Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My lens list
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 12:46 am    Post subject: My lens list Reply with quote

Still new here...is it okay to share this kind of thing? I'm struggling with whether I should feel proud or appalled by my reckless abandon in lens acquisition. I just love these old little glass cans and mirrorless (esp. w/ IBIS) has liberated me from feeling chained to super expensive EF-mount AF/IS glass. Haven't had to take out any loans or dip into existing savings, so I think I'm still doing okay. But I'm running out of storage space, so it's about time to call it quits with regard to further acquisitions (still a few more goodies in transit Smile. Perhaps it's time to actually start using them? The light has been very flat here lately and everything is still very brown and denuded (in the vegetative sense)...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ytks9pWDsJzmfCkVMNNnoBQSZVPvAnaW/edit#gid=340151089

Anyway, I currently have the 1.4/25 Biotar, 1.9/50 Zenitar-M, 1.9/50 Xenar, and 2/50 Helios-81N attached to camera bodies, so I guess I'll start with one of them...or does anyone have a request of what they'd like to see?

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still need some Mamiya glass I see 😁
Auto Mamiya/Sekor 55/1.8 (or the SX one) is a great one to start with. Very good and affordable lens.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one really needs that many lenses. Relax though, you're not going be judged on it here haha.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Auto Mamiya/Sekor 55/1.8 (or the SX one) is a great one to start with. Very good and affordable lens.

You're absolutely right! Thanks for the suggestion Wink I think there's an Auto Sears/Sekor SX 55/1.8 in there, though. Is that equivalent? It came with a totally degraded focus ring grip, but was otherwise in pretty good shape if I remember correctly.

Alun Thomas wrote:
No one really needs that many lenses. Relax though, you're not going be judged on it here haha.

You're also absolutely right. It's pretty ridiculous when I sit back and look at them strewn about my office. It kinda sparked when I just happened to see an eBay suggested item for an Industar-61L/Z and I was like, what the heck is THAT? I'd never heard of Russian lenses before and had largely given up on manual focus ten years ago when I found the aftermarket split prism screen on my DSLR to be insufficient for my use. But now I'm a mirrorless guy and one thing led to another and I found myself enjoying the hunt and discovery more than the actual act of using them. The pictures other people had posted using the lenses I was researching were just so bokehliciously seductive. When I find the time to actually take them out for walks, or to CLA the sadder ones, which I also find therapeutically enjoyable, hopefully that thrill of discovery will sustain and I'll be able to produce some interesting perspectives of Alaska or wherever else I may end up.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to be a good start to an interesting collection Wink

Could use a few more Enna and Schneider and I see no Rodenstock at all.
Definite shortage of Tamron Adapt-a-Matic and Adaptall.
Soligor and Vivitar T4 and TX?
No Fujica?

… a little way to go, but a valiant effort Wink

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

And there's the question, what 3-4 lenses one could choose not to part with from the whole group?
I've seen and adapter made by Tamron that can adapt exakta lenses to Minolta , so in this case , the 1.4 would be my go to lens, but being so heavy and only 6 blades, I could end up with the FD which has 8, and if weight is an issue, there's the revue ef that could do the job,so..... it's true nobody needs so many lenses ,but is so nice (and so bad) to have to choose between so many of them.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My list shows 367 lenses Shocked but in my defense, my list does include lenses that I have sold or scrapped. Wink which makes it 287. Which I think is quite reasonable. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AberratedSoul wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

You're absolutely right! Thanks for the suggestion Wink I think there's an Auto Sears/Sekor SX 55/1.8 in there, though. Is that equivalent? It came with a totally degraded focus ring grip, but was otherwise in pretty good shape if I remember correctly.

Yup, that's the one. Either the auto M/S or the SX: optically basically the same, except for the color balance.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're way behind on Fuji, Mamiya, Topcor, and Yashica. Lots of ground to make up!

Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
You're way behind on Fuji, Mamiya, Topcor, and Yashica. Lots of ground to make up!

