Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I'm looking for wide angle lens, would love to hear your...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: I'm looking for wide angle lens, would love to hear your... Reply with quote

... suggestions.

I already own a Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AI-s, but I am now looking for something a little wider, sometimes the 28mm is missing a little bit.

I usually do low light shooting so large f/ would help.

I am on a full frame camera, A7rii.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you consider 24mm as wide enough, then I would recommend the Minolta MD 24mm/F2.8 lens (version MD III 8 lenses/8 groups).

Watch this: http://artaphot.ch/systemuebergreifend/objektive/450-24mm

My comparison posted earlier today may also help: http://forum.mflenses.com/24mm-lens-comparison-minolta-pentax-tokina-t76783.html
Although it's APS-C only.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Attila has a point when he suggests most 24's are pretty good - a bit like 135's. Personally my choice is my sigma superwide II.

Dan Eurritt has done some extensively discriminatory testing of wide angle lenses on his A7r - see here for example:

http://www.codectest.com/2014/28mm-prime-lens-comparison-shot-on-sony-a7r-second-round

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still looking for a great superwide. I have the Canon FD 20mm 2.8, the Asahi Pentax 20mm 4.5, the Minolta AF 20mm 2.8. I like all three but don't LOVE any of them. I had the Sigma 11-14 EX DG (Or some such) and it was phenomenal on my Canon EOS 60D but that is APS-C. I have heard great things about Zeiss loxia 20mm 2.8 but it is out of my budget for now. I also see great images from Voigtlanders Heliar 15mm.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the suggestion of the Sigma Superwide II. If you are looking for something wider then I recommend the Tokina RMC 17mm f3.5, although you may be looking for a faster lens.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina RMC f3.5 17mm and be done...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my A7R2 I opted for the Voigtlander Super Wide-Heliar 15mm III and the 25mm Batis as wider than 35mm lenses. Both are very good, top in their class, lenses. I can recommend them both without hesitation.

IMO, as you go wider the character of the lens is less important and less manifest. Sharpness, high resolution, corner corrections, the geometrical distortion corrections become the most important requirements - exacly the areas where the actual evolution in lens design is more advanced. That's why I opted for modern lenses in the wide range and not for older ones, as in the portrait and close-up ranges.
It's a pitty not to take advantage of your A7R2 high capabilities.

Voigtlander Super Wide-Heliar 15mm in its third incarnation has well corectected corners on A7R2. You can find it in Sony E-mount but I preferred to buy it in Leica M-mount and use it with a helicoid Leica M to E mount adapter - this way I can focus it much closer without loosing the infinity focus. It's an advantage that should be considered if you decide to get it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick comment on the Tonika 17mm. I will do more research on it, but one advantage of the full frame A7rii is that I can use it as a 17mm or as a 25.5mm if set to APS-C.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Tokina RMC f3.5 17mm and be done...

Can't argue with that. Wink fabulous lens.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with my Konica 21/4 and Nikkor 18/4.
Other options I'm interested in are the CV21/1.8 because I do like my CV15III for night shooting on a tripod,l.

For night shooting, I really liked my OM 21/3.5 on my NEX-7, the OM 50/1.4 too, it vignettes quit a bit on my A7r so haven't used it much, the A7rII may reduce this effect, because the r is so sensitive to lens-sensor geometry.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"the r is so sensitive to lens-sensor geometry" what does this mean?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one vouching for the legendary Zeiss Flektogon 20mm f2.8?
I reckon it's a little overpriced

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilhomura89 wrote:
No one vouching for the legendary Zeiss Flektogon 20mm f2.8?
I reckon it's a little overpriced

Why should anybody?
I would never recommend any GDR made lens, but that is based purely on my bad personal experience due to big sample variation and lousy mechanical quality.
BTW, the Flek is not even optically among the best lenses in that range and heavily overpriced because of the Z* name. Wink

My recommendation for a 20mm lens on a Sony 7R2 would be the Minolta AF 20mm/F2.8. Best quality/price relationship.

Example picture from my FF Sony A850:

100% crop:

Last edited by tb_a on Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:45 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:

Thanks to BSI design it can receive more light from oblique angles. But it's not perfect yet, this is why wide angle range finder lenses don't work as well on digital cameras as on film. And I think also why large aperture lenses doesn't give the theoretical increase in light sensitivity compared with slower lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
vanylapep wrote:

Thanks to BSI design it can receive more light from oblique angles. But it's not perfect yet, this is why wide angle range finder lenses don't work as well on digital cameras as on film. And I think also why large aperture lenses doesn't give the theoretical increase in light sensitivity compared with slower lenses.

