Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Identifying a mystery Takumar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Identifying a mystery Takumar Reply with quote

This lens is up for bidding, but in researching I have found nothing about it. What I have found is that a 28mm exists with f2, and f3.5, but this is clearly not one of those. I can not make out the numeral after the 1..could be an 8 or a 9? But in either case, I haven't found any information at all. Is anyone familiar with this lens? Thanks for your help. (Apologies for the poor photo)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its for medium format cameras maybe?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it comes bundled with a ESII 35mm camera, and two other lenses that are recognizable (50mm, and 135mm)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks more like either the 4.5/20 or the 3.5/24 rather than a 28. This is strange...
If it IS a 1.? / 28, it should be a very interesting one.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why don't you just ask the seller what is exactly written around the front glass? instead of speculating based upon a poor photo?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
why don't you just ask the seller what is exactly written around the front glass? instead of speculating based upon a poor photo?

I have written to the seller, but I have little hope in receiving any clarity. They are the easily befuddled kind who find items at estates, and identify lenses by the filter size which is often attached. Regardless of what they may say, it is easy to deduce that this is the 28mm lens, and that it isn't f2 or f3.5. I have already committed a sizable chunk of money on the bid, and there are just a few days left.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've many times asked seller , that didn't have a clue about lenses, to tell me what is written on the lens, and got the information about the lenses. you just have to point them in the right direction Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
i've many times asked seller , that didn't have a clue about lenses, to tell me what is written on the lens, and got the information about the lenses. you just have to point them in the right direction Smile

I agree with what you're saying, but it isn't that important for me at the moment. I have recently purchased a Spotmatic, and I have only one Takumar (135mm), so I will win this bid, perhaps, and have a 28mm and 50mm f1.4 and another 135mm, and a nice camera too. Very Happy
So, within a few weeks, I will be able to look at the lens and read exactly what it says. But if it does say f1.8 on it, which it may, then the mystery still persists...unless someone here knows something about it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the rear portion of the lens barrel seems to be chromed ... If i remember well, it was a characteristic of the first Takumar lenses (which were not multi-coated) ... Something is strange with this pic ...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without any doubt, a 28/3.5, with a shitty jpeg compression. The "chrome" parts are light reflections Wink Serial number does correspond to a 28/3.5 too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the previous poster. It's just a regular 28mm f/3.5 Takumar.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a 3.5/28 to me too:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, for your responses. I was able to view the lens aperture ring, and though the numerals were indecipherable I could see that there were 5 sets. That would indicate, also, that it is a f3.5? Mystery solved, Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like S-M-C 1:4.5 20mm to me...