Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tripods
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
bob955i wrote:

Their loss is our gain though. Wink

Yes Wink

The weight topic has a point thought Sad

Somehow, Orio, I just don't mind the weight of my 180...it's just another "reminder" to me that there is some robust, heavy, finely milled and polished Zeiss glass in there!

The 300? Well, I guess it would be an even stronger reminder!

You understand, I'm sure... Laughing

HEAVY! But we don't mind a bit!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a portable system! Razz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too bad for a P&S.... Laughing

Joking aside, who makes your tripod Larry?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Here's a portable system! Razz

Yes, I usually resort to using my trusty Tessaract, just fold all that 3-dimensional mass into itself, using 4-dimensional hinges, and pretty soon it all carries around inside of a pocket! Very Happy

By the way, my favorite short story, And He Built a Crooked House by Robert Heinlein, is a GREAT quick read. This was one of my first forays into the world of Science Fiction, and the little amusing tale made a permanent impression on me. It was one WACKY house that was built! Highly, highly recommended!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too bad i missed it too !!! Sad
Damn the chiken i was cooking.... Mad Mad Mad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was tempted but I would have used it not very often with my P6 and now I need to spare some money to buy lenses for my view camera Sad
Anyone has a Schneider 210 Symmar-S on sale? Razz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Not too bad for a P&S.... Laughing

Joking aside, who makes your tripod Larry?

Haha! A ten pound point and shoot!

Bob, that is my old scarred, beat up warhorse of a tripod, the good old Manfrotto 3003 legs, and the 3025 three-way head.

Solid, midweight (3.5 pounds), and.....SIMPLE! I use it for everything I own, that's how much I like it. To me, the simple and strong items without bells and whistles is the best. And this old tripod is EXACTLY that.

I imagine it might wear out one day, and then I would go right back to the auction site to find another. I won't change from what I know works!

I guess I could go find a carbon fiber leg set, but to me it makes sense to be able to buy a 3003 set of legs for about 1/8th the cost of carbon fiber, with a weight difference of about 1/2 pound heavier for the aluminum legs over the carbon legs. A no-brainer. So, buy the carbon fiber for $320, or the 3003 aluminum for $40....hmmmm.... Laughing

Can you tell I like this tripod? Shocked Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I thought it was a Manfrotto from the latches at the top of the legs.

I'm still using my ancient Slik 88 - although it's probably not a patch on your Manny. It's very old hat although I did replace the original 3-way head with a Manfrotto 488RC0 ball head. The 488 is a good head but I do prefer a 3-way.

Like yours though, the tripod works, and works well although I have been tempted with the 055XPROB with the horizontal centre column.

It manages my RB67 P&S for now anyway.... Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Yes, I thought it was a Manfrotto from the latches at the top of the legs.

I'm still using my ancient Slik 88 - although it's probably not a patch on your Manny. It's very old hat although I did replace the original 3-way head with a Manfrotto 488RC0 ball head. The 488 is a good head but I do prefer a 3-way.

Like yours though, the tripod works, and works well although I have been tempted with the 055XPROB with the horizontal centre column.

It manages my RB67 P&S for now anyway.... Laughing

Bob, that Slik 88 is just fine, I'll bet! I went to a ball head for a while, but felt more positive back with the three-way head. Especially for the heavier medium format gear!

And yeah...that RB67...a fine point-and-shoot! Razz Seriously though, you have one of the finest and classically beautiful medium format cameras ever made with that RB....and the 6x7 format is wonderfully conducive towards beautiful compositions! You have just enough "rectangular feel" to make composing a blast!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Larry - I'm really looking forward to shooting with the RB once I get the new light seals from Mamiya and I'm also planning on getting the 50 and 65mm lenses as well at some point; probably the 50mm first as I'm a WA guy at heart.

Re heads, what I've found is that while ball heads are more convenient, sometimes one needs the relatively restricted movement of a 3-way head for more precise adjustment.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Thanks Larry - I'm really looking forward to shooting with the RB once I get the new light seals from Mamiya and I'm also planning on getting the 50 and 65mm lenses as well at some point; probably the 50mm first as I'm a WA guy at heart.

Re heads, what I've found is that while ball heads are more convenient, sometimes one needs the relatively restricted movement of a 3-way head for more precise adjustment.

Oh man...I've seen shots from the 50mm RB67 lens, Bob, and they were to die for! I too love the wide angle images in the square format. So, after the light seals, you'll be ready to roll, right? I would LOVE to see an image of the camera! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry wrote:
Oh man...I've seen shots from the 50mm RB67 lens, Bob, and they were to die for!

Yes, I've seen a few myself and was sold. Cool

50mm on 6x7 works out at about 25mm for 35mm so it's still very much workable - no Flek 20 style shenanigans but then there's times when 20mm is just a bit too all-encompassing. The 50mm does apparently have a reputation for edge softness but from what I've read, it's largely down to operator error due to them not setting the floating element ring for critical DOF.

Quote:
So, after the light seals, you'll be ready to roll, right? I would LOVE to see an image of the camera! Smile

Yup - all it needs are two semi-rectangular seals on either side of the rotating adapter. Cool £9.35 GBP including postage.... Laughing Once I get that sorted out, I'll shoot a test roll with some Velvia 100, (the replacement for V50 that never quite caught on.) get it developed and then scanned after I've checked the positives. I was intending to get a V700/750 scanner but the RB + my deer v car escapade has kind of put that on the back burner for now.

There's an image of it in the Gear Gallery sporting the 3.8/127mm lens (the only one I have at the moment):

http://forum.mflenses.com/rb67-pro-s-and-mamiya-sekor-c-3-8-127-t7636.html