Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What adapter do you use for your Topcor lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: What adapter do you use for your Topcor lens? Reply with quote

Hi,

I just got a RE.AUTO Topcor 58mm f/1.8 black and tried on multiple copies of this adapter on my A7Rii:

Those adapters don't hold the lens perfectly in place, they allow the lens to rotate by ~1mm, which is annoying because everytime i turn the focus or the aperture ring, the lens will rotate for ~1mm in the same direction.

I've tested the same adapters on Meyer lenses and the lenses don't move.

I was wondering if it's my Topcor lens the issue, or if you have tried other adapter that works better? Should I get a $$Kipon$$?

Any tips is appreciated, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one like yours, but has no play in it, the lock pin of my lenses fit nicely into the hook/ lens release arm.
I also have a adapter from Big_is, I'm not sure if it's still available, he seems to have cut way back on adapters.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I would need your help for more info. I think it's not the adapter, but the lens itself has some problems.

1st problem: when i hold the lens (see red arrow "hold here"), I can twist the lens nose as shown with the double headed red arrow. There is a small 1mm play. It seems like when I turn the focus ring, it's actually that part of the lens that move, not where the lens is connected to the adapter as I suspected.

2nd problem: see the blue arrow. The aperture ring can be turned to where the green dot is above the number "8" but not further. It seems to me by looking inside, that the blades are not fully opened and hidden, i can see about <1mm of blades sticking out. Is the green dot in the middle of the 1.8 in yours, ie, green dot above the dot "." between 1 and 8.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first twisting problem could indicate wear on the rails that keep the two parts of the focusing helical aligned. Or the screws at the end of those two guide rails may be loose. Not essential that they be tight, but nice.

The aperture ring problem could be mis-assembly of the rear of the lens. I suspect that the fork on the aperture ring isn't properly meshed with the L-shaped arm coming back from the aperture mechanism. The rear is held in by four screws.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exactly lens and adapter combo. You will need to adjust the adapter just like most other bayonet adaptor.

Use a CY to EOS adapter as an example: Insert the screw driver to the small gap as shown below. Rotate the screw driver. Repeat this to other locking mechanism.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
Thanks for the info. I would need your help for more info. I think it's not the adapter, but the lens itself has some problems.

1st problem: when i hold the lens (see red arrow "hold here"), I can twist the lens nose as shown with the double headed red arrow. There is a small 1mm play. It seems like when I turn the focus ring, it's actually that part of the lens that move, not where the lens is connected to the adapter as I suspected.

2nd problem: see the blue arrow. The aperture ring can be turned to where the green dot is above the number "8" but not further. It seems to me by looking inside, that the blades are not fully opened and hidden, i can see about <1mm of blades sticking out. Is the green dot in the middle of the 1.8 in yours, ie, green dot above the dot "." between 1 and 8.

Thanks.

Does it click when you set it to 1.8? I don't recall if the 1.8 is centred on mine, I unfortunately don't have access to it right now.
The rails being loose could be the cause of the front end looseness/play/movement.
Removing the mount should give you access to the rails, provided you have the tools mechanical skills, and courage to open it up.
Of the Topcors I've opened, they are generally well thought out designs, other then having to remove the rubber rings to fully service them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

Does it click when you set it to 1.8? I don't recall if the 1.8 is centred on mine, I unfortunately don't have access to it right now.
The rails being loose could be the cause of the front end looseness/play/movement.
Removing the mount should give you access to the rails, provided you have the tools mechanical skills, and courage to open it up.
Of the Topcors I've opened, they are generally well thought out designs, other then having to remove the rubber rings to fully service them.

My copy stop at the exact place as above in F1.8.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your lens need service I'd say!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the small screw below the bayonet for the hood is tightened.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:

Sad I got this on ebay from a description saying "works as it should". It's a bit hard to interpret sometimes.

Last edited by vanylapep on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

My copy stop at the exact place as above in F1.8.

Your copy stops above the 8?

@Lightshow, mine does NOT click at 1.8.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Sad I got this on ebay from a description saying "works as it should".

Mine clicks at 1.8 and my 85mm TOPCOR also does at f1.8

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture is worth a thousand words. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had trouble with an Exakta adapter, then bought one from rainbowimaging.com (for those in the US) that works very well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I've had trouble with an Exakta adapter, then bought one from rainbowimaging.com (for those in the US) that works very well.

Which adapter did you buy, and when?

They have a Topcor-EOS adapter listed "out of stock" for more than a year.

How I use my Topcor lenses on my 6D is with a adapted mount to M42, bought one from the bay for too much money.
I had unscrewed rear mount from an unused Pentacon Auto 50/1.8 and had it machined at the workshop at work, following the example of the M42 mount that I had bought. Now infinity is exactly infinity because I could get it machined to my specifications.

The downside is that I would have the unscrew the mount back to the original Topcor to use it on my Topcon body.

But mounting a M42 into an adapter is very convenient.
If you don't mind spending the money, or have the opportunity to get something machined, it's well worth the hassle.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_zeel wrote:
woodrim wrote:

Which adapter did you buy, and when?

I bought the Sony NEX E-Mount version. Don't think it was very long ago, but I have a very poor sense of time. I'm about to place another order for a few adapters.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
A picture is worth a thousand words. Wink

exactly like mine Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* and calvin83 (thanks for the picture), good to know yours stops similar to mine. However, mine does NOT click and lock at 1.8, so if I start using the fucus ring for a bit (after 30 seconds of use) the aperture blades goes into f/2.0 mode by itself and locks there. Please look at the picture. I guess this is not normal right?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your lens needs to be fixed(the parts that locks aperture might be broken). This is not uncommon as I have seen similar issue in this forum. Someone here may be able to give you some instructions if you want to fix it yourself http://forum.mflenses.com/topcor-58mm-1-8-aperture-t63015.html . If you fixed yourself, it will be a good idea to share how you do it in the repair forum.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way of adapting Exakta mount to Nex, with a little help from Konica. These fit perfectly.

Idea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacking adapters has never been a good idea, mechanical tolerances of one are adding to the ones of another.
I'd rather invest into the best single one Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RE Topcors has a small aperture coupling pin on the outer part of the mount. A EXA->FD adapter should works fine but I am not sure if the EXA->AR adapter works too.