Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss C/Y 80-200mm f/4 VS. Zoom-Nikkor 80-200 f/4.5?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss C/Y 80-200mm f/4 VS. Zoom-Nikkor 80-200 f/4.5? Reply with quote

Hi everybody, this is my first post here!

I have change to buy Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 80-200mm f/4 (C/Y) for 200euros OR the Nikon Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/4.5 (last #8xxxxx version) for less than 100euros. I have hard times deciding which one to buy..

I have tried to google for comparison but found nothing. Both seems to be very well built, have pretty much the same max.aparture and are sharp.

Have any of you guys had opportunity to test both lenses? Which one has better value for the price?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty shure you'd be satisfied with the Nikkor's performance. I can't speak for the Zeiss.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

200 Euros for Vario Sonnar 80-200/4 C/Y seems to be an attractive price.Usual going rate is about 250 Euro.Anyway - this lens is not a common tele zoom,but a very good,if not outstanding performer in it's class.Vivid Zeiss colour rendition,sharp/very sharp and contrasty across the zoom range

With minimal focusing distance of 1m it's suitable for nice closeups

NEX7+VS 80-200/4 at 200mm f5.6

From 85mm till about 135mm it's image quality is very close to 85/2.8 and 135/2.8 C/Y primes

NEX5+VS 80-200/4 at 80mm f5.6

At 200mm it has less CA compared to the prime 200/4 C/Y Tele Tessar

NEX5+VS 80-200/4 at 200mm f8

The lens has also quite pleasant bokeh

Canon EOS 500+VS 80-200/4 at f4

It is always a matter of taste,but I think you'll be more satisfied with the Zeiss.It is well worth the money.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Zeiss.

I own a copy of the VS 80-200. (That and the VS 35-70 is all I use or need these days.) Typical for Zeiss, it has a very sharp and faithful rendition with great color pop and just the right touch of bokeh when you want it. I don't have experience with the Nikkor, but there are lots of examples on Flickr for IQ comparison. It comes down to a matter of taste and picture style, but I think your Zeiss is the better value of the two just in the fact that it's priced well below average and you can easily resell it at a tidy profit.

@shapencolour - Nice examples!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you frenched Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deffo get the Zeiss! It has great pop to the images and is sharp from wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, Shapencolour. Clearly the Zeiss works well in good hands!

I would also go for the Zeiss but then, I'm definitely biased towards that brand's glass.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks barryreid. Smile

Fortunately acquiring Zeiss doesn't mean sticking to it only.One can have Zeiss and other lenses enjoying what is good in other brands too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't buy the Zeiss, and look for a Nikkor 80-200/4.5 as well?
The latter can often be found for much less than 100$, because everybody is looking at the f/4 80-200mm Nikkor.

Then compare, and make up your mind.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the money to buy the zeiss, I would go for that one, if you prefer to save some euros for something else and buy the nikkor I assure you won't be disappointed with it, I own a copy and it is an excellent zoom, also it can be bought relatively cheap because of the reason caspert mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input everybody!

I'll definitely go for the Zeiss Vario-Sonnar. And as caspert said, maybe I'll buy Nikkor later as it's very cheap so that I can compare them myself.

And very beautiful pics Omar & shapencolour! Sharp as they can be and lovely colors!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you bulle. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Zeiss

Great performance for a zoom.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two further 80-200/4 + NEX5N pics at around 150mm f 8.It is clearly visible on the cat's fur how sharp this lens can be at the long end.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4/80-200 Sonnar is my favourite lens for shooting live events. It is lightweight, has perfect focal range to shoot portraits
both near and far, it is sharp, and most of all, it has (in my opinion) the best boke in the whole Contax SLR line, including primes!

#1 - Canon EOS 5D :

#2 - Canon EOS 5D :

100% detail crops from #2

100% boke crop from #2

#3 - Canon EOS 5D :

100% boke crops from #3

I am sure, however, that you will be happy also with the Nikkor. I have never tried it, but many people reports it's a very good lens.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent pictures Orio. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
The 4/80-200 Sonnar is my favourite lens for shooting live events. It is lightweight, has perfect focal range to shoot portraits
both near and far, it is sharp, and most of all, it has (in my opinion) the best boke in the whole Contax SLR line, including primes!

+1 on all points. Great shots, Orio. It's a fabulous lens that never ceases to impress me. I'm familiar with just a few of the Contax lenses but the bokeh is surprisingly good, not overpowering. It is lightweight with a low-key profile, but add the lens hood and it looks a little more beastly. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the Nikon 80-200mm f4, which some says is better than the f4.5 version.

@ 200mm f5.6 on the Olympus E-PM2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapencolour wrote:
Two further 80-200/4 + NEX5N pics at around 150mm f 8.It is clearly visible on the cat's fur how sharp this lens can be at the long end.

Nice results! Bokeh is also lovely.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mark.BTW - your 50/1.4 ZE Planar review is in accordance with what I've experienced with this remarkable lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to also contribute to this thread. Some pics taken with Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 80-200mm and Canon 5D. Image sharpness is not incredible, because the light was not so optimal. Focal length was 160mm, aperture F4. Slightly soft at this setting, but nice and sharp from F5.6. Example at F8 here: http://lightbeam-photography.blogspot.hu/2013/09/magnificent-sunbeam-slow-evening.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shapencolour wrote:
Thank you Mark.BTW - your 50/1.4 ZE Planar review is in accordance with what I've experienced with this remarkable lens.

Thanks for reading it! I am really attached to the Planar, which makes it hard to mount any other lens on my camera. It's a shame, because for example this Vario-Sonnar is also very good. As Orio's pictures show, great choice for outdoor, casual portrait shooting. But your pics show that its also capable in other areas. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for feedback!

I received this beauty last week. I ended buying it from ebay instead of local seller and got it for only 155 euros including shipping from Germany to Finland and it is in like new condition.

I was struck by CZ C/Y fever and also bought 28-85 Vario-Sonnar and 28 2.8 Distagon!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way! None of the lenses I ordered includes hood. What hoods do you use? Genuine hoods for cz c/y are hard to find and are really expensive (Half of the lenses price!)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother with a hood, the coating is excellent Wink

Such a great lens BTW and a decent price!