Very Happy

I really appreciate the notes on my glaring omissions! And to think I was considering another FED 3.5/50, when you're right, there are so many others I should be exploring. I think I'm suffering from mount-ignorance and spend too much time in my comfort zone, resulting in many equivalent copies (I mean, how many 2/55, 1.8/55, and 1.4/50 Takumars do I really need??). Mamiya Z-mount seems more challenging to find a cheap adapter for some reason and the brief foray I took into researching Topcor just confused me worse than Argus did. As far as Yashicas go, my luck with that brand just hasn't been great. I wish everything could just be M42 - I simply love that mount (as long as the focus ring isn't too stiff - looking at you, Zeiss Mad).

I also suffer from cheapskatery and only try for bargains, often with fixer-upper potential. I do have a couple Fuji on the way, a 2.2/55 arriving today and an as-is Fujica 1.8/55 as part of a 3-fer bundle containing an iffy Super-Canomatic R 1.8/50, which somehow allowed me to stumble upon an FL 1.2/58 auction that I won for a steal. Am highly anticipating it's arrival...even if it did give me a short bout of Canon-fever resulting in a non-steal of an FL 1.2/55 to ensure the 58mm didn't get too lonely as the sole 1.2 lens. I still lament the loss of my Pentax 1.2/50 - it mysteriously disappeared following a hectic cross-country move 5 years ago along with a custom-patterned K1000 Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am err a bit ashamed... I have somewhere in the range of 1500 lenses. A, Schact Ulm, Konica AR, Konica F, Schneider, Zeiss, Rodenstock, Fuji, Staeble, Piesker, Nagel, Meyer, Busch, Buhl, Mamiya, Minolta, Zeh, Topcon, Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Ricoh, Pentax, Kowa, Komine, Tokina, Tamron, Friedrich, Kowa, Komura, Steinheil, Kyoei, Rathenow, Lord, Yashica, Voigtlander, Vivitar, Beseler, Elgeet, Soligor, and Sun, MTO, cmaera mounte lenses, projector lenses, enlarger lenses, process lenses random glass of unknown provenance or use. I'm sure I am forgetting some. It's a significant storage and organizational challenge. But it IS fun. I too enjoy the CLA process. Especially when you take some dirty nearly unusable thing and turn it into a nice optical tool.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have about 130 to 150 lenses now. Not much compare to other members here. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I am err a bit ashamed... I have somewhere in the range of 1500 lenses. A, Schact Ulm, Konica AR, Konica F, Schneider, Zeiss, Rodenstock, Fuji, Staeble, Piesker, Nagel, Meyer, Busch, Buhl, Mamiya, Minolta, Zeh, Topcon, Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Ricoh, Pentax, Kowa, Komine, Tokina, Tamron, Friedrich, Kowa, Komura, Steinheil, Kyoei, Rathenow, Lord, Yashica, Voigtlander, Vivitar, Beseler, Elgeet, Soligor, and Sun, MTO, cmaera mounte lenses, projector lenses, enlarger lenses, process lenses random glass of unknown provenance or use. I'm sure I am forgetting some. It's a significant storage and organizational challenge. But it IS fun. I too enjoy the CLA process. Especially when you take some dirty nearly unusable thing and turn it into a nice optical tool.

You're kind of my hero but I'm also really worried that now that I've learned it's possible to achieve your level of lensography it may someday happen to me. Eventually I can see myself dissecting old discarded DLP televisions to extract strange and specialized optical components to fabricate hideous frankenlenses. Okay, so maybe I've already torn apart a couple of DLPs, but without a modicum of focus, only to see what was inside. It's a treasure trove of optical manipulation.

