Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Schneider-Kreuznach Edixa-Xenar 50mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Schneider-Kreuznach Edixa-Xenar 50mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

Im new to posting, but have been here lurking since I got in to Mirrorless 3 years ago with the Black magic pocket cinema camera (HD) and now an owner of an Nikon Z6II Ive been buying alot of old glass.
I just wanted to contribute with some shots from one of my favorite MF lenses so far. The Schneider-Kreuznach Edixa-Xenar 50mm f/2.8. its not superfast but renders a sharp and pleasing image.
here are some pictures from Stockholm last year taken with an Olympus Ep-1

(the carving on the first picture says "Me + You")

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

I never tried Xenar 50mm f/2.8 but 45mm f/2.8, I would expect both are very good lenses!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy of the xenar 50 is very good. Better rendering for long distance

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and thank you for sharing your images.
This lens is quite wonderful as you have shown.
I have taken many images with it and would be pleased to share some of them if you agree
Cheers
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that my copy is very good at almost all distances that I have tried it.
Also sharp from wide open to closed apertures.
here are some samples
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a joyful lens. Thank you to both for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading reviews of the Schneider Kreuznach Xenar 50mm f2.8 M42 lens, I began searching for one. I read the following article on the heavy brass 15 blade version along the way....

https://casualphotophile.com/2020/05/13/schneider-kreuznach-super-xenar-50mm-f-2-8-lens-review/

I did find and buy an SK Xenar 50mm F2.8 15 blade lens mounted to an Edixa Reflex - but it does not look like the same lens pictured in Casualphotophile's article:

This lens appears shorter and does not feel like 'heavy brass' though it does have 15 aperture blades and is a Xenar 50mm f2.8. Can anyone provide more information about this Xenar lens version?

Thanks very much,

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above accounts inspired me to purchase a copy of the lens. I needed a 50mm manual lens for my A7r3 full frame.

Here is how it looks on the camera*.

Using it on my camera is not totally straightforward. On the M42 to NEX adapter the lens is upside down, with the distance scale and aperture numbers not visible from above.

Another quirk is that the f numbers (5.6 here) have to be aligned with the yellowish, spindle-shaped marker:

It may be of interest that, having found my macro flash guns not lighting the camera well, I used my high-intensity LED hand torch. The exposure were 1/30 sec at f8 and ISO 640.

Beware, the light can set of flash guns when used to illuminate the subject (macro) is pointed at their fronts.

My first test shots with this combination are here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/schneider-kreuznach-edixa-xenar-12-8-50-lens-on-sony-a7r3-t84850.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1