Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MC Rokkor-PG 1.2/58
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Minolta MC Rokkor-PG 1.2/58 Reply with quote

I was recently gauging prices and searching for a 1.2 lens, a Nikkor or Zuiko.
I stumbled upon a 1.2/58 Rokkor-PG in an SRT-102 kit, for very cheap, and ended up buying it.
Now I know I can't adapt it to my EOS system, but it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Does anyone actually have any experience changing the mount? Or know of anyone who can provide that service for a fee?
I imagine it wouldn't be worth the troubles, might be better off selling it then buying a AIS Nikkor or zuiko 1.2/50.
In that case, does anyone have an extra 1.2/50 they would be interested in trading?
I haven't received the lens get, but looks to be in excellent condition.
Also, the serial number is 2588217, and I know there were multiple versions of it. Can anyone tell me more about the example that I will be getting?
Any input on any of this would be appreciated Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Minolta MC Rokkor-PG 1.2/58 Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:

Does anyone actually have any experience changing the mount? Or know of anyone who can provide that service for a fee?
I imagine it wouldn't be worth the troubles, might be better off selling it then buying a AIS Nikkor or zuiko 1.2/50.
In that case, does anyone have an extra 1.2/50 they would be interested in trading?
I haven't received the lens get, but looks to be in excellent condition.
Also, the serial number is 2588217, and I know there were multiple versions of it. Can anyone tell me more about the example that I will be getting?

If you have some experience with basic tools, and some DIY enthusiasm it not that hard to do. I've converted a 58/1.2 and a 58/1.4 in both cases the conversion is totally reversible in case you change your mind and want to use the lens in original MD mount. A rather nice starting guide (though not that detailed) - http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/minolta-rokkor-58-to-canon-eos-conversion.html
Also, AFAIK there are conversion kits http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/748982/0 but I wanted to do the project for myself.

What you need is a M42 - EOS adapter (to get one for a reasonable price, search ebay for BiGis adapters), and to be able to drill some holes Smile Also you'd need to polish the rear element retaining ring.

I know my writing might sound chaotic, but it's doable. In case you decide to DIY you can ask questions Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Richard Harris photography, Richard used to make kits for the 58, very easy to change, he also posts as ricardovasta on dyxum

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Minolta MC Rokkor-PG 1.2/58 Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:

Congrats to your new lens. It's a well regarded lens. I have it as well in MC II version which seems to be the most popular among the Minolta fanboys.

It's hard to tell you anything about the lens if you just know the serial number.
It's more easy to identify the sub-version by other criteria.

Please refer to this list for further information:
http://minolta.eazypix.de/lenses/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, I have zero tools and have never even disassembled a lens. I have heard nothing but great things about the lens so I wouldn't mind adapting it. The thing is, I would rather pay someone to do it for me than do it myself, as easy as people say it is. I would screw it up ;p

And I am pretty certain that I also have the second version, "MC II", as the serial does not match radioactive ones but it still has the suffix PG. maybe I should just sell it and reinvest money on an easily adaptable 1.2.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its 4 screws

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
The thing is, I have zero tools and have never even disassembled a lens. I have heard nothing but great things about the lens so I wouldn't mind adapting it. The thing is, I would rather pay someone to do it for me than do it myself, as easy as people say it is. I would screw it up ;p

IMO, it is a very unique and good lens. If you got it cheap then spending a bit more on an adapter mount or conversion service it still would worth as end result...

I have/had others 55-58mm f/1.2 and this rokkor got all my highlights.

As for conversion, some time ago (2-3 years?) I ordered a conversion kit from JIM BUCHANON (www.jimbuchananspace.com/Camera_Services.html) and it was REALY EASY to do the conversion to EOS... You only need a screwdriver :p

LEITAX (http://www.leitax.com/Rokkor-lens-for-Canon-cameras.html) also has a conversion kit for this lens...

Maybe EdMika can have the conversion kit for this lens or provide the conversion service.

Last edited by vlousada on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah 4 screws huh?
Maybe it is worth it. I will have to do some thinking, but it seems it might be worth the money and effort.
I also really like some of the sample pictures I've seen.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Minolta MC Rokkor-PG 1.2/58 Reply with quote

Jim Buchanon is your man...

http://www.jimbuchananspace.com/Camera_Services.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or sell it, sought after lens, fetch good price and sell promptly. I love my Minolta MD 50mm f1.2 what I bought here on forum from member Tervueren. I heard people rate 58mm higher, better bokeh.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mine modified by Jim a year ago and the job was top notch. It cleared the 5D mirror and it focuses to infinity. However, do take note though that in the process, there has been a more pronounced vignetting in the 4 corners mid-range to infinity that would always force me to crop very dark corners out making it like a 60mm or so lens.
I've since sold my 5D but still using the modified lens with a Sony A7s. The heavy vignette is still there so I kind of prefer using the Canon 55/1.2 FD more nowadays.
I can still try and convert it back to the original mount but it's too much of a hassle for me at the moment. Were it not for that vignetting, it's my top choice among
all the 1.2s i've tried.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for JIM BUCHANON
Just be aware that Canon FF bodies will likely have mirror issues near infinity, a workaround using live view can be used.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very nice lens indeed, and messing with it would be sacrilege! Here are some recent shots taken with an a7.

