Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MC Rokkor-PG 1.2/58
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:

I was taken aback by how big and heavy it is...but it is my first 1.2 lens. I really wish I could slap it on my camera, it feels so nice. I'm torn as to what to do with it.

That's the last and third (MC-X) version from 1973 which is slightly different in terms of glass used (compared to my MC version II from 1970 as shown before).
However, it is said that the quality hardly differs between the versions. The MC-X is the most seen version nowadays.
185 bucks for the bundle was a bargain, that's rather sure.

My examples from the NEX didn't help you further?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
StillSanj wrote:

I was taken aback by how big and heavy it is...but it is my first 1.2 lens. I really wish I could slap it on my camera, it feels so nice. I'm torn as to what to do with it.

That's the last and third (MC-X) version from 1973 which is slightly different in terms of glass used (compared to my MC version II from 1970 as shown before).
However, it is said that the quality hardly differs between the versions. The MC-X is the most seen version nowadays.

Yes it was a great find- I love it when people sell a crappy camera that happens to come with amazing lens. That's a tiny bummer, but I also read there is little to distinguish between the three.
Hehe they absolutely did and are what is making it hard. I always really inteded to resell or trade until I started this thread.

I have a weird thing with at all messing with lenses that are in great condition....I have a Topcor 1.4/58 I've never shot because I have never converted it- I'm afraid to even touch it. I have plenty of other 50's, but not a 1.2.
However, I've been considering whittling down my collection by a lot, and keeping mostly my actual great user lenses plus collectibles. In that case, I would take the time and money to convert both of those.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
tb_a wrote:
StillSanj wrote:

Yes it was a great find- I love it when people sell a crappy camera that happens to come with amazing lens. That's a tiny bummer, but I also read there is little to distinguish between the three.
Hehe they absolutely did and are what is making it hard. I always really inteded to resell or trade until I started this thread.

I have a weird thing with at all messing with lenses that are in great condition....I have a Topcor 1.4/58 I've never shot because I have never converted it- I'm afraid to even touch it. I have plenty of other 50's, but not a 1.2.
However, I've been considering whittling down my collection by a lot, and keeping mostly my actual great user lenses plus collectibles. In that case, I would take the time and money to convert both of those.

I'd invest in a mirrorless camera and some adapters, rather than converting the lenses. Just my two cents ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the "A picture is worth a thousand words" realm:

Lens price aside, those photos of the dachshund are fantastic. I have never seen a weiner dog look so noble.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:

I'd invest in a mirrorless camera and some adapters, rather than converting the lenses. Just my two cents Wink

I am 100% on your side. Wink
That was the only reason for the examples from the NEX......

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Canon adapters. If you sell the 70D Keep those! I kept all of mine, then with 1 adapter I can use all of my EOS friendly lenses on my a7ii. Plus with the a series camera it allows all those lovely inexpensive and razor sharp Konicas, Minoltas, FD and old RF lenses. I certainly have not regretted moving to it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Re Canon adapters. If you sell the 70D Keep those! I kept all of mine, then with 1 adapter I can use all of my EOS friendly lenses on my a7ii. Plus with the a series camera it allows all those lovely inexpensive and razor sharp Konicas, Minoltas, FD and old RF lenses. I certainly have not regretted moving to it.

For some of my camera/lens combinations I do exactly the same. 1 lens on 2 adapters on 1 camera. Wink
Works perfectly.

BTW, my strangest combination is a Lenshead from Leitz onto a Visoflex helicoid onto a Visoflex to Nikon adapter onto a Nikon to Leica-M adapter onto a Leica-M to MFT adapter onto my Panasonic Lumix MFT camera. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Topcor 58 1.4 works with exakta eos adapter on my 60d. You have to remove 2 small screws from the base that are place markers only for the topcor camera. No destruction required. The screws are very small. Stick them to scotch tape, label and put in a small bottle or zip lock so they don't get lost. I have mine in the bottom of the topcon case for the lens.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
tb_a wrote:
StillSanj wrote:

The Rokkor is easy to convert, and will have no issues on Canon APS-C, and can be converted back such that there is no difference from the original condition.

