Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you repaired yourself?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: What's the latest lens you repaired yourself? Reply with quote

Intended as a sister-topic to the topic "What's the latest lens you added to your collection?" in the main forum.

A bit tongue-in-cheek perhaps, this one may not see much activity... Wink

This topic is intended to note the (ideally successful) DIY service or repair of a lens, which may or may not already have been part of your collection.

It is not intended to highlight any specific service information or hints, for that a lens-specific dedicated topic would be more appropriate in order to facilitate better search-results.

Yesterday I gave a full CLA to a Minolta MC ROKKOR-PE 200mm f/4.5 lens bought for spares. Underneath all the dirt, dust & grime it turned out to be far too good to take apart for spares, so a full CLA it was. As usual for lenses of this age, the old grease had let go of all the oil and the helicoid was just sliding on a layer of dry lithium soap and molybdenum disulfide (still very smooth of course; this is a Minolta Rokkor after all Wink ). No oil in the aperture mechanism, so I could leave that in situ. The glass was free of any scratches, fungus, or haze.
Fully cleaned and re-lubricated; all good now.

The day before that I (re-)serviced an older version of the same lens, an MC-I. I had already given that a full CLA several years before, but at the time incorrectly assessed that the aperture mechanism was clean (first time I made that mistake Sad ). A few days ago I noticed there was in fact a trace of old oil in there, causing occasional sluggishness. So I cleaned the aperture assembly of that one.

Both lenses now in full working condition below, MC-I on the left, MC-X on the right):

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konica AR 2.8/24mm - a rather nice looking sample, but with fungus. When I bought it for around CHF 40.-- i was aware of the fungus, but at the time I didn't bother cleaning it, since I already had another, clean AR 2.8/24mm.

A few days ago I started working - the construction of the AR lenses is different that that of the Minolta stuff indeed. The AR lenses have a few glued screws and threads, so one has to carefully un-glue them before they come off. Another funny thing was that the entire optical block including aperture can be easily separated from the focusing mechanism. Quite clever.

No back to my cleaning of the lens: For whatever reason it had fungus on nearly EVERY lens surface. Never seen anything like that before!! So I really had to dismantle EVERYTHING and clean all the eight lenses separately. Quite some work indeed! A detailed repair info will follow.

S

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma 600mm f/8 mirror. It had some dust and slight fogging on the interior that cleaned up nicely.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Konica AR 2.8/24mm - a rather nice looking sample, but with fungus. When I bought it for around CHF 40.-- i was aware of the fungus, but at the time I didn't bother cleaning it, since I already had another, clean AR 2.8/24mm.

I once promised myself that I would keep my collection manageable by concentrating on Rokkor lenses (of which I already had many).

Konica AR lenses are one of the few other lines I would find interesting. I already have a couple of the rectangular metal clamp-on lens hoods (for the 24/2.8 and 35/2.8 ), because they are such useful lens hoods (together with their Minolta similar ones).

stevemark wrote:
Another funny thing was that the entire optical block including aperture can be easily separated from the focusing mechanism. Quite clever.

Quite a few Rokkor lenses have that feature. The MC ROKKOR-PE 200/4.5 is one of them. Three small screws to undo and the whole optical block + aperture assembly comes out of the focusing mechanism. only one aperture actuator pin to line up when re-inserting. Some earlier SR and AUTO-ROKKOR lenses also have this feature, where the entire optical block is held in the barrel by one single nut/ring from the back.

The very earliest AUTO TELE ROKKOR-QE 100/3.5 (with the long throw aperture lever) has a hidden surprise: three very deeply recessed extra, entirely unnecessary grub screws only accessible through the side of the lens mount when set at infinity. Took me ages to figure out why the block wouldn't come out Very Happy

stevemark wrote:
No back to my cleaning of the lens: For whatever reason it had fungus on nearly EVERY lens surface. Never seen anything like that before!! So I really had to dismantle EVERYTHING and clean all the eight lenses separately. Quite some work indeed! A detailed repair info will follow.

I am quite interested to see that. No coating damage?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Sigma 600mm f/8 mirror. It had some dust and slight fogging on the interior that cleaned up nicely.

Like 1 small

Back-silvered mirrors I assume?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last two: M42 Asahi Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:2 / 35 -- the first was sold as parts. Dusted it off was all the "repair" necessary. The second was a bit more complicated having "a missing screw", well, 5 screws, were obtained from a donor lens with "stuck aperture". The third, now missing 5 screws, has been partially repaired -- camera side was knocked deforming the metal. Got it reformed and partially working, but now it is missing 5 screws. Looking for another donor, from past experience maybe endlessly looking for another donor. LOL Very very easy to work on -- modular construction, "encapsulated" front and rear optic blocks...

