Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A nice, compact 35mm?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: A nice, compact 35mm? Reply with quote

Hi there,

For urban (people and architecture), to pair it with an A6000 and a Fuji X-T10, possibly compact (or as compact as it can be).
I was looking at the Zuiko 2.8: is it good? Is there something better?

Thanks for any hints!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Fuji X-T10 the Fujinon Super EBC 35mm f1.4 is the absolute best that you will find.
A lens to fit both that is also compact I would suggest the Konica AR 40mm f1.8
Yes it is a little longer in focal length but a cracking good lens and fast.
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the Oly is good! It's fairly small as well, i do not think you'll find a more compact 35mm lens easily. That Konica lens is indeed another nice option!
I'd say Minolta MD 2.8/35 or 1.8/35, but that wouldn't be quite a compact lens!

If you want it to be really compact i think you should look for a rangefinder lens, but i'm not familiar with those!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CV 35mm/F1.7 LTM. Very compact but a little heavy (full metal construction). Excellent picture quality and relatively fast.
Some example pictures are shown here: http://forum.mflenses.com/voigtlander-35mm-f1-7-ultron-ltm-t72546.html
My most favorite 35mm lens on APS-C.

Look: Click here to see on Ebay

Last edited by tb_a on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:

I'd say Minolta MD 2.8/35 or 1.8/35, but that wouldn't be quite a compact lens!

The 35/2.8 is definitely a good option, the 1.8 isn't all that good. If you want a small fast(ish) 35 for architecture, I'd suggest the Canon nFD 35mm f/2:

Canon nFD35/2 vs Minolta MD35/1.8 & MD35/2.8

The fast nFD wide angles (nFD24/2, 28/2 & 35/2) have problems with wear, though. The slide bearings that hold the floating group tend to wear out and the floating group comes slightly loose which will have some impact on IQ.

My copy doesn't have that issue and performs very well.

Last edited by Boris_Akunin on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most compact 35mm I know is the Canon S 35/2.8 in LTM, it has no colour shift on my NEX-7 or on my A7r, both very sensitive to colour shift.
Here it is 2nd from left next to my NEX-7:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Leica Summaron 35mm 3.5 50`s version, very small and compact, sharp and very little if any distortion. The later but but more expensive 35mm 2.8 is supposed to be even better, depends on your budget.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The leica summicron 35mm f/2 is very good and very compact, but obviously its price/performance ratio is a bit... distorted.
I would have never bought it personally, I inherited it from my great grandfather, but if money is no issue, its really an excellent lens.

[/img]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If high speed is a priority, don't forget the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 Nokton - or its 40mm f1.4 brother (or sister - do lenses have gender???). With its Leica mount adapter on either camera body it will be smaller than any retrofocus lens suitably adapted. Not inexpensive, but way cheaper than any other fast Leitz rangefinder lens, or the the Fuji 35/1.4.

Or there are the Canon 35mm f1.8 or f2, RF lensesboth of which can be had a bit cheaper than a new Nokton, or the Canon 35mm f1.5 whose price is now stratospheric.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topcon RE Auto 35mm f/2.8 is a very nice and not so expensive lens. It delivers nicely on the APS-C 24 MPX sensor of the A6000 and it's well balanced with the body. You can see a lot of examples on this site, for instance the very nice photos of our member Woodrim here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/topcon-35mm-f-2-8-re-auto-topcor-t52524,highlight,%2Btopcor+%2B35mm.html

Impressive specs for its era it has, as you can see:

On FF the the corners are a bit weak till f/8 (on A7R2), but on APS-C it is very good.

However, if you don't mind AF, the the 30mm f/2.8 Sigma Art lens is very good, compact and cheap. I had the Art trio (19, 30, 60) and I was very content with them on my Nex-7.
The 35mm f/2.8 Zeiss-Sony is even better and equally compact, but the price is 3-4 times higher.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Canon LTM 35mm f/3.2 Serenar that is very compact. And it does a very good job, too.