The Topcor 58/1.4 is a legend, it's sharp wide open like most lenses are when stopped down, actually most Topcors are like that... Absolutely love em.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/tags/topcorre5814/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayno wrote:
From the "A picture is worth a thousand words" realm:

Lens price aside, those photos of the dachshund are fantastic. I have never seen a weiner dog look so noble.

Thanks! The trick is to get down really low, which is often easier said than done! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ha w actually just ordered the conversion kit for the Topcor. Ready to put forth extra effort into having a nice set Smile
Can't wait- poor baby has been sitting on the shelf for months just looking pretty.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a wrote:
StillSanj wrote:
jonathandael wrote:
OR, sell the Canon and buy any A7 variant you can afford and just get the right adapter. It will be easier for you to mount most old lenses. Just a thought. Wink

Well dang it-I never even thought of such a move. Just when I thought I had it figured out...
Really love my 70D,though, despite it being APS-C. So sharp and great to use. Also, have so many EOS adapters...

Or get ADDITIONALLY e.g. a used NEX-C3 just to play around with the exotic lenses which may not fit on your Canon. You should get one for around 100 bucks and it delivers amazingly nice pictures (APS-C/16MP). That may be cheaper than to buy a special adapter or lens conversion kit. Good and cheap adapters are available from Roxsen/China for very low prices.
I have it only for that reason, e.g. to use my old Fujica AX lenses for which no adapter is available for my Ricoh GXR. No need to change your whole system.
Click here to see on Ebay

Just my 2 cents.

I agree.

Sony nex 3 and 5 are s great bargain.

One with Wide Angle and or normal

Another with zoom/tele.

Easy and cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillSanj wrote:
I finally got the lens today, and the risk paid off. There was only one picture in the listing. It was 185 with a 2.8/135, 3.5/28 and a camera body and a bunch of decent filters.

The lens is rather pristine shape, with absolutely perfect optics. Even the dust is hard to see and very fine.

Get a used 24MP FF A7 or even an A7II with built-in image stabilizer. Usually these vintage lenses are much better on 24MP FF than on 24 MP APS-C.

StillSanj wrote:

I have a few Topcor RE lenses, among them the 4/20mm, the 1.8/5.8cm, the 1.4/5.8cm, the 2.8/10cm and the 3.5/135mm. On 24MP FF, the Topcor RE 1.4/5.8 cm is not better than any of the common 1.4/50 or 1.4/58mm lenses from Minolta.

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
StillSanj wrote:
I finally got the lens today, and the risk paid off. There was only one picture in the listing. It was 185 with a 2.8/135, 3.5/28 and a camera body and a bunch of decent filters.

The lens is rather pristine shape, with absolutely perfect optics. Even the dust is hard to see and very fine.

Get a used 24MP FF A7 or even an A7II with built-in image stabilizer. Usually these vintage lenses are much better on 24MP FF than on 24 MP APS-C.

StillSanj wrote:

I have a few Topcor RE lenses, among them the 4/20mm, the 1.8/5.8cm, the 1.4/5.8cm, the 2.8/10cm and the 3.5/135mm. On 24MP FF, the Topcor RE 1.4/5.8 cm is not better than any of the common 1.4/50 or 1.4/58mm lenses from Minolta.

Stephan

Then your lens must have been opened up by someone that doesn't know what they're doing, too bad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to take photos.

Especially at f/5,6.

Very heavy. A 1,7/50 or 55 mm lens has a similar or better rendering at f/2,8 to f/11.

If you don't need the f/1,2, perhaps the 1,4/50 variants or the 1,7-1,8/50-55 are bet option.

After use 1,7, 1,4 and 1,2 normal, I understand that a f. 2/50 give me what I really need. The only 1,4/50 I want to have are the 'lux R or M both last version

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

Then your lens must have been opened up by someone that doesn't know what they're doing, too bad.

It seems that you have a Topcor 1.4/5.8cm, and it seems that you're using it on 24MP Full Frame - could you post somewhere a full size image taken at f1.4, with the horizon going diagonally through the image? That would be really helpful Wink

Stephan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily it's finally spring in my part of the world.
The almonds are blooming.

Taken with Ricoh GXR-M and Minolta 58/1.2 stopped down to F5.6: