Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MC 55 1.9, Great Performer
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Minolta MC 55 1.9, Great Performer Reply with quote

Online you hear a lot about the Minolta MC 55 1.7, 58 1.2 and 58 1.4, and while they are awesome lens, the sharpness does not come close to the 55 1.9. I was wondering why this lens does not get more love. I picked up my copy for $15 and its rendering and sharpness are very close to the Zeiss Contax 50 1.4 Planar and in my opinion on par with the Minolta PG 50mm 1.4 which is known as a very sharp lens. I think I read somewhere that this lens was the predecessor to the MD 50 2.0 which would make sense since they were both entry level lenses and very sharp. I included some samples to show this lenses performance. What are your guys thoughts? Its possible I just got a really good copy but it seems pretty good to me.






@ f1.9 MFD


@f1.9 MFD


@f5.6 infinity





@f1.9 MFD


Crop



PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1


PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!
You reminded me about my plans to check out 55/1.9, because people who understand 55/1.7 said nice things about 55/1.9.



58/1.4 is the king of a meh. No other lens I've had was praised more out of proportion than this one.
Wrote couple of words about it here: http://forum.mflenses.com/bokeh-only-t69142,start,1100.html#1525594

55/1.7 has fantastic rendering. It is so far ahead of anything else I've tried.
Pretty hard to explain with words what's so great about it, since it cannot win any easily digestible sharpness of flare contests.
http://forum.mflenses.com/bokeh-only-t69142,start,1100.html#1525592


PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:

58/1.4 is the king of a meh. No other lens I've had was praised more out of proportion than this one.
Wrote couple of words about it here: http://forum.mflenses.com/bokeh-only-t69142,start,1100.html#1525594


Are you aware of the fact that there are two optically different versions of the MC 1.4/58mm?

The fact is well documented both in Dieter Gabler's Books about the Minolta SR-T101 (published by Minolta Germany around 1971) as well as in the "Modern Photography" issue from Feb 1970. Obviously Minolta re-calculated the 1.4/58 when five new high refractive / low dispersive glasses became available around 1968.

Stephan


PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:


58/1.4 is the king of a meh. No other lens I've had was praised more out of proportion than this one.
Wrote couple of words about it here: http://forum.mflenses.com/bokeh-only-t69142,start,1100.html#1525594


It was interesting to hear you say that about the 58 1.4 because that was the exact same feeling I had. It wasn’t a bad lens but was just missing something special.. The one I had was the second recalculated MC2 version but I got rid of it because I really did not use it.. Might just be personal preference.. where the 1.4 let me down though the 1.2 lived up to its hype to me, so smooth...


PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more sample shots, the Bokeh does seem to be more nervous than the 55 1.7, but it can also maintain contrast and sharpness even when it is flaring as seen in the leaves picture.





PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Are you aware of the fact that there are two optically different versions of the MC 1.4/58mm?

I've had a second version, mint MC-II.


Mr.Bittacy wrote:

It was interesting to hear you say that about the 58 1.4 because that was the exact same feeling I had. It wasn’t a bad lens but was just missing something special.. The one I had was the second recalculated MC2 version but I got rid of it because I really did not use it..

Yes, definitely usable, just not at all that great, as often described. I too sold my MC-II.

Mr.Bittacy wrote:

Might just be personal preference.. where the 1.4 let me down though the 1.2 lived up to its hype to me, so smooth...

Never had it, but I agree with 58/1.2 praise.

Mr.Bittacy wrote:
A few more sample shots, the Bokeh does seem to be more nervous than the 55 1.7, but it can also maintain contrast and sharpness even when it is flaring as seen in the leaves picture.

Indeed, it looks like a 55/1.7 with a bit more outlining in bokeh in exchange for better sharpness and contrast.


PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some lovely shots on here Mr Bittacy. Thanks for putting them up Like 1 .