Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 200mm Series 1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 200mm Series 1 Reply with quote

After I first got this lens I used it a lot as we often do with a new purchase. I went back to it yesterday for a stroll around the yard. I still very much enjoy this lens despite its challenges.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All nice ones, #2 is how cute ?!

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots. The creamy bokeh is fantastic.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the squirrel and the lizard shots, fantastic!

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to be navigating the challenges pretty well, at least some of the time Wink Great squirrel!

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. Nesster: Hmmmm, what did you see? The challenges are blue fringing and precise focus. However, I have learned how to correct for most fringing, and I'm getting much better at the focus. For awhile I thought we just had blurry squirrels in the neighborhood. I had considered buying a Zeiss Sonnar 200mm, but then heard it too suffered the purple monster. I don't know if there would be much to gain from a Sonnar over this lens. I don't hear much in the forum about the Series 1, but then when one comes for sale in M42, it sells quite high; definitely at or above Sonnar. Same holds true for the 135mm Series 1.

I should also say that the fringing may be a sensor/camera issue as forum member Boomer displayed some pictures from this lens straight out of a Canon and they seemed absent of the fringing that I get with my Sony.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woodrim, are your shots all 100% crops?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the others, my preferred is the squirrel. It might be more impressive with a small crop, to decenter it, did you test it ? Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did play with the crop and where I came out was what I liked best. Although not the subject, I placed the tree vertical line at 1/3.

pwnguin: No, while all were cropped, the greatest maybe 50% and the least, 25%, I don't have the record.

CarbonR: Perhaps this squirrel composition is better? Taken the next day, he was showing me how he can hang by his feet and eat upside down at the same time. Both are 60% crops:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that you don't mind if I post some samples from this stunning lens here...

Its ability to focus down to 1,2m is just amazing. Definitely my favourite 200mm lens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar 200mm Series 1 Reply with quote

Quote:
After I first got this lens I used it a lot as we often do with a new purchase. I went back to it yesterday for a stroll around the yard. I still very much enjoy this lens despite its challenges.

Woodrim, I think the CA is going to be there from most of the lens of the period in less or more according to the coatings and the way the photos are shot. I have never let a little CA stop me from using a good lens with a character that I like....And I don't just like the Viv 200 f/3...I love it!! Very good shots there. Wish I had enough time to shoot some myself.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawg: I was quite disappointed with the results shown from yours in that 200mm lens test. I do know that the focus is very challenging with this lens and you're more likely to know when it's good than bad. What I mean is that you can think you have a well focused shot, but when you really hit it right, it's quite obvious. The CA is definitely something I am disappointed about, although with some care to the type of shooting, it can be managed. Boomer brought to my attention that the lens will actually perform quite well at full aperture in the right situation, which is a lower light, low contrast setting. I tried it with very good success. The following is the fully open shot where you can see advantage from the f/3 bokeh. That is followed by some close-ups stopped down to unknown aperture.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice series, especially the squirrel. I was out shooting my Fontron 200mm today. Very little CA on that but boy, very difficult to focus too. Unfortunately, I can't make the local wildlife look anywhere near as cute as you do Smile

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48607572@N04/sets/72157624591013995/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martyn: That lens doesn't look bad at all. Some shots seemed to have a nice background blur. Perhaps you should start a thread on this lens so it will be available for future searches. I haven't heard of the lens - sure is slow though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Martyn: That lens doesn't look bad at all. Some shots seemed to have a nice background blur. Perhaps you should start a thread on this lens so it will be available for future searches. I haven't heard of the lens - sure is slow though.

I agree, a nice lens. Sharp, great contrast. Some nice swirly bokeh, although only at one aperture. Have to experiment to see exactly where Smile

Already got a thread.

http://forum.mflenses.com/fontron-200mm-f4-5-some-samples-t31339.html

I have to go out and do it all again though. I think I was one stop underexposed for the whole session DUH....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Chromatic aberrations Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
Quote:

Woodrim, I think the CA is going to be there from most of the lens of the period in less or more according to the coatings and the way the photos are shot. I have never let a little CA stop me from using a good lens with a character that I like....And I don't just like the Viv 200 f/3...I love it!! Very good shots there. Wish I had enough time to shoot some myself.

Coatings do not really have anything to do with CA, axial or lateral. Coatings are to reduce reflections and CA is not about them, but about different wavelenghts focusing in different places.

A nice place to read about CA can be found here: http://toothwalker.org/optics/chromatic.html - also plenty about other photography related optical phenonema.

How the image is shot, that is where you are right as it indeed has big influence on the appearance of axial CA.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, Anu.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my recent walk down the dock at Shem Creek.

And this picture at f/3 demonstrates why it is a difficult focus challenge...

Last edited by woodrim on Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very thin DOF at f/3. Love the Pelican. Try it at f/11 or so and the DOF will be wide enough for easier focusing. The longer shutter speeds make it harder to hand hold for shake free photos though. One thing that I love about the Pentax cameras is that it allows every lens to have Image stabilization since the sensor does the IS and not the lens. My 1960's preset lens are thus Image Stabilized. For an old codger like me it does make a difference. It now takes a couple of Ice House beers to get my shakes under control!! Laughing Laughing

You are right Anu and thanks for that link.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments, Dawg. I have a SONY and it too has in camera stabilization, but functional only when I use a chipped adapter. I wish I could dial in the focal length. But the 200mm is one of the lenses that I have a dedicated chipped adapter for, so I have stabilization. I invest in the more expensive chipped adapters where it makes the most sense. I still have the Meyer 300mm coming, so that one will also need one.

I was fortunate to have good light that day and was shooting mostly between 1/320 and 1/1600, using mostly f/5.6 and f/8, but selectively f/4 and f/11. I believe the close up of the pelican was f/11 as I had no background concerns. I had relatively little CA to correct. I do enjoy that lens.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to get more time to use mine. I haven't hardly used it yet at all....Oh Well!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this boy recently.
Bad news : The lens was full of fungus Sad
Nothing to loose with a try...
(first test, G1, wo, zero pp)

Smile

Well...Seems I can live in symbiosis with these fungus finally.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. You did a good job with the focus - the most challenging part when I first got it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I should have mentioned the red beaked swan is a very nice catch.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Of course, many failures Wink

etc...