Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor (Tokina) 400/6.3, the biggest of the T4's
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Soligor (Tokina) 400/6.3, the biggest of the T4's Reply with quote

I've just received the latest installment in the old Tokina Auto-T4 range, the biggest lens made for the T4 mount, a 400/6.3. This is a Soligor, and apparently the same lens was also sold by Vivitar. This is a somewhat uncommon lens, as this is the first one I've seen in three months.

My Tokina T4 (and related) collection is missing just three lenses at this point - the 250/4, 105/2.8, and 135/3.5

Its a fairly light lens for its size, as befits something that has a resemblance to the fabled "wundertute". This is not however a "wundertute", as it is a telephoto and not merely a long lens. It is shorter than my Spiratone or Komura. It is also an auto-diaphragm lens, but that is of course a moot point on a DSLR. It also has an excellent built-in lens hood.

I have to say though that it is a disappointment. It lacks the sharpness of my Spiratone and Komura and Soligor-Tamron 350 or of its Sears-Tokina 300mm cousin, and there was a lot of color fringing in the hazy sunshine. Its minimum focus distance is greater than my other 400's also, at 25ft/8m, so the "bird" shot was not worthwhile.

There were a lot of boats in the water, being Friday afternoon, and aircraft, etc., so theres a fair bit of attempts at moving object shooting in this set.

crop -

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm... I can not say this lens impresses me much, I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I agree - it's not terrible but not up to the non-tele's you've shown.