Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question about Jupiter-9
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
To be honest, most of the times I do well without AF, but there are certain moments wich i really miss it (instant shots, holidays etc) and for these cases i might be ok with only one lens for low light and subject isolation. Already owning the kit zoom (only used once) , I'm between the 55 and 85mm, but finally i would go with the 85, because I don't have any lens in that FL. I might end up disappointed with Sony for it's plastics ,who knows. This russian is indeed a very good performer, sharp and nice bokeh, the third picture I like the most.

That's understandable. I've only bought the cheap 50/1.8 lens to test the functionality of a native E-mount AF lens. As I own already many legacy lenses and Minolta AF ones as well I've rather invested in both the Techart and the Sony LA-EA4 adapters instead as these new Sony E-mount high-tech lenses are far too expensive for my taste. Furthermore they all become useless if I decide for any reason to change my camera to another system in the future again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took out the 0.28mm shim and set the aperture ring back to original position. The problem- with the increased shim, the lens could not be focused to infinity. A J-9 on a Leica, without any adjustments: Infinity is in focus, close-up will back-focus.

New solution: one layer of copper tape (~0.08mm) on the RF Cam. This leaves the optics in the original position, meaning infinity can still be reached. The RF cam pushes back more, bringing the RF and actual focus into agreement for close shots. Focus via RF is good from 1.5m to about 8m, after that- focus slightly past what the RF indicates.

Wide-Open, 1.5m:

L1000439 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

L1000458 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

An easy hack job for anyone.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see this lens very sharp wide open ,very nice,the bokeh is.......good but not the best in the edges, probably I'm used to smooth edges

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. This is the 1967 J-9, export version. Not quite as good as the KMZ J-9 that was adjusted and traded for it.

Bokeh is not as smooth as the original 8.5cm F2 Sonnar.

Most Sonnar formula lenses have a high degree of field curvature. It's like a Sine-Wave for the are of best focus, not a plane. Used properly with a 3-D subject, can be effective.

I just finished a test with a Canon 100/3.5 in LTM. Most of this type of lens has damage to the element behind the aperture, bad reaction of the type of glass used and lubricants. I bought an FL version of the lens, the glass is fully interchangeable. It's sharp.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
I see this lens very sharp wide open ,very nice,the bokeh is.......good but not the best in the edges, probably I'm used to smooth edges

If you are looking for excellent edge to edge sharpness a Sonnar maybe not the right lens for you, irrespective of production time. Even the new Zeiss ZM Sonnar is only mediocre in that respect.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Question about Jupiter-9 Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
Hi,
the version of the Jupiter-9 85mm f2 with multi-coating MC is also the sharpest in your opinion?
Thanks.

No, but has its moments. Haven't seen many example images over the years that impress me much. YMMV but mine had sickly yellow cast to it. You can all chime in on why, but I got rid of it and not looking back.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wide-Open, 1.3m on the Leica M9.

J-9 Test, 0.82mm Adapter. M9 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Combination of polishing down the LTM to M-Mount adapter to 0.82mm, reducing the main shim for infinity focus. Focus with the RF is good from 1.3m to ~10m. After that, use the focus scale for distance- infinity marked is actual infinity.

Better than adjusting the main shim for close focus, which means focus will never reach infinity.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-9, red П, RF (Arsenal, 1959)

DSC01645 by Mr TTT, on Flickr

f~2,8-4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergtum wrote:

Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergtum wrote:

DSC01645 by Mr TTT, on Flickr

f~2,8-4

Beautiful rendering lens, but the model .... definitely helps a lot Thank you! for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You, Guys, so much!