There are reports of new 'Organic CMOS' sensor tech in development which will make pixels sensitive to a much wider angle of incoming light. This could be a great benefit for adapting wide angle lenses. See http://news.panasonic.com/global/press/data/2016/02/en160203-6/en160203-6.html &
http://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-announces-the-worlds-first-organic-cmos-image-sensor-with-electrically-controllable-near-infrared-light-sensitivity/
How long before such things are available is any ones guess!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one mentioned about the Quantaray/Sigma 24mm f/2.8. This is great if you are looking for something cheap and cheerful. I have got one in Nikon mount and here is a sample from my Sony alpha 5000. I believe I shot it at f8. If I remember correctly, I paid less than $40 for a near mint version.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:

When the lenses exit pupil is close to the sensor, the light rays must exit at very low angles to reach the corners, this causes the light to be shaded from landing in the pixel's well, this causes colour shift, aka Magenta corners.
The A7rII has a new chip design, Back Side Illumination moves all the stuff that doesn't have anything to do with photon collection to the other side of the wafer, this in turn permits the walls of the pixel well to be lower, shading is reduced.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
blotafton wrote:
vanylapep wrote:

There are reports of new 'Organic CMOS' sensor tech in development which will make pixels sensitive to a much wider angle of incoming light. This could be a great benefit for adapting wide angle lenses. See http://news.panasonic.com/global/press/data/2016/02/en160203-6/en160203-6.html &
http://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-announces-the-worlds-first-organic-cmos-image-sensor-with-electrically-controllable-near-infrared-light-sensitivity/
How long before such things are available is any ones guess!

There has been some issues with overheating that they have had to work on, sounds like they have made some progress on that.
At best, I think we are still at least year away from seeing any sensors for photography.
http://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-announces-development-worlds-fastest-organic-cmos-circuit-multi-bit-flexible-temperature-sensor/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
vanylapep wrote:

When the lenses exit pupil is close to the sensor, the light rays must exit at very low angles to reach the corners, this causes the light to be shaded from landing in the pixel's well, this causes colour shift, aka Magenta corners.
The A7rII has a new chip design, Back Side Illumination moves all the stuff that doesn't have anything to do with photon collection to the other side of the wafer, this in turn permits the walls of the pixel well to be lower, shading is reduced.

Thank you for the explanation Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from a good 28mm lens, the next step would be something in the 20mm range.
Personally, i like 20mm lenses very much, and maybe 40% of my published work is shot with them. Recently, i did test about 15 lenses in the 17mm to 21mm range, among them the following:

Canon nFD 2.8/20mm
Canon TS-E 4/17mm L
Konica Hexanon AR 4/21mm
Minolta MC 2.8/21mm
Minolta MD 2.8/20mm
Minolta AF 2.8/20mm
Nikkor AF 2.8/20mm (same optical core as the AiS 2.8/20mm)
Pentax A 2.8/20mm
Tokina RMC 3.5/17mm
Topcor RE 4/20mm
Yashica 3.5/21mm
Sony Zeiss ZA 2.8/16-35mm
Zeiss Loxia 2.8/21mm

To make it short - the Zeiss Loxia 2.8/21mm is that much better than even the Canon 17mm L in the not shifted state (!) that i must say "it's a class on its own". All other lenses mentioned here have their drawbacks, especially when using the 42MP FF sensor of the A7RII. The Loxia is fully usable at f2.8, even on 42MP - the Zeiss Loxia is better at f2.8 than the other lenses at f8 ... f11!

If you insist on using a vintage lens on your A7RII, i would recommend the Nikkor or the Minolta AF (or maybe the Topcor).

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Minolta AF 20 f2.8, can that lens be used as a manual lens? (focus and aperture)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zuiko 24/2.8 dominates on value here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
Regarding the Minolta AF 20 f2.8, can that lens be used as a manual lens? (focus and aperture)

Of course! Even thought the focusing is quite narrow, its contruction ensures that manual focusing is smooth and precise.
The lens itself has no aperture ring, but the Minolta A => Sony E adapters usually have a manual aperture ring! The ring itself doesn't indicate the aperture, but stopping down from a fully opened lens one can easily estimate the effective aperture while watching the exposure time within the viewfinder.

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People paid unreasonably for something called Soligor/(whatever rebrand) 19-35

Never got one so I cannot tell you how good it is. Presumably f8 needed, and presumably people wanted the 19mm FF.

The other lenses in this style (28-80?) are nothing special I think

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years ago, I did a comparison test between a Nikkor 24/2.8 AIs and a Tamron 24/2.5. I used an APS-C camera, so I couldn't evaluate the edges and corners, but with what I was able to compare, the results were surprising. Once both lenses were stopped down a little, the Tamron actually bested the Nikkor in sharpness. Wide open, the Nikkor had a slight edge.

So if you keep your eye out for the Tamron 24, often you can pick one up for half or less than half what you'd pay for camera-mfgr versions.

Now, for ultra wide, the Tokina 17/3.5 has been mentioned and perhaps the Tamron as well -- I didn't read through all the posts. I have the Tamron and a Vivitar branded Tokina. The two lenses are more or less equivalent when it comes to resolution, but when it comes to operation, they're quite a bit different. The Vivitar behaves the way you expect an ultra-wide to behave. That is, the focusing collar feels almost useless past about six feet or so, cuz it doesn't seem to make a difference. Whereas the Tamron behaves more like a 35mm or even a 50mm. There's quite a bit of focusing involved.

The Vivitar version of the Tokina has a bit of a built in hood, whereas the Tokina doesn't. From what I've read, the Tokina has a slight edge over the Vivitar in terms of performance because it has a better set of coatings. OK, whatever. The Tamron was made in two versions, the early one has a set of built-in filters. The later one doesn't. I have the later one, and it came with a hood that is held in place with a set screw. It's a nice hood, so if you're thinking about a Tamron, think about one with a hood. I see the hoods on ebay and when they appear, people want quite a bit for them.