Knowing when to stop "repairing" is another learned skill -- repair sometimes proceeds quite a bit easier after a hiatus such as a good night's sleep.

The Flecktogon 1:2.8 / 35 helical needs re-greasing sometime -- I've had it apart several times, not quite to unscrewing the helical. Smile Now I know the aperture linkage mechanics quite well, however, having disassembled/reassembled that far a few times...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Like 1 small

Back-silvered mirrors I assume?

Yep.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-ai Nikkor 180 / 2.8. Stiff helicoid - that was interesting to get right. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Last two: M42 Asahi Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:2 / 35 -- the first was sold as parts. Dusted it off was all the "repair" necessary. The second was a bit more complicated having "a missing screw", well, 5 screws, were obtained from a donor lens with "stuck aperture". The third, now missing 5 screws, has been partially repaired -- camera side was knocked deforming the metal. Got it reformed and partially working, but now it is missing 5 screws. Looking for another donor, from past experience maybe endlessly looking for another donor. LOL

Sounds like at some point you'll be better off just getting 5 screws Wink

visualopsins wrote:
Knowing when to stop "repairing" is another learned skill -- repair sometimes proceeds quite a bit easier after a hiatus such as a good night's sleep.

Yeah, I've been there, at 2:00 am in the morning...

visualopsins wrote:
The Flecktogon 1:2.8 / 35 helical needs re-greasing sometime -- I've had it apart several times, not quite to unscrewing the helical. Smile Now I know the aperture linkage mechanics quite well, however, having disassembled/reassembled that far a few times...

Helicals are a hate & love thing for me; I don't like cleaning them, messy business Sad . But I love the feeling and satisfaction once they have been freshly greased. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
Pre-ai Nikkor 180 / 2.8. Stiff helicoid - that was interesting to get right. Twisted Evil

Like 1 small

Helicoids on old tele's can be awkward, esp. if they have been knocked about or the helicoid keyways aren't running dead straight; you can end up with some stiff points throughout the focus range.

Sometimes I've had to spend quite a bit of time fine-adjusting the keys to get the best compromise alignment.

EDIT: the worst ones are those where they decided a single key on one side was enough; two opposing keys give much smoother focussing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
stevemark wrote:

I once promised myself that I would keep my collection manageable by concentrating on Rokkor lenses (of which I already had many).

I did the same thing years and years ago. Minolta/Sony AF lenses for serious photography, and Minolta SR lenses for fun (and because they were reasonably cheap back then). After some years I arrived at the point were ...

1) getting "new" Rokkors was becoming difficult since I only bought stuff from within Switzerland
2) those Rokkors missing were quite expensive
3) there was lots of other stuff available at resonable prices

"So why to limit myself, having fun only with Rokkors?" I thought ...
I mean there are Hexanons, Nikkors, Sekors, Takumars and god knows what else Wink.

Needless to say it worked. There were a lot of cheap Hexanons, Nikkors, Sekors, Takumars and FD lenses ... not so many Zuikos, though!

RokkorDoctor wrote:

Konica AR lenses are one of the few other lines I would find interesting. I already have a couple of the rectangular metal clamp-on lens hoods (for the 24/2.8 and 35/2.8 ), because they are such useful lens hoods (together with their Minolta similar ones).

If I remember correctly, those were among the first other than Rokkors I started collecting. The common ones were very cheap back then (and they still are). And since Konica did a merger with Minolta, it was quite a natural thing to do Wink. Those classical Konica AR lenses are very rugged, sturdy constructions, mechanically. That said, I have two major issues using them these days:

1) Focusing is a bit stiff (seems to be a general and consistent issue); I guess they were designed like that. Minolta lenses, especially the MC-X ones, are much nicer to focus!
2) The aperture is a pain to use (only the newest generation is quit OK):
2a) The aperture ring easily locks in the AE/EE position
2b) The aperture ring by default is not turning easily (click-stop strength is adjustable, though ... what a sophisticated construction!! ... But Minolta made it better - no need to adjust, and smoother, too. )
2c) The fact that we have an aperture ring (rotating, of course) and another ring next to it (fixed) make it difficult to turn the aperture ring, since both rings have a corrugated surface.

