar 28-70 I got for a song, as well as the Cosina/Vivitar 100/3.5 macro lens, and was also happy with the reasonable performance of the Cosina made Minolta MD 70-300. It is true they are not made (Primarily) of metal, but the resolution and contrast of all lenses I've tried so far has been acceptable when compared to the price paid. The lower reputation enjoyed (?) by Cosina products makes them a bit of a bargain.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased this lens based on beautiful samples that other people posted on this forum, and I sold it shortly after. My impression was that it takes very beautiful images in close focusing situations, with pretty good sharpness and smooth bokeh (especially for a wide angle lens!). However, my copy proved to be average-to-below-average in all other instances -- no good sharpness at any aperture... In the end I thought that for my needs the Vivitar 28/2 Close Focus was a more well-rounded choice. (The 28/2 commands much higher prices unfortunately, so the Cosina has the edge here by a very wide margin.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
I've been quite happy with the Cosina/Vivitar 28-70 I got for a song, as well as the Cosina/Vivitar 100/3.5 macro lens, and was also happy with the reasonable performance of the Cosina made Minolta MD 70-300. It is true they are not made (Primarily) of metal, but the resolution and contrast of all lenses I've tried so far has been acceptable when compared to the price paid. The lower reputation enjoyed (?) by Cosina products makes them a bit of a bargain.

Didn't realize there is a Vivitar 28-70 there, probably because it is a Cosina-made. Laugh 1 The 100/3.5 is said to be really good, except for the plastic feel. Right now, if I just check Cosina lens price, they are not at that of a bargain anymore. My thinking is that at least there are Cosina Voigtlander there.

Last edited by vivaldibow on Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

invisible wrote:
I purchased this lens based on beautiful samples that other people posted on this forum, and I sold it shortly after. My impression was that it takes very beautiful images in close focusing situations, with pretty good sharpness and smooth bokeh (especially for a wide angle lens!). However, my copy proved to be average-to-below-average in all other instances -- no good sharpness at any aperture... In the end I thought that for my needs the Vivitar 28/2 Close Focus was a more well-rounded choice. (The 28/2 commands much higher prices unfortunately, so the Cosina has the edge here by a very wide margin.)

That's a good point. I have yet to test at non close up situation. From the link on Pentax forum, the normal distance performance doesn't look that great. My copy is just at a very bargain price with fungus, so I grabbed it. Interestingly, I recently got a 28mm/2 CF at bargain price as well due to imperfection. My initial close-up testing makes me have the feel this 24mm/2.8 is even a tad sharper at minimum focus distance. Certainly, there was just based on my impression through EVF. Need a more thorough test (probably with macro focusing rail).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 by Cosina Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Focusthrow wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

The CF ability is really nice to have. I have the AF version of the Sigma 24mm f/2.8 in Minolta MA mount. I ordered an MA to nex adapter so I can use as an manual lens on my A7ii. I owned other Vivitar 24mm's by Kiron, Tokina and Komine. Will definitely find some time to compare with Cosina.

After you've gotten comfortable with the Cosina, would love to hear your thoughts on it in light of all the other 24mms with which you have worked. Best, jt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine Miranda branded, looks like Cosina brand.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 24mm f/2.8 by Cosina Reply with quote

Focusthrow wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:
Focusthrow wrote:
vivaldibow wrote:

After you've gotten comfortable with the Cosina, would love to hear your thoughts on it in light of all the other 24mms with which you have worked. Best, jt

I'll do my best to do it. Smile I got different lenses with the same focus distance and plan to do side-by-side comparison.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
Mine Miranda branded, looks like Cosina brand.

Nice samples. I like the motorcycle one the most. It shows the wide angle feel of 24mm.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@vivaldibow, how did you remove the front element, my copy has fungus too ☹️

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derek.s wrote:
@vivaldibow, how did you remove the front element, my copy has fungus too ☹️

Most likely I used a rubber cone sold on eBay. But I can’t remember the details. The ring might be clued to the lens front so I probably haven’t clued it back on.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the super quick response vivaldibow, so the front element is removed by going through the front of the lens, yes ? are you able to remember if any screws had to be removed after pulling the front name ring ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derek.s wrote:
thanks for the super quick response vivaldibow, so the front element is removed by going through the front of the lens, yes ? are you able to remember if any screws had to be removed after pulling the front name ring ?

You are welcome. Yes, from the front of the lens. Can’t remember if there are any screws involved. But it wasn’t hard to remove the front element. Fairly straightforward.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only Cosina experience is with the 19-35mm Canon AF mount. I would say it's an ok lens for the most part. If you don't expect Zeiss quality, you won't be disappointed with Cosina.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used one for several years with my Nikon FE. Great lens! I also have one now with a Minolta MD mount, that I found at a local estate sale for $10. Clean as can be. Will mount it on my X700 and get out with it when it gets just a bit warmer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used this lens a lot. Both with film and digital. I have compared it with a Sigma Super Wide II 24mm and they are very similar in image quality.

Bokeh and sharpness is good.

Digital, Sony a7:

Analog:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pics.

I am found of the SuperWide II.

I had a Cosina once and was not satisfied. Probably a lemon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
Great pics.

I am found of the SuperWide II.

I had a Cosina once and was not satisfied. Probably a lemon.

Thanks. I'm curious if the Cosina 35mm from the same line has similar image quality. I'd like to get that lens and try it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:43 pm    Post subject: Disassemble this lens? Reply with quote

Hello, sorry if I'm off-topic here, but I'm looking for information on how to disassemble/clean this lens model. I managed to remove the first parts, but I'm stuck (quite literally) with the main lens element. I don't see any point to attach a tool and unscrew.

Any help is much appreciated

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Disassemble this lens? Reply with quote

cgrohmann wrote:
Hello, sorry if I'm off-topic here, but I'm looking for information on how to disassemble/clean this lens model. I managed to remove the first parts, but I'm stuck (quite literally) with the main lens element. I don't see any point to attach a tool and unscrew.

Any help is much appreciated

can't post images on your first post as an anti spam measure