Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta 24mm f2.8 vs Leica R 24mm f2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Minolta 24mm f2.8 vs Leica R 24mm f2.8 Reply with quote

I've heard these lenses are the same designs and actually, Minolta made the 24mm for Leica. Has anyone compared these? I have a Leica R lens kit and I want to add the 24mm to it, but the Minolta is significantly cheaper than the Leica version...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true. But only the MC and early MD Minolta's are the same, those with 9/7 construction and floating element. The final MDIII version of Minolta is an 8/8 construction.

They are indeed cheaper, but it will not fit you Leica camera.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Minolta 24mm f2.8 vs Leica R 24mm f2.8 Reply with quote

jjphoto93 wrote:
I've heard these lenses are the same designs and actually, Minolta made the 24mm for Leica.

The original optical design is from Minolta. Leitz built the lenses in Germany. So the Leitz/Leica-branded 24mm R-lenses are not made by Minolta. (according to Erwin Puts' Leica lens compendium)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Minolta 24mm f2.8 vs Leica R 24mm f2.8 Reply with quote

Sjak wrote:

The original optical design is from Minolta. Leitz built the lenses in Germany. So the Leitz/Leica-branded 24mm R-lenses are not made by Minolta. (according to Erwin Puts' Leica lens compendium)

Quute from the Leica pocket book : "In the beginning Minolta supplied the glass elements and Leitz did the assembly. Later, when Minolta stopped production, Leica continued to produce the lens. "

So i guess it depends on how old your Leica 24mm is if the elements were produced by Minolta or Leitz.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it good to add a Minolta lens on to a Leica R kit? If budget is limited, get a Minolta kit may be a better opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
That is true. But only the MC and early MD Minolta's are the same, those with 9/7 construction and floating element. The final MDIII version of Minolta is an 8/8 construction.

They are indeed cheaper, but it will not fit you Leica camera.

Thanks for that, I'm actually adapting these lenses for EF so don't mind mixing mounts initially if the quality is the same. I'm guessing the coating differs though?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Is it good to add a Minolta lens on to a Leica R kit? If budget is limited, get a Minolta kit may be a better opinion.

I already own 4 Leica R lenses, but I'm not blindly brand loyal so if I can get the same lens for 1/3rd of the price, I'm going to save the cash Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta film lenses can't be used on a EOS camera with simple adapter(the lens will not focus to infinity). The 24/2.8 does not perform well on a FF sensor if you corner performance is concerned.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
The 24/2.8 does not perform well on a FF sensor if you corner performance is concerned.

I do not see that as a problem personally.... i use it on Sony A7.

See also : http://forum.mflenses.com/hexanon-2-8-24-vs-mc-w-rokkor-2-8-24-t74287,highlight,%2Brokkor.html
although not the best samples for corner performance..... (maybe last pic at f/4)

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The absolute best version also in terms of corner sharpness is the Minolta MD III one with new design 8L/8G and that's not available from Leitz anyway.

I have this lens and it's really a top performer. Strongly recommended.

Although only on APS-C camera this comparison might be interesting as well:
http://forum.mflenses.com/24mm-lens-comparison-minolta-pentax-tokina-t76783.html

However, with a Canon camera you are out of luck. This lens isn't adaptable without additional converter glass.

Last edited by tb_a on Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that the Olympus OM 24/2.8 is better than most competing lenses - it's certainly the same price or cheaper as the Minolta and I believe more compact. They also made an F2 variant. Since the FFD is much longer on the OM system, you can adapt to EF with a glassless adapter and maintain infinity focus!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop down it to F8 the corners will be ok but I take a lots of photos in the dark. At F2.8 to F4, there are better lenses like the FD/nFD 24/2.8.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Stop down it to F8 the corners will be ok but I take a lots of photos in the dark. At F2.8 to F4, there are better lenses like the FD/nFD 24/2.8.

Are you referring to the Olympus lens?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have from 24mm there is only Canon nFD 24mm f2.8. A few shots from a recent trip to Abkhazia.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

No. I am referring to the Minolta MC 24/2.8.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
tb_a wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

No. I am referring to the Minolta MC 24/2.8.

OK, thank you. You are absolutely right. The newer MD III version is much better, particularly in terms of corner performance.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
The absolute best version also in terms of corner sharpness is the Minolta MD III one with new design 8L/8G and that's not available from Leitz anyway.

Interesting. I have a Seagull produced copy of that one, brandnew in the box, but i have never used it! Now i'm getting curious.... Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
tb_a wrote:

Interesting. I have a Seagull produced copy of that one, brandnew in the box, but i have never used it! Now i'm getting curious.... Wink

Here is a very nice test report of the MD III lens:

https://photolenses.wordpress.com/2018/01/10/minolta-md-24mm-2-8/

However, I don't know anything about the Seagull sibling.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
tb_a wrote:

The Seagull 24/2.8 has 8e/7g.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minolta MC and MD I versions of the 24/2,8 are different lenses

They have similar scheme but:

The MDI have smaller lenses than the MC:

The same formula, yes. But the elements are not interchangeable between them.

The MDI's elements are smaller than the MC's ones.

So the lenses aren't the same.

They have different rendering, and this is the reality.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papasito,
This does not look right. From the tables, it seems that MC MD I and the first MD II are the same and that Minolta issued a 2nd MD II much lighter (215 versus 275 g) before launching the MD III 8/8. It remains to be seen whether the 9/7 lenses are not all the same with the latest MD II version being just a mechanically optimised version.
Artaphot does not differentiate between the various 9/7.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

They have different rendering, and this is the reality.

Minolta changed the barrel construction a few times, not the element's size. That would make it a completely different calculation if you ask me.
Any differences in rendering is due to the fact that they improved on coatings over the years.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know "the MDI have smaller lenses than the MC". Did you measure it yourself or get the info from another source?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left MD II(275g) and right MDIII(205g):

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens you show on the left is MD-I
MD-I lenses have the front markings: MINOLTA MD W.ROKKOR 1:2.8 f=24mm LENS MADE IN JAPAN
like this:

MD-II lenses have the front markings: MINOLTA MD W.ROKKOR 24mm 1:2.8 LENS MADE IN JAPAN ø55mm
like this:

This MD-I lens has its DOF scale on a tubular shape barrel

The early MD-II lens also had this exact same shape and weight

This MD-II lens has its DOF scale on a conical shape barrel