In the mean time I have most of the common AR lenses; just a few "oddities" such as the 1.2/57, the 2.8/15 Fish, and the 300 Fluorite as well as the 400 UC are missing. But then there are other collectors around the corner who have them ... if I really "need" to shoot with one of them.

RokkorDoctor wrote:

stevemark wrote:

I am quite interested to see that. No coating damage?

No. No damage at all. Interestingly I haven't yet seen any permanent coating damage caused by fungus. Re-mounting all these little lenses was quite a story, though - especially since I live in a really old farmhouse, and there's dust everywhere ...

S

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
Last two: M42 Asahi Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 1:2 / 35 -- the first was sold as parts. Dusted it off was all the "repair" necessary. The second was a bit more complicated having "a missing screw", well, 5 screws, were obtained from a donor lens with "stuck aperture". The third, now missing 5 screws, has been partially repaired -- camera side was knocked deforming the metal. Got it reformed and partially working, but now it is missing 5 screws. Looking for another donor, from past experience maybe endlessly looking for another donor. LOL

Sounds like at some point you'll be better off just getting 5 screws Wink

There are of course myriad possibilities.

I'm not satisfied with the rough aperture control. Maybe a donor lens will supply an un-deformed piece.

The optics are in great shape, maybe to be donated to another lens without.

I've already envisioned a donor lens with severely dented front, hack-sawing through the focus ring to obtain necessary parts, rear assembly & screws. Three of the screws come with copper washers...

I could simply glue it together instead of using screws.

Offer it for sale as parts lens...

Donate it.

Toss it.

Possibilities are endless, really.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MC TELE ROKKOR-QE 100mm f/3.5

Full CLA yesterday. Looks like this was a lens made up from other good parts; it needed quite a few adjustments. All good now Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:

Full CLA yesterday. Looks like this was a lens made up from other good parts; it needed quite a few adjustments. All good now Like 1 small

A handsome lens!

I'm curious, what type of adjustments were needed?

Edit: Aha! Very Happy I think the answer is here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-mc-tele-rokkor-qe-100mm-f-3-5-focus-adjust-t83560.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55 wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:

A handsome lens!

Yes, it's a nice lens. Pretty good performance too, considering its age. I'm sure some fellow members will correct me, but I suspect that this is one of the smallest 100mm lenses you can find (excl. bellows lenses).

55 wrote:
I'm curious, what type of adjustments were needed?

Edit: Aha! Very Happy I think the answer is here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-mc-tele-rokkor-qe-100mm-f-3-5-focus-adjust-t83560.html

Yes, focus adjustment, but there were another two adjustments to be made:

- The aperture sizes weren't calibrated correctly - a simple adjustment via the adjustable sliding tab on the aperture ring
- The aperture ring was too tight. Not deformed, simply 0.05mm machined too tight to fit on the back of the lens. That is a sure-fire sign that the back of this lens and its aperture ring were not from the same production run; as it was this lens would never have passed Minolta's QC procedures. The person before me had attempted to fix it just using grease, but I had to carefully open up the inner diameter of the aperture ring by 0.05mm (painful and lengthy session with sand-paper & lapping afterwards.

Of course I also had to clean & re-lube the helicoid. The aperture control ring on the inner lens barrel also needed removing, its thread cleaned and relubed with some dry Moly. Finally all exterior parts were throughly cleaned (liquid hand-soap & a toothbrush + rinse with water & dry with heater fan generally works wonders there)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:

Yes, focus adjustment, but there were another two adjustments to be made:
. . .

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MC ROKKOR-PF 50mm f/2.

Aperture was stuck/slow. Full CLA, but couldn't disassemble the aperture assembly so was rinsed in isopropyl alcohol.

There is another post on how I did the CLA.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I recently took on quite the eBay adventure. I bought a Zeiss 35mm Flektogon that needed, uh, a little help. The seller assured that all the pieces were present, they were just unable to get everything back together. I've got a few lens rebuilds under my built by now so I thought I'd give it a shot.

This is the first Zeiss I've worked on and, I gotta say, I was not impressed. There were a lot of plastic parts where I'm used to seeing metal parts and the aperture was incredibly fiddly. It didn't have it's own self-contained assembly, like I've seen in Takumars and Minoltas. Instead, you have to assemble the blades and coupling rings directly into the body, then try to get the retaining ring in place without bumping or nudging anything out of place. This took...several attempts.

I also discovered that there actually was one piece missing. The spring that stopped down the aperture blades had gone missing at some point in the lens's life. Luckily, I've amassed a nice little stockpile of spare parts and had an adequately sized replacement spring.

