Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rip out lens or save for posterity?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Rip out lens or save for posterity? Reply with quote

This camera was described as fully functional but the shutter is stuck half open. I planned to shoot a roll with it but that obviously won't work.

I could take it apart for the lens and try to adapt it. It was only about 11 EUR, but I would feel bad destroying such a work of art.

And attempting a repair myself is probably a bad idea.

I have never seen or heard of a Plastogon lens so it might be rare. Is it a triplet?

What do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice looking camera. I always assumed the plastogon was enna's version of the tessar formula but I may be wrong. I would be reluctant to shred the camera, personally. I'm sure their are examples out there that are worse for the wear, and thus more suitable to sacrifice to the gods of optics.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd that enna used both plastigon and plastogon names......

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that is strange with the lens names! And you get surprisingly little info when googeling about it.

I'm usually all for sacrifices to the gods (pun on my username) but in this case I'm starting to lean against it. Considering everything else seems to work, even the light meter!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that your Braun uses a Compur-Rapid shutter, maybe you can find a junker with the same shutter and use it to practice on, so you'll have a bit of experience at it when you dive into your Colorette.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try and save it, there are lots of beyond repair cameras that would good candidates for lensectomy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had what might be a related problem with my Konica III. After a LONG period of disuse, the shutter became frozen. I was VERY upset because the camera means a lot to me.

What I did:

I tapped and tapped and tapped and tapped. Finally the shutter began to have some motion. I continued like that until finally full function was restored. My takeaway:

Do not leave the camera alone for long periods of time. Take it out periodically and operate the shutter a few times to "shake out the cobwebs".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guardian what a neat trick! I took a small block of wood and started to tap away at it and it worked. All it took was about 300 taps.
This Colorette will live on! I will try to use it more than the previous owner, thanks a lot! Friends

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Hey guardian what a neat trick! I took a small block of wood and started to tap away at it and it worked. All it took was about 300 taps.

did you shoot a youtube video of the procedure? Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No video sorry, didn't expect it to work. But I can show you the tool, a piece of birch wood. I just began hitting the poor thing on the lens and saw tiny movement of the shutter right away.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
This Colorette will live on! I will try to use it more than the previous owner, thanks a lot! Friends

I am always happy to be of service. Merry Christmas to you.

It's a very nice camera, BTW. I am glad you did not dismantle it.

For everyone:

While I am very pleased blotafton's block of wood worked for him, I do find that choice a tad bit aggressive. What I use is one side of an old toothbrush handle. The handle is made of hard plastic, but the striking surface used is one side only of that handle, the side which is slightly padded.

With my Konica III I also repeatedly cocked and fired the shutter during the tapping procedure.

I have owned my Konica III for roughly sixty years. I am the original owner. The camera is in absolutely pristine condition, and I thought my storage procedure, replete with silica gel, was spot on. Obviously I was seriously in error on that one. The key, again, is actually to operate the camera every now and then.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So....You just needed a bigger hammer?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
While I am very pleased blotafton's block of wood worked for him, I do find that choice a tad bit aggressive. What I use is one side of an old toothbrush handle. The handle is made of hard plastic, but the striking surface used is one side only of that handle, the side which is slightly padded.

Welcome to Sweden!

Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about vibration? put the camera on to of the washing machine Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local paint store have machines to shake gallon cans of paint...

Or just toss into empty clothes dryer...