Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Access SQ 500mm f/8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Access SQ 500mm f/8 Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with the Access SQ 500mm f/8 M42 telephoto lens or information about its optical and mechanical quality? The lens has an all metal construction with a long hood and is labeled as made in Japan.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See

http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/quantaray-500mm-f8-f32.html

Personally I prefer, and recommend, the better 400mm f6.3's.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could this be really Japanese and not Chinese made? It could be 10 years old or maybe more.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it's Wundertüte could be of course

SQ sounds like Sigma ,there is some engram in my mind about SQ lenses maybe double focusing system or something. Wundertüte generally didnt have that

It is very vague and I have never owned such a lens, just trying to help.

Wundertüte is generally regarded as not spectacular but nice for almost no money (I suppose this depends on whether you pay $10 or $110)

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a quick google and it pulled up a listing just ended (the seller, cambrianphoto, is my local shop actually). This lens is just a standard 4 element cheap generic 500mm f8. Looks identical to one branded praetor I had. And as soon as the word "haze" is mentioned in respect of these it's time to walk away, - I estimate more than half of these have hazed rear elements see here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the owner the lens could be 25 years old so I very much doubt that it is not Japanese. Now about the rear lens element haze problem I could check it before buying it. However the asking price seemed a little too high and I am not sure how much would be a fair price to offer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't pay more than ~ £30/40euro/$50 for one of these generic 500mm.
I repeat the tokina made soligor/vivitar 400mm f6.3's are much better, and the examples of the classic tokyo koki 400mm f6.3's I have had pass through my hands have also more often than not been good and sharp.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tokina-rmc-400mm-f63.html

http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/minetar-400mm-actually-425mm-f6-3.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't plan to look for lenses on the internet. I just wanted to try the one I found. If is not worth it I will not buy it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buerokratiehasser wrote:
Are you sure it's Wundertüte could be of course

SQ sounds like Sigma ,there is some engram in my mind about SQ lenses maybe double focusing system or something. Wundertüte generally didnt have that

Sigma High end (or supposed !!) lenses of ~1975 were XQ (not sq)