Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Topcon 35mm f/2.8 RE Auto-Topcor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Topcon 35mm f/2.8 RE Auto-Topcor Reply with quote

Not much to say - pictures speak for themselves.

9 - Crop from above

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks nice and sharp, congrats. Nice series too. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three Topcors, including this one, and love them all. No surprise that they are fairly expensive even now.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the RE 58/1.8 I have is wicked sharp, much more than my RE 58/1.4
The 28 & 35 are high on my list to get.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest difference between the 58mm f/1.8 and f/1.4 I mentioned: black is black at the 1.8 while the 1.4 has low-contrastlike reddish black.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This 35mm lens measures out as a very close-up minimum focus distance, great for this type of shooting!
It also is the most common lens to be found on my camera as my everyday lens!
I have several other RE AUTO TOPS now as well: 3.5/25, 2.8/28, 2.8/35, 1.4/58 3.5/58bellows 2.8/100 and the 3.5/135

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce: I have the 58/1.8, and 135/3.5 and both are very good lenses. I also have a 300/5.6 that seems to have potential, but has some fungus issues. I'm not that great at taking these things apart, so may have to sell the 300 and another 58 in similar condition to someone that can clean them. Pity as I wanted to see what the 300 can do. I've been watching for a 58/1.4 at reasonable cost and would love to have a 25mm, but those go even higher. The 100mm is also on my watch list.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim, I see a couple here for sale now! I can get occasional good prices here, good place to watch! http://www.keh.com/search?store=camera&brand=Brand&category=Class&k=topcor&s=1&bcode=Brand&ccode=Class&grade=Grade&sprice=0&eprice=0&r=SE&e
I see 35 and 135 go for cheap here. Sorry, Im not much of a tele shooter as Im stuck in the city no need for a 300. The 35 and 135 so far my favs! Cool
You did a nice job with your shoots woodrim Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting for someone to grab the 85mm f/1.8 as there are two of them on eBay now (a bit overpriced maybe, but it's unique there are multiple offered).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're on Google+, you should submit #6 on Tree Tuesday for Tree Tuesday. That's a fantastic shot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some more recent shots from this lens. I went to a beautiful location, Magnolia Gardens/Plantation, only to discover I had forgotten to take my lens bag with me. Only had the Topcor 35mm with the NEX-5N. I hope this isn't a sign of my memory these days. If I post on this site as someone new, you'll know I crossed the line.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that's a pretty good combo to be "stuck" with! I must say again that the sensor on the 5N especially really does a great job with most lenses.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good series! Especially the butterflies are very nice.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn..................

those are fine pictures. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably my all time favourite lens (perhaps tied with the Yashica ML 28mm (late version))

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after those two amazing series of shots, the 35 has jumped to the front in my "Lenses to get" list, sigh....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just won a great one in rare black version!
Topcors are getting highly addictive... Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats !

You beat me by a dollar.... Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets see some shoots klaus, I find this Topcor 35mm a great flower shooter... nice close up performance

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Just won a great one in rare black version!
Topcors are getting highly addictive... Very Happy

Yes, as of a few hours ago, I replaced on my camera a Topcor 58m f1.8 with a Zeiss Planar 50mm, f1.7, and I'm going through withdrawal. Of course, we all know that there is nothing "wrong" with the Zeiss, but I do miss the Topcor. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
lets see some shoots klaus, I find this Topcor 35mm a great flower shooter... nice close up performance

Sorry Mir, but be assured it comes into loving hands!

Yep, bought it especially for that purpose. The seller is a colleague of mine from a photo club, nice to know that.

And of course will I be showing results here later!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-reading this thread has prompted me to post some results taken today with my copy of the RE 35mm f2.8 (in black), which I bought after first reading this thread. All were taken with the Oly OM-D E-M5. All the pictures below were taken at f4 - this seems to give the best balance of sharpness and background blur IMHO. The lens has a bit of glow at f2.8, which reduces at f3.3 and is gone at f4. I have boosted contrast with a small curves adjustment, but very little PP is needed with this lens. It is a very fine lens indeed.

I hope my efforts are not too embarrassing in the exalted company of the superb pictures already posted.

Mark

Peony

Allium

Aquilegia Vulgaris

Veronica Gentianoides

Geum "Totally Tangerine"

Geum "Totally Tangerine"

Anemone Sylvestris

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Very well done!

Thanks Klaus. Praise indeed! (Feeling smug now. Very Happy )

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my black one (MINT-condition btw, looks hardly ever used) and took it for a spin... all at f2.8 except otherwise noted

Full set here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/72157634063921101/

Wood Bee while pollinating (used f4 for those to have a bit more DOF):

crop:

all full format following:

Still in shock about the performance, ease of use, pop-in focus of this lens...

Btw. this is about that bee: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylocopa_violacea member of the Carpenter bee group

Last edited by kds315* on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:31 pm; edited 6 times in total