Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Jena lenses with Contax/Yashica native mount?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Zeiss Jena lenses with Contax/Yashica native mount? Reply with quote

Are you aware of the existence of Zeiss Jena lenses with Contax/Yashica native mount?
There is a 180mm Sonnar in an Italian shop (paper ad, not ebay), and it would come quite cheap (relatively to the value of the lens), so I would consider for a spare copy or for resale, but it sports a Contax-Yashica mount. Now this makes me very suspicious, because I never heard of Zeiss Jena lenses natively built with Western Zeiss mount.
My suspicion is that they might have customized a Pentacon lens, or, even worse, an M42 lens, and applied the C/Y mount after removing the original mount. For my experience, I fear terribly these kind of customizations, made by who-knows-whom, because the chances that they may go wrong and damage the lens are much greater than the chances of a perfect work.
If instead the C/Y mount was native, the matter would entirely change, and it could actually be a quite rare piece to own.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

There are plenty of CARL ZEISS OBERKOCHEN lenses with C/Y-mount, and really excellent ones!

So either your right in your suspicion or the paper ad had a misprint and wrote "Jena" although it wasn't Jena...

Carsten

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Hi!
There are plenty of CARL ZEISS OBERKOCHEN lenses with C/Y-mount, and really excellent ones!

Very Happy Carsten, I know them well, I have 9 of them! It's most of them, I don't have only the more expensive, and the zooms (characteristics that usually also coincide)

LucisPictor wrote:

So either your right in your suspicion or the paper ad had a misprint and wrote "Jena" although it wasn't Jena...
Carsten

No no, there was the photo, it was a true CZJ Sonnar 180.
The doubt remains, but given how copyright issues were a problem between the two split zeiss firms, I tend to think more that this was a user customization. :-\
Now, the problem is that the lens is not near, else i would go and try and solve the problem.
Anyway, it's not a big problem, I already have the lens - but it's such a gorgeous piece of glass that is difficult to resist a nice cheap copy.
Smile
These long Sonnars are amongst the very few lenses I own which can be both very sharp and with excellent creamy bokeh. For many other lenses (that I tried, at least) it's usually one feature or the other.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Orio, I constantly forget how huge your lens collection is. Shocked Very Happy

I agree then, it seems to be a "personal adjustment", which might be a unique thing, though - just remember my EOS CZJ 4/135:

There is no hint of a C/Y-mount CZJ in Kadlubek's lens catalogue either.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That lens is custom modification I don't think so both factory made same products. If you have a chance to try before buy try it.