Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need help to identify adapter labelled "SL"
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Need help to identify adapter labelled "SL" Reply with quote

Can anyone help me to ID the adapter, labelled "SL", shown in this photo:

This Vivitar T4 or TX adapter is from the 1970's, so not modern day Leica.

I thought perhaps Rollei, but it does not appear to resemble other Rollei SL adapters I am seeing online.

Does anyone know what adapter this is?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to a copy of a Vivitar TX Lens System advert I found on the 'net, "SL" is "Vivitar SL series", which isn't a lot of help, 'cos I can't find any reference to Vivitar SLR's that aren't 42-screw, but it might give you somewhere to start looking.

Good luck ... let us know if you find anything more!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Leicaflex SL, or you can say it is in Leica R mount

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's that advert I found. There's no mention of Leica!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, thank you for your responses. Much appreciated.

I did research this on my own before asking the forum. Existence of a modern Leica mirrorless camera designated "SL" makes research very difficult. Was there also a much older Leica SL camera body? I do not know.

As for the Vivitar SL, it was an old Cosina-manufactured camera body. It lacked a sterling reputation and sported an m42 mount. So of course T4 and TX lenses would work with a Vivitar SL, but only through use of the m42 adapter.

I remain quite confused by the adapter shown in the OP.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The side shown by the image in the OP is the side that fits to the TX lens.
I guess if the SL refers to Vivitar screw lenses the other side will be a M42 screw mount Smile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the lens mount, not the ads. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP shows the mount fitted to a lens, that's the only way you'd get to see the red "O" and the green "L" in the bottom right of the picture, they're on the lock on the lens itself, you are looking at the bayonet fitting that'll go to a camera ... still got not sure what it fits though, but if I was a betting man I'd go for K-mount. The locking recess on the right of the picture is in the same relationship to the bayonet as on the back of my Pentax lenses and the bayonet itself looks VERY similar.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
The OP shows the mount fitted to a lens, that's the only way you'd get to see the red "O" and the green "L" in the bottom right of the picture, they're on the lock on the lens itself, you are looking at the bayonet fitting that'll go to a camera ... still got not sure what it fits though, but if I was a betting man I'd go for K-mount. The locking recess on the right of the picture is in the same relationship to the bayonet as on the back of my Pentax lenses and the bayonet itself looks VERY similar.

So I was wrong last time then!
But it's certainly not K mount. The two levers in a K mount are opposite each other and this has additions bits too..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:

I did research this on my own before asking the forum. Existence of a modern Leica mirrorless camera designated "SL" makes research very difficult. Was there also a much older Leica SL camera body? I do not know.

Leitz's first SLR was the Leicaflex. made between 1964 and 1968. The next model was the Leicaflex SL, made between 1968 and 1974. It was followed by the Leicaflex SL2, which was made between 1974 and 1976. This model was followed by the R3, etc. The original Leicaflex was clunky and not popular. It had a non-TTL meter and mirror lock-up. The SL was less clunky, had a TTL meter and was much more popular, but mirror lock-up was dropped. So this mount shown by the OP might be carrying the SL designation as a reflection of the SL's (and SL2's) popularity. The original mount is still basically the same today as it was then. Just the way the lenses intersect with the camera's controls is the only difference (1 cam, 2 cam, etc.).

Read more about the original Leica SLRs here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicaflex_/_SL_/_SL2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
kypfer wrote:

So I was wrong last time then!
But it's certainly not K mount. The two levers in a K mount are opposite each other and this has additions bits too..

Yes, you're right Smile

A bit more research shows

the Leica "R" mount on a Leica SL camera, and it's got the thicker locking pin, like the recess in the OP

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
guardian wrote:

Leitz's first SLR was the Leicaflex. made between 1964 and 1968. The next model was the Leicaflex SL, made between 1968 and 1974. It was followed by the Leicaflex SL2, which was made between 1974 and 1976. This model was followed by the R3, etc. The original Leicaflex was clunky and not popular. It had a non-TTL meter and mirror lock-up. The SL was less clunky, had a TTL meter and was much more popular, but mirror lock-up was dropped. So this mount shown by the OP might be carrying the SL designation as a reflection of the SL's (and SL2's) popularity. The original mount is still basically the same today as it was then. Just the way the lenses intersect with the camera's controls is the only difference (1 cam, 2 cam, etc.).

Read more about the original Leica SLRs here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leicaflex_/_SL_/_SL2

Well, that's the answer, then. Thank you for a very good, but at least for me also very necessary, complete explanation.

And I want to acknowledge calvin83 was right all along. Thanks to him, as well.

This adapter will be arriving at my home this morning. It is attached to a lens I bought for its own sake, not for the adapter as I often do. See link to entire lens in my post here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-tokina-75-260-4-5-almost-the-biggest-t4-t7772.html#1502363

Even though I will be changing that SL adapter out for an m42 TX adapter, I was still curious to know what it is. I do not have anything else like it and had never seen the like of it prior.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On chance it is not already clear from the above, I know virtually nothing about Leica gear, vintage or modern.

But the up-thread dialogue does prompt an additional question, centered on the adapter shown in the OP:

Leica's modern-day mirrorless SL camera body, at circa US$7000, is significantly beyond my means and flies well above my radar. But others might have familiarity with it, so I will ask:

Would the adapter shown in the OP allow adaptation of vintage T4 or TX (not sure yet which it is) MF lenses to a modern Leica SL mirrorless camera body?

If so, it strikes me this SL adapter might have more value than the inexpensive lens to which it is attached!! Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not? However, I doubt there if there will be 0.01% Typ 601 user will use these lens on their camera. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Why not? However, I doubt there if there will be 0.01% Typ 601 user will use these lens on their camera. Wink

Laugh 1

That is a very good answer. But it also brought me a smile!!

Yes, of course, anyone who can afford a $7000 camera body is not going to bother with old T4 or TX MF lenses. Those people can afford the very best modern lenses!!

But I didn't think of that on my own.

Still, nice to know the adapter in the OP might have some usefulness, even today.