Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My lens list
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
This thread is of poor value if the declarations made in these posts are not weighted by the ferocity of the wives.

Laugh 1

I'm too scared to broach that facet lest she somehow discover this thread.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
This thread is of poor value if the declarations made in these posts are not weighted by the ferocity of the wives.

I've had that argument. The handbag counter-argument was accepted as a fair one. We are both happy now. And running out of space.

Incidentally; I do wonder whether there is a gender imbalance here; whilst I know of many female photographers, women seem less obsessed with collecting lenses.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
lumens pixel wrote:

I've had that argument. The handbag counter-argument was accepted as a fair one. We are both happy now. And running out of space.

Incidentally; I do wonder whether there is a gender imbalance here; whilst I know of many female photographers, women seem less obsessed with collecting lenses.

I think males are more easily obsessed with metal and glass. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:

I do wonder whether there is a gender imbalance here; whilst I know of many female photographers, women seem less obsessed with collecting lenses.

100 % of photographers I know personally are female, and utter gearheads, with at least more cameras than me.
then again, my sample size is small: two

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathala wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:

I do wonder whether there is a gender imbalance here; whilst I know of many female photographers, women seem less obsessed with collecting lenses.

100 % of photographers I know personally are female, and utter gearheads, with at least more cameras than me.
then again, my sample size is small: two

The only other photographer I know personally where I live is a woman and also a gearhead, but unfortunately a Nikon DSLRer, so few specimens of my collection are easily shared. Been trying to entice her to the mirrorless camp, but her supertelephoto-centric use case is much more practical and focused than my scattered, gotta catch 'em all, "approach." Still fun to discuss methods and techniques, though, since I'm a proud owner of a modern superzoomytelephoto myself. Those bears, eagles, and sea lions ain't gonna photograph themselves, after all.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! It was a big bone of contention in my house. My wife was certain I was going to bankrupt us. I finally sold a few and also had her go to a bin and select 3 lenses at random. I then showed her sold listings from ebay of those lenses. I then went to her "outgoing goodwill stack" which she has and goes to donate every couple of weeks. Explaining that she was buying stuff and then either throwing or giving it away for nothing and that I could nearly always get near about what I paid back out of the lenses and that sometimes I could get lots more. I showed her the Olympus OM 40mm f2 that came in a lot of oly gear I paid 159 dollars and then the asking prices on ebay. She never complained again.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm single but currently in negotiations Smile
It doesn't seem to bother her. Sometimes they're just happy you have a hobby that isn't gambling or other girls...

I don't think I have the most lenses so far, but it is north of 500. I have a strong liking for the obscure, sometimes it's a cheap hobby, more often lately it isn't.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

Don't ask how many times I've bought a lens I sold some time ago!
Rolling Eyes

That's something I've never done. It's much easier to avoid if you never sell lenses! Finding space to stash them all is a problem however, even with a bunch stored at work...

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AberratedSoul wrote:
but unfortunately a Nikon DSLRer,

It's not all that bad in that camp.
There's enough 3rd party stuff to swivel my head. Wink

The ones I tend to keep are by and large nikkors anyways.
I do let the not so good ones go, regardless of make, though.
I think I'm currently in the 25-30 lenses range, and it really can't get bigger than that due to limited storage space.
There have been quite a few surprises along the way, which is quite worth the time and very modest money.
Which reminds me I haven't been to a certain store in a while...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:

One time I had a date with a dutch girl who knew what a Lamegon was.
She even helped an american collector finding one....
Unlike many people who write about photography as an art form, she actually had a rather good knowledge of the history of photographic tools. We had a great conversation about historical lenses.
I found all that quite enticing, and I had a great day with her... but I ended up taking the train home in the evening Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:
RokkorDoctor wrote:

One time I had a date with a dutch girl who knew what a Lamegon was.
She even helped an american collector finding one....
Unlike many people who write about photography as an art form, she actually had a rather good knowledge of the history of photographic tools. We had a great conversation about historical lenses.
I found all that quite enticing, and I had a great day with her... but I ended up taking the train home in the evening Smile

Yes, but that is the short story. Here is the long version: once at home you asked your wife what a Lamegon was. And you took the train back to try to find that Dutch girl that has meanwhile vanished. Only then you settled at home. Right?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:

Yes, but that is the short story. Here is the long version: once at home you asked your wife what a Lamegon was. And you took the train back to try to find that Dutch girl that has meanwhile vanished. Only then you settled at home. Right?

Hahaha, no my friend. Quite far from that.
I knew very well what a Lamegon was. It's a rare bird, but it seems that the lens was used by the Dutch (could also be German) police in some strange camera used to check speed. She knew where to buy one of those decommissioned cameras. That's how she helped that US collector.
I don't collect large format lenses anymore, but at the time I was very much into that, so I knew that the Lamegon was a wide angle with very good coverage, made in small numbers by Carl Zeiss Jena.
The dutch girl knew all that, and also knew the scene of contemporary photography a hundred times better than I did.
I didn't have a wife at the time, nor any other obligation, but in the end I decided to take the last train from The Hague to Amsterdam Smile
I ended up marrying a couple years later, for the first time (and kind of unexpectedly) at the tender age of 58.
My wife knew I had plenty of "stuff", but she didn't realise the size of my photographic paraphernalia until very recently, when I decided to consolidate all of it in the same home! She never complained about my buying sprees or anything else, but she's very concerned about what to do with all that "stuff" in case of my demise Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:
lumens pixel wrote:

I knew very well what a Lamegon was. It's a rare bird, but it seems that the lens was used by the Dutch (could also be German) police in some strange camera used to check speed. She knew where to buy one of those decommissioned cameras. That's how she helped that US collector.
I don't collect large format lenses anymore, but at the time I was very much into that, so I knew that the Lamegon was a wide angle with very good coverage, made in small numbers by Carl Zeiss Jena.
The dutch girl knew all that, and also knew the scene of contemporary photography a hundred times better than I did.
I didn't have a wife at the time, nor any other obligation, but in the end I decided to take the last train from The Hague to Amsterdam Smile
I ended up marrying a couple years later, for the first time (and kind of unexpectedly) at the tender age of 58.
My wife knew I had plenty of "stuff", but she didn't realise the size of my photographic paraphernalia until very recently, when I decided to consolidate all of it in the same home! She never complained about my buying sprees or anything else, but she's very concerned about what to do with all that "stuff" in case of my demise Smile

Nice story indeed. Maybe you can give some assurances to your wife explaining that you are member of a friendly photo community that will help empty the house when the time comes, the later the better.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
cyberjunkie wrote:
lumens pixel wrote:

Nice story indeed. Maybe you can give some assurances to your wife explaining that you are member of a friendly photo community that will help empty the house when the time comes, the later the better.

I wish I could call dibs on the Dutch girl and Lamegon, but it sounds like both have since faded into the bokeh of the past.

Your story makes me imagine a much more artistic and quaint rendition of the scene from Eurotrip when the camera nerd guy meets the nice German camera shop girl: https://youtu.be/AFutocP_OSg