Also, I'll need a lathe and mill at some point, too Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have cobbled together a couple of frankenlenses. I don't have a lathe or mill yet but hope to soon. I started this because there was a comet coming through and my wife wanted me to try to take pictures so I had to get a camera with interchangeable lenses after several years of using decent quality point and shoot cameras. I ended up with a Canon EOS 60D. A camera that was a very very good APS-C system camera. But lenses were very expensive. I read that you could adapt vintage gear for much much less and get pretty good quality. So I scanned the newspapers and Craigslist and saw an ad for an Exakta with a Biotar 58mm f2. Went to the place and it turned out to be a second hand store. The camera was in unused condition. The lens worked well so I looked for other FL'S and became hooked on the process of seeking out these old gems. I rationalized it by telling myself they were an "investment". I was working as a pharmacist and so had a decent amount of discretionary income and started scanning e-bay and etsy and learning about the cameras and lenses an mounts and things my photography improved dramatically. I recently retired from the healthcare grind and have been trying to not buy too many lenses and actually sell some cameras and lenses to acquire better level gear. I purchased lens repair tools, spanners, rubber wrenches, micro screwdriver sets and have repaired and CLA'ed quite a few. Ruined more than I care to admit as well. Age tends to corrode metal threads together and it took a while to figure out how much force you can use and not break things. Enjoy your newfound hobby but try not to get as carried away as I have!

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
I have cobbled together a couple of frankenlenses. I don't have a lathe or mill yet but hope to soon. I started this because there was a comet coming through and my wife wanted me to try to take pictures so I had to get a camera with interchangeable lenses after several years of using decent quality point and shoot cameras. I ended up with a Canon EOS 60D. A camera that was a very very good APS-C system camera. But lenses were very expensive. I read that you could adapt vintage gear for much much less and get pretty good quality. So I scanned the newspapers and Craigslist and saw an ad for an Exakta with a Biotar 58mm f2. Went to the place and it turned out to be a second hand store. The camera was in unused condition. The lens worked well so I looked for other FL'S and became hooked on the process of seeking out these old gems. I rationalized it by telling myself they were an "investment". I was working as a pharmacist and so had a decent amount of discretionary income and started scanning e-bay and etsy and learning about the cameras and lenses an mounts and things my photography improved dramatically. I recently retired from the healthcare grind and have been trying to not buy too many lenses and actually sell some cameras and lenses to acquire better level gear. I purchased lens repair tools, spanners, rubber wrenches, micro screwdriver sets and have repaired and CLA'ed quite a few. Ruined more than I care to admit as well. Age tends to corrode metal threads together and it took a while to figure out how much force you can use and not break things. Enjoy your newfound hobby but try not to get as carried away as I have!

Funny how strongly this hobby snags people like you and me. Someday I'll ponder its deeper psychological facets to get to the root of just why it's so gripping. For now all I can say is it exploits so many of my dopamine triggers - treasure hunting, pseudogambling, science, nostalgia, history, bargain prices compared to what I was used to being locked into with the EOS DSLR system, a fun community of like-minded enthusiasts (who is this Tom Caldwell guy anyway and why hasn't anyone interviewed him for a soft news story yet?), and the challenge of a puzzle (hmmm, how to best exploit the personality of THIS lens???). Add completely calming and interesting YouTube channels like Simon's Utak and this is a recipe for...something powerful. Although an Olympus E-520is was my first DSLR after years of point-and-shooting and feeling kind of disappointed by the results, it wasn't until I grabbed a Canon Rebel T3i that things started getting serious, quickly leading to a 5DIII and the discovery of L-glass and all its lures of extravagance. Unfortunately, I don't really feel like my skills as a photographer ever rose to the level to be justified by how expensive or technologically nice each piece of gear was, but vintage seems to be the elixir necessary to slow me down and make me contemplate each shot. Someday I might try to get into film, but probably not until my kids are older and more independent.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fascinated by the psychological turn this thread took. I found myself sitting in front of ebay recently, thinking, why do you even have the urge to look for another lens?!?! the subconscious fired quickly: having been diagnosed with severe depression three years prior, something inside is looking at HOW lenses render, and then, what other views (onto the world) they open: as if searching for a new angle upon life itself, something to live for. my covid project / diagnose recovery, when I had no energy for anything, was buying old lenses and refurbishing them. not just because that could be done during lockdowns. I realised there was a desire to give a "new life" to some old thing from the eighties, just like myself... it's deeply fascinating to read you describe something similar, if I may psychoanalyse for a moment.

