Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What's the latest lens you added to your collection?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
DrBB wrote:

Hope you guys had interesting and fun year (lens-wise)

Not too many, but a few nice/interesting ones:

Boyer APO Saphir 9/75mm

S

Very nice! Have you tried it yet?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
DrBB wrote:

Boyer APO Saphir 9/75mm
Konica AR 4/21mm "rubber grip"
Mamiya Sekor E 4/300mm
Minolta W Rokkor 4.5/21mm
Minolta AF 2.8/28-70mm G
Miranda Auto 2.8/35mm
Miranda Auto E 1.4/50mm (7L)
Nikkor AiS 2.8/105mm Micro
Yashica ML 3.5/28-35mm
Yashica ML 5.6/300mm "non-compact"
Zeiss HFT Planar 1.4/50mm

S

Lol, yours 3 lenses from this list are worth more than 100 mine Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple.joy wrote:
stevemark wrote:
DrBB wrote:

Boyer APO Saphir 9/75mm

S

Not yet, to be honest - it has an uncommon fine thread (abut 24mm in diameter, slightly less than an inch).
Roughly estimated it might be something like 24x0.5mm.
I haven't yet been able to adapt it; a quick search on the internet didn't result in anything meaningful.

S

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
simple.joy wrote:
stevemark wrote:
DrBB wrote:

Boyer APO Saphir 9/75mm

S

Not yet, to be honest - it has an uncommon fine thread (abut 24mm in diameter, slightly less than an inch).
Roughly estimated it might be something like 24x0.5mm.
I haven't yet been able to adapt it; a quick search on the internet didn't result in anything meaningful.

S

I found this guys to be helpful, unfortunately, they are not cheap (10-15eur) and I found them only on few aliexpress sellers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked any Tamron lenses I've owned and purely by chance I found these two SP models - both new, unused and in mint condition. The 24-48mm also has the extremely hard to find lens hood!

*Photos courtesy of seller*

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBB wrote:

I found this guys to be helpful, unfortunately, they are not cheap (10-15eur) and I found them only on few aliexpress sellers

Thank you for that information! The Boyer 9/75mm thread might be something as 23.5x0.5mm, but I'm not entirely sure.

D. P. wrote:

Wow - that's a beauty! While I have the silver RE 3.5/58mm Macro, I've never the black version ...!

DigiChromeEd wrote:
I've always liked any Tamron lenses I've owned and purely by chance I found these two SP models - both new, unused and in mint condition. The 24-48mm also has the extremely hard to find lens hood!

That sounds good Wink. Both lenses are pretty good, the 24-48mm is nearly as good as the Canon nFD 3.5/20-35mm (but of course limited at the wide side). The SP 3.5/70-210 is a good zoom as well, but in my experience ("landscape testing mode") not as good as the best OEM telezooms from around 1980-1985. But pretty close ... I've been playing with a few other SP zooms during the last days, and by coincidence I got a Tamron Adaptall-2 2.5/135mm today. It has a nice and well made barrel, plus focusing goes down to 1.2m.
Not tested yet Wink

S

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
I got a Tamron Adaptall-2 2.5/135mm today. It has a nice and well made barrel, plus focusing goes down to 1.2m.
Not tested yet Wink

S

Interesting! Will watch for what you find with it.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:

The 19-AH has generally positive reviews. Post up some images when you have them...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
stevemark wrote:
I got a Tamron Adaptall-2 2.5/135mm today. It has a nice and well made barrel, plus focusing goes down to 1.2m.
Not tested yet Wink

S

-D.S.

At 530 g / 18.7 oz it certainly isn't a lightweight lens. Not as heavy as the Konica AR 2.5/135mm (655g), but almost exactly as much as the Minolta MC/MD 2.8/135mm [4/4]. Canon new FD and Minolta MD-III 2.8/135mm are much lighter.

S

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Doc Sharptail wrote:
stevemark wrote:
Not tested yet Wink

S

-D.S.

At 530 g / 18.7 oz it certainly isn't a lightweight lens. Not as heavy as the Konica AR 2.5/135mm (655g), but almost exactly as much as the Minolta MC/MD 2.8/135mm [4/4]. Canon new FD and Minolta MD-III 2.8/135mm are much lighter.

S

Looking forward to results S! http://adaptall-2.com/lenses/03B.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this for a bit less than the going rate, described as having a few issues. The aperture ring was clickless and quite loose. The aperture was also slow to return. There is a small ring to tighten right at the mount to retain the aperture ring, the clicks also returned. The slow return was solved by a little lubricant on the PAD actuator. The lens also need a recalibration for infinity focus, which is a simple procedure on this lens. The glass is in good condition.

The lens is the first SLR 24mm lens released, its main designer left Carl Zeiss Jena in East Germany to work at Isco in West Germany. The lens vignettes noticeably. At F8, for a late 1950's lens, the IQ is decent, the corner resolution is not perfect, but quite a lot better than expected.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

I bought this for a bit less than the going rate, described as having a few issues. The aperture ring was clickless and quite loose. The aperture was also slow to return. There is a small ring to tighten right at the mount to retain the aperture ring, the clicks also returned. The slow return was solved by a little lubricant on the PAD actuator. The lens also need a recalibration for infinity focus, which is a simple procedure on this lens. The glass is in good condition.

The lens is the first SLR 24mm lens released, its main designer left Carl Zeiss Jena in East Germany to work at Isco in West Germany. The lens vignettes noticeably. At F8, for a late 1950's lens, the IQ is decent, the corner resolution is not perfect, but quite a lot better than expected.

Congrats Friends

I have a non-working one as I break one of the rear element when I tried to clean the lens. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

Wow - that's a beauty! While I have the silver RE 3.5/58mm Macro, I've never the black version ...!

Thank you! I was lucky to find a copy in mint condition, like new.
In addition, the seller had an RE GN Topcor M 50mm f/1.4, but I did not buy it. Radioactivity, grease issues, strange bokeh, and the $720 price are just not for me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. P. wrote:
stevemark wrote:

Thank you! I was lucky to find a copy in mint condition, like new.
In addition, the seller had an RE GN Topcor M 50mm f/1.4, but I did not buy it. Radioactivity, grease issues, strange bokeh, and the $720 price are just not for me.

You can buy a Topcor 85 1.8 for less. Laugh 1
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

I would buy that for the looks only 👍

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:

I own the same lens in plastic, with MC for M42. It was certain disappointment for me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

I know.
But I'm not a fan of either RE 85/1.8 or RE 58/1.8 or RE GN 50/1.4. There's no magic in these lenses. Unlike them, RE 58/3.5 Macro is magical.

But I remember your old photo series (parrots and flowers) with Topcor 85/1.8 - excellent shots!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. P. wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

I know.
But I'm not a fan of either RE 85/1.8 or RE 58/1.8 or RE GN 50/1.4. There's no magic in these lenses. Unlike them, RE 58/3.5 Macro is magical.

It seems we have opposite view. I sold