Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 100mm 1:2.8 MC 1:1 Macro Telephoto (Kiron)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:28 am    Post subject: Vivitar 100mm 1:2.8 MC 1:1 Macro Telephoto (Kiron) Reply with quote

Last edited by visualopsins on Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the 100mm a 22xxxxx kiron (ignoring the later cosina made macro), visualopsins - essentially the same as the 105mm?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Marcus is right. It's the 90/2.8 that's the Komine.

marcusBMG wrote:
Isn't the 100mm a 22xxxxx kiron (ignoring the later cosina made macro), visualopsins - essentially the same as the 105mm?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked oops! Both of you are correct! Thanks!

EDIT: Same lens as 105mm Kiron and 105mm Lester Dine Dental Lens. Internal focus -- the front group moves; the rear group, a teleconcverter (thanks stevemark!), is stationary.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any case a great lens, classic vivitar.
I have the 105mm, I eventually got one for a good price in PKA mount after much searching.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is for Nikon. $80

http://www.mflenses.com/kiron-105mm-macro-lens-review.html
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=11257

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/kiron-lester-dine-105mm-f2-8-macro.html
Quote:
The lens is made in Japan by a company called "Kino Precision" aka Kiron. I know of the following versions (they are all identical - except for exterior design).

Lester A Dine 105mm Macro f2.8 (marketed as dental lens)
Kiron 105mm Macro f2.8 (Kino Precisions own lens name)
Vivitar Series 1 105mm Macro f2.5
Vivitar 100mm Macro f2.8
Ricoh Rikenon 105mm f2.8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Kiron 105 in FD mount. For several years it was my goto macro lens for m4/3. It still is for FF.

Here is an orchid with the Kiron at f16, with flash on my A7r in 2016. This was a RAW file an hour ago, forgotten for 8 years!

My normal processing, uncropped.

Last edited by e6filmuser on Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
This one is for Nikon. $80

http://www.mflenses.com/kiron-105mm-macro-lens-review.html
http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=11257

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/kiron-lester-dine-105mm-f2-8-macro.html
Quote:
The lens is made in Japan by a company called "Kino Precision" aka Kiron. I know of the following versions (they are all identical - except for exterior design).

Lester A Dine 105mm Macro f2.8 (marketed as dental lens)
Kiron 105mm Macro f2.8 (Kino Precisions own lens name)
Vivitar Series 1 105mm Macro f2.5
Vivitar 100mm Macro f2.8
Ricoh Rikenon 105mm f2.8

i bought the kiron version some time ago , but it was pretty wobbly so i had to return it(the exteriour looked like new, just like the optics). The feeling i`ve got from it was that the lens is pretty lightweight comparing to it`s size, finally i´ve got the 90mm tamron bbar (the more plasticky version). In fact, all these Kino made versions, are pretty expensive (more expensive than tamron) and very sought after also.
I see you also have micro Nikkor and Takumar in same focal length, i wonder how all 3 compare .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 630 degree focus throw is nice. That's not a typo -- a full turn and three quarters of focus throw.

Beautiful beautiful Orchids!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great orchid shot indeed! Superb colors!! Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind comments about the orchid.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way the longer Vivitar/Kiron/Komine lenses typically are designed is with semi-interchangeable mounts, so the same barrel can be used for a number of different mounts, but it's not a universal solution like, e.g., Adaptall, nor is it meant to be user serviceable. Usually, with each design there are a small number of variants to accommodate mounts with aperture levers that actuate in different directions, and each variant can be used for a handful of mounts. Some even have a cam selector on the internal mechanism that can be rotated to be used with systems mounts, as well as unused holes drilled in multiple locations to accomodate different mounts.

The upshot of this is that there's a weak point where the system-specific mount attaches, typically 3-4 larger set screws that hold it on from the sides that are hidden under a sleeve that slides up from the bottom to reveal them when the set screws on it are removed. The four inner screws, while threadlocked, often loosen over time as the lens barrel flexes against the mount, which is the primary cause of wobble frequently encountered in these lenses. It's actually generally a pretty easy repair f you know what you are doing, but it's not 100% intuitive when viewed from the outside.

Incidentall

kiddo wrote:

i bought the kiron version some time ago , but it was pretty wobbly so i had to return it(the exteriour looked like new, just like the optics). The feeling i`ve got from it was that the lens is pretty lightweight comparing to it`s size, finally i´ve got the 90mm tamron bbar (the more plasticky version). In fact, all these Kino made versions, are pretty expensive (more expensive than tamron) and very sought after also.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the built-in hood too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some stereo pairs from the Kiron 105mm, amongst other lenses, have been uploaded in the new stereo topic.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:
Some stereo pairs from the Kiron 105mm, amongst other lenses, have been uploaded in the new stereo topic.

Thank you! here's a link http://forum.mflenses.com/3d-stereo-experiments-with-adapted-mf-lenses-t85090,start,78.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found these images, stored as TIFFs since 2010. They were taken with the Kiron 105mm on the Olympus EP-2.

They are of the Brimstone Moth larva, not to be confused with the Brimstone butterfly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are crisp!

For comparison some photos using the Micro-NIKKOR 105mm 1:4 AI @F/8

I do like Nikkor colors!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some concerns about CA. Laugh 1 Laugh 1 Laugh 1 Laugh 1 Laugh 1

A mushroom, Coprinopsis narcotica, yes, really, via Topaz Glow transformation.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Laugh 1

Yes, the differences I am seeing could easily be attributed to optical illusion. I was imagining CA correction and coatings can affect color rendition.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the "model" for the transformation:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one from the Kiron 105, in 2014, on Olympus EM-2 and with flash.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1