I still want to regrease the helicoid since the focus is feeling a little dry but getting everything together and confirming that I actually have a functioning lens was a big relief. Finally got my Flek!

h

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vandergus wrote:
Well, I recently took on quite the eBay adventure. I bought a Zeiss 35mm Flektogon that needed, uh, a little help. The seller assured that all the pieces were present, they were just unable to get everything back together. I've got a few lens rebuilds under my built by now so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Like 1 Well done!

Putting an unfamiliar lens back together from an "inherited" collection of parts can be quite a challenge!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A handsome lens![/quote]

Yes, it's a nice lens. Pretty good performance too, considering its age. I'm sure some fellow members will correct me, but I suspect that this is one of the smallest 100mm lenses you can find (excl. bellows lenses).

My smallest one is a bbar early poor coatings version, smaller and lighter than topcor 58mm.
And surprisingly it's got very fine focus and mechanics, despite the low weight.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
A handsome lens!

My smallest one is a bbar early poor coatings version, smaller and lighter than topcor 58mm.
And surprisingly it's got very fine focus and mechanics, despite the low weight.

Is that the Adaptall 105mm f/2.5? I think the Minolta still just wins on length once you add the ~5mm thick Adaptall adapter for Minolta SR (Minolta 54mm length vs. the Tamron at 52 without the adapter so ~57mm with adapter...). Of course the Tamron is 105mm, the Minolta 100mm; maybe call it a draw Wink ...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right , is the adaptall . To be honest , i didn't know the size of that Minolta neither , just thought about the mdII 2.5 version I've got ,and I've assumed they might have been close in size Sad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest success is clearing fungus from a Pentax-A 50mm 1.7. It was quite easy and I think I did it within an hour.

I have made unsuccesful other attempts with other lenses, however I not have a lens rubber tool, so I will be successful again. I hope...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, forgot about this thread. I have another successful lens cleaning/repair to report.

Some months ago, I bought a Canon 7s with 50mm f/1.2 from my neighbor, who had inherited it from his father. The camera is in great shape and everything works pretty much as it should. But the lens needed help.

The rear element had some brownish fogging and droplets on it that were on the interior of the glass. Ironically, to reach the interior surface of the rear element, one has to dismantle the lens from the front. Being a relatively simple design, this was not very difficult to do. It did not require that I separate the focusing helical, fortunately. The entire optical group came out, at which point I was able to separate the rear element. The residue on it resembled tar, more than lens thread lube. I wondered at that point if my neighbor's dad had been a smoker.

I used a solvent that is mostly acetone to clean the lens surface. I was careful not to get the solvent anywhere else but on the glass. It actually took a fair amount of scrubbing (with lens tissue, of course) to get all the residue off, but I was eventually successful.

Reassembly went as smoothly as disassembly.

The result is a lens with excellent cosmetics, but flawless glass. I'm glad it came out so well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Ah, forgot about this thread. I have another successful lens cleaning/repair to report.

Some months ago, I bought a Canon 7s with 50mm f/1.2 from my neighbor, who had inherited it from his father. The camera is in great shape and everything works pretty much as it should. But the lens needed help.

The rear element had some brownish fogging and droplets on it that were on the interior of the glass. Ironically, to reach the interior surface of the rear element, one has to dismantle the lens from the front. Being a relatively simple design, this was not very difficult to do. It did not require that I separate the focusing helical, fortunately. The entire optical group came out, at which point I was able to separate the rear element. The residue on it resembled tar, more than lens thread lube. I wondered at that point if my neighbor's dad had been a smoker.

I used a solvent that is mostly acetone to clean the lens surface. I was careful not to get the solvent anywhere else but on the glass. It actually took a fair amount of scrubbing (with lens tissue, of course) to get all the residue off, but I was eventually successful.

Reassembly went as smoothly as disassembly.

The result is a lens with excellent cosmetics, but flawless glass. I'm glad it came out so well.

Like 1 small

Old lens grease tends to separate. The base oil(s) can find their way to the most unexpected places inside lens. I have seen many lenses where the oil, over time, has undergone a natural oxidisation/polymerisation which can leave a brown, almost plastic-like film residue, sometimes with brown droplets embedded. Typically this may e.g. give aluminium components a gold-like sheen that is impossible to remove as it embeds itself in the thin aluminium oxide layer. This contamination can be heavy enough that sometimes the aluminium component is mistaken for a brass one (until one feels the weight of it).

It is quite possible that what you saw was oxidised/polymerised old lens grease base oil residue, rather than tar...