It's a late version, no PG designation.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Dog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many good lenses get reworked into non functional (for the original camera) for my taste. Rather than doing a destructive mod either sell and get the Nikkor, or go for the simple screw mount conversion. Just my opinion though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses!
Those are some lovely images blotafton. I absolutely love that bokeh and center sharpness.

Jamaeolus-I think I would agree with you. I would never do a permanent mod on any lens- if anything, I would consider a mount change that is reversible. However, I'm thinking of reselling it- I got it rather cheap- less than $200 with other things worth about $70. I think I could sell it and find a Nikkor or zuiko cheap enough as to basically keep the new 1.2/50 for free. I will make ultimate decision when I get it in few days, but as of now, I'm leanings or resale. Unless someone makes it really easy on me and sends me a link to a inexpensive m42 mount conversion kit, then I might feel forced to put forth the effort Smile
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OR, sell the Canon and buy any A7 variant you can afford and just get the right adapter. It will be easier for you to mount most old lenses. Just a thought. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonathandael wrote:
OR, sell the Canon and buy any A7 variant you can afford and just get the right adapter. It will be easier for you to mount most old lenses. Just a thought. Wink

Well dang it-I never even thought of such a move. Just when I thought I had it figured out...
Really love my 70D,though, despite it being APS-C. So sharp and great to use. Also, have so many EOS adapters...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Too many good lenses get reworked into non functional (for the original camera) for my taste. Rather than doing a destructive mod either sell and get the Nikkor, or go for the simple screw mount conversion. Just my opinion though.

Jim's conversion doesn't harm the lens, the mount and spacer are remved via 4 screws, and a new mount + spacer are screwed back in place, I recently(1.5 years ago) returned my MC PG 58/1.2 back to it's original configuration.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
jonathandael wrote:

Well dang it-I never even thought of such a move. Just when I thought I had it figured out...
Really love my 70D,though, despite it being APS-C. So sharp and great to use. Also, have so many EOS adapters...

Or get ADDITIONALLY e.g. a used NEX-C3 just to play around with the exotic lenses which may not fit on your Canon. You should get one for around 100 bucks and it delivers amazingly nice pictures (APS-C/16MP). That may be cheaper than to buy a special adapter or lens conversion kit. Good and cheap adapters are available from Roxsen/China for very low prices.
I have it only for that reason, e.g. to use my old Fujica AX lenses for which no adapter is available for my Ricoh GXR. No need to change your whole system.
Click here to see on Ebay

Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test shot NEX-C3 / Minolta MC Rokkor-PG 58mm/1.2 fully open:

Alternative take using Zhongyi Lens Turbo (MD-NEX) with same configuration and setting:

Pictures clickable for larger view.

Last edited by tb_a on Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
Thanks for the responses!
Those are some lovely images blotafton. I absolutely love that bokeh and center sharpness.

Jamaeolus-I think I would agree with you. I would never do a permanent mod on any lens- if anything, I would consider a mount change that is reversible. However, I'm thinking of reselling it- I got it rather cheap- less than $200 with other things worth about $70. I think I could sell it and find a Nikkor or zuiko cheap enough as to basically keep the new 1.2/50 for free. I will make ultimate decision when I get it in few days, but as of now, I'm leanings or resale. Unless someone makes it really easy on me and sends me a link to a inexpensive m42 mount conversion kit, then I might feel forced to put forth the effort Smile
Thanks again.

Thank you StillSanj!

I don't know if it generally affect prices but what many lens purchases has taught me is to look for screws and (is it called retaining rings?) that show signs of being worked with. Nowadays this is a big deciding factor for me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test shot fully open on my Ricoh GXR:

"Sleeping dog":

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't destroy a great lens (and lose a lot of money by doing it) by converting it to a soon to be obsolete mount. Razz Rather sell your Canon and buy a Sony and a simple adapter. You will be able to use the lens with no problem, won't have to do any work to it and it won't lose any value.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got the lens today, and the risk paid off. There was only one picture in the listing. It was 185 with a 2.8/135, 3.5/28 and a camera body and a bunch of decent filters.

The lens is rather pristine shape, with absolutely perfect optics. Even the dust is hard to see and very fine.

I was taken aback by how big and heavy it is...but it is my first 1.2 lens. I really wish I could slap it on my camera, it feels so nice. I'm torn as to what to do with it.