Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which adapers and which Nikkor lenses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Which adapers and which Nikkor lenses? Reply with quote

Hi all.

I'm giving a second chance to myself on the use of MF lenses (first one about 3 years ago, but gave up due to focusing problems) and I'm acquiring some reasonably cheap primes of various mounts to use on my brand new Canon EOS 40D. Until now I bought:

- Kiron 28/2 MC (OM mount)
- Olympus Zuiko 50/1.8 (obviously OM mount Wink)
- Industar 50/3.5 (M42)
- Jupiter 9 85/2 (M42)

The first three were quite cheap (the Industar cost me a little more than 7€, with postage) and the Jupiter was something I really wanted to try and a much cheaper option than equivalent Zeiss, Olympus or Asahi Pentax glass.

Most of these lenses are still on their way to my home and now I need to buy adapters to try them, but still uncertain about which ones. Three years ago I tried several lenses on a 300D and wasn't able to focus at very large apertures or wide focal distances; now with a 40D I hope to be able to focus better, but I still think I may consider an AF-confirmation adapter. Any thoughts about this?

Just another question: which Nikkor lenses can be used (with an adapter, of course) on Canon bodies? Of course, those without an aperture ring are useless, but I'm still not very used to the Nikkors nomenclature (AI, AIS, pre-AI)... Some of these lenses are available for reasonable prices, and their quality is well known, so I might want to try one or two of them.

Thanks in advance.

Hope to participate more often in this excellent forum!

Best regards,
Pedro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, this is a right place for you ! Nice to see you here ! I suggest to take AF confirmation Canon EOS adapter from Ebay and you will not have any focusing problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome Pedro
on the 40D it is nice to put the ee-s screen, it is cheap and easily replaceable
I use most of my lens without AF confirm but you can buy adapter from China quite cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pedro - probably best to get confirmation from a Canon user but I think the adaptors allow you to use any Nikkor. The only problem I'm aware of is with a potential mirror problem on the 5D.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pedro and welcome to the group!

Your Canon 40D is two steps forward in using MF lenses than what used to be the 300D. So perhaps it will be enough for your needs. In any case, I suggest you to get at least one FA chipped adapter for every lens mount that you use. This because for wide angle lenses below 28mm the focus detection becomes difficult with any camera.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome, Pedro from Portugal. Sorry about your football team. Wink

I got my M42-EOS adapter with chip from happypagehk and I've been really delighted with it, the best one I've tried. Here's a link, he seems to only have Nikon and Leica R / EOS adapters at present but keep looking.
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the kind welcome! Smile

I'll search E-bay and see which adapters I can find, but most likely will purchase AF-confirm adapters - at least one for each mount I need (M42 and OM).

Poilu: the EF-S screen was on my thoughts and I was ready to order it with the 40D, but then I read it was optimized for f/2.8 or faster lenses and my EF mount lenses (AF) are almost all f/4, so I'm still weighting benefits and disadvantages. Thank you for reminding me of this option.

Richard_D: thank you. Maybe someone using a Canon camera can confirm the use of any Nikkor lenses?

peterqd: no need to be sorry; they played just fine, maybe with a little more luck they could have gone one step further... Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro Claro wrote:

Richard_D: thank you. Maybe someone using a Canon camera can confirm the use of any Nikkor lenses?

A few Nikkor lenses may give problem mounting on EOS cameras (all cameras, not only 5D) because of protruding metal parts in the back. It is easy to ground those metal parts with sand paper. The operation does not compromise the use of the lenses with Nikon cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

A few Nikkor lenses may give problem mounting on EOS cameras (all cameras, not only 5D) because of protruding metal parts in the back. It is easy to ground those metal parts with sand paper. The operation does not compromise the use of the lenses with Nikon cameras.

Thank you, Orio. If I understood correctly some info I read a while back, lenses with those protruding metal parts in the back are mostly ultra wide angles or wide angles, right?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro Claro wrote:

Thank you, Orio. If I understood correctly some info I read a while back, lenses with those protruding metal parts in the back are mostly ultra wide angles or wide angles, right?

To my experience, yes. But I have only tried a part of the large arsenal of Nikkor lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Orio! Very Happy