as for my own list, it exists, but most lenses I ever owned have moved along - another subconscious desire: not to be a collector, not to be "weighed down" by clutter.
yet despite that attitude, which works for me, I understand and approve of collecting lenses if it makes someone happy. as long as the children still have socks and food, why not?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is definitely something to that dopamine hit hypothesis. It's interesting because I get a hit of it now when I buy a lens...and when I sell one. I opted for the a7ii as soon as used prices moved into a range I could justify looking for a full frame image stabilized system for my vintage lens obsession. I just moved from the a7rii to the a7riv earlier this year. I try to buy trailing edge bodies because, unlike vintage lenses they depreciate rapidly.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned quite a few lenses, but my collection is actually quite modest at the moment. Probably about 35 lenses.
I try only to keep the very best ones or the ones that 'add' something that I personally like to the collection.
I don't need dozens of 50mm lenses that produce virtually indistinguishable results.
Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just not collecting for the sake of collecting.
I still buy regularly though, but I sell about just as much.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My list is now at 247, not counting doubles.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
There is definitely something to that dopamine hit hypothesis. It's interesting because I get a hit of it now when I buy a lens...and when I sell one. I opted for the a7ii as soon as used prices moved into a range I could justify looking for a full frame image stabilized system for my vintage lens obsession. I just moved from the a7rii to the a7riv earlier this year. I try to buy trailing edge bodies because, unlike vintage lenses they depreciate rapidly.

We're still in our first year of living in Alaska and when the aurora borealis started up last fall it reignited my interest in photography. Having young kids, as well as a demanding teaching job, prior to this new posting atrophied my hobby. But then the sky opened up and I got miraculously great results despite being quite rusty. I went a little wild and acquired my dream cameras of yesteryear, more-or-less accidentally acquiring two EOS-1D X bodies, but also an OM-D E-M10 III, a7s, a7RII, and a7iii (and a6000 and EOS 80D, which came free with a giant lens). I've realized the little Olympus and a7iii are just wonderful machines and pretty much all I actually want. I'm sure I'll be glad for the a7s and a7rii when the northern lights kick off again, but it's getting to be time to offload the clutter and I don't see myself being much of a DSLRer ever again. It would feel liberating to offGAS a bit.

As far as your philosophy of picking up the hot bodies of a few years ago at depreciated price, I am totally onboard with that. The camera of today is probably amazing, but I'm still blown away by the a7iii's performance, and even the little Olympus impresses me each time I handle it.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first camera was a cheap, plastic 127 TLR. I might have been 8 or so and asked and got a camera for my birthday. I used it for a while then lost interest. Then in high school there was an elective photography class, I didn't take it as the lab conflicted with a sports thing I was involved with but friends did and came by the house. My mom became enthused. Bought a Canon FTb, set up a darkroom in an unused storage area. Enlarger and all. I learned 35mm stuff with that camera. Then off to college and a friend sold me a nice OM1 with the 50mm 1.4. I still have that camera. It still works. I have taken thousands of photos with it over a couple of decades adding some othe FL and zoom lenses. It is currently "resting " in a bin with other vintage gear I started buying when I really got back into in 2012 or so IIRC. I used the olympus until a friend was emailing me photos he had taken with dimunitve Kyocera S3X. I bought one and used it until the fatal flaw exposed itself. The on button would get inadvertently pushed while riding in my pocket and the pop out lens would try to push out. Too much resistance stripped the nylon gears. I then bought a pentax Optio S3, takes amazing photos for a tiny little camera with 3 megapixels that will fit perfectly in an Altoids mint box. Used it for a couple of years then moved up to the Optio S5, then a couple of years later the Pentax X90, which is a superzoom "bridge" camera with an amazing to me at the time 26x zoom and 12 (twelve! ) megapixels. I could suddenly have high quality enlargements again. Then my wife wanted a telescope and pictures of comets as I related earlier.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG...All of the above, from every single person who has replied to this thread is so true Rolling Eyes

I love to save an old lens, even crappy ones. I go to the Camera Fairs and leave my long suffering wife to empty the boxes and set the tables while I scoot off and see what the other guys have got before the public get there, and I hit the boxes of junk under the tables first. At 6-30am I'm buying bagfulls of fungused and seized Soligors and Vivitars. I nearly bought a Tomioka 60mm f2.8 Macro Yashinon for £250 and a mint cased Takumar 85mm F/1.8 for £90 - but no, I bought a Sankor ( Serie E ) 135 / 3.5 and Vivitar 400 / 5.6 ( which I already have ) for £12 - for both! I've cleaned and repaired them, they are great lenses. And that's my pleasure, I shall use them a bit and maybe sell them on?

I appreciate the old lenses, especially the pre set's, for their superb engineering, and very often the superb optics, which I enjoy discovering. I'm a retired maintainence engineer, I worked on sewage treatment pumps and macinery. It was the filthiest job in the world, most days we had 200 ton cranes lifting stuff and I was using 100mm spanners, 1m long pipe wrenches and sledge hammers most of the time. The contrast to repairing lenses, the patience and steady hand to work with the tiny screws is, in engineering terms, very similar - it's a mechanical device. But I find it very therapeutic, ( I'm also depressive ) , and all part of the fascination of collecting and using the old lenses.

I actually find it hard to sort out stuff to take to the Camera Fair and sell. Quite often I'll see something on my table for sale and quietly put it in the bag of stuff I've bought, hoping my wife doesn't notice! Don't ask how many times I've bought a lens I sold some time ago!
Rolling Eyes

My Niece is giving me a lot of grief, she's executor of my Will, and she's telling me to get rid of all this stuff before I die. Not just the lenses and cameras - there's all the 4x4 stuff ( I rent a barn, it's FULL of parts ), my woodworking tools and machinery, my engineering / mechanics stuff. Collecting is fun, I like it.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of respect for caspert79's ability to maintain a dL/dt of zero. I'm definitely much more in the collector camp, although the guilt of holding useful glass prisoner is sure to get to me eventually. I love owning these little cylinders, but they should be getting used. No sense in keeping them shelved up. I'm trying to figure out how to do it in a fulfilling and helpful way, like the thoughtful reviews Simon does on YouTube. The fix-and-release philosophy seems really noble and I hope to someday slim down to a chosen few gems while feeling good about the ones reintroduced to the world with renewed life...although I'm still not too comfortable handling helicoids and have contented myself with using helicoid adapters because I'm lazy (and a novice at lens CLA, which is why I have a box of very rough and dirt cheap zooms to cut my teeth on...the 12-blades of agony from my crippled trioplan have sufficiently humbled me).

While we're in the spirit of opening up, I'm also depressive and a prime candidate for obsessive compulsive personality disorder...which has worked out really well for my chosen vocation of engineering, albeit the current employer uses me more as a human stem cell than a specialized technical expert, but it's hard to beat the eventual pension and retirement benefits. Hopefully I'll find a second career complementary to my hobby and propensity for writing spreadsheets.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
I owned quite a few lenses, but my collection is actually quite modest at the moment. Probably about 35 lenses.
I try only to keep the very best ones or the ones that 'add' something that I personally like to the collection.
I don't need dozens of 50mm lenses that produce virtually indistinguishable results.
Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just not collecting for the sake of collecting.
I still buy regularly though, but I sell about just as much.

Same here. Found myself to be more of a shooter than a collector.

Like for many others my preferences changed as time went by, I didnt found one style that I considered definitive.
It started with a 50mm f1.8 Zuiko some 15years ago and immediately after hunting for f1.4 or faster became a topic.
Then had a macro-only era for many years.
Last year I was nuts for projector lenses and currently starting exploring triplets/enlargers.
Along the way also acquired some long tele's and a couple of wide ones. ( zooms i tried only once and never again )
Gear that stood the test of time I kept, the rest went. I have now ~30 lenses, ~50 were sold and frankly I havent missed them since.

In addition to my regular list I have also a dedicated folder for each lens.
It has shots of lens itself and a gallery of my favorites shots taken with it.
It helps a bit during selling if you provide some pics from the actual lens.
I also prefer to buy from somebody that has samples of his owns, rather than from somebody pointing to me to flickr or stating he has no time for it.

Although I can see why somebody collects vintage lenses I am happier with them roaming the fields rather than looking at them on a shelf.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is of poor value if the declarations made in these posts are not weighted by the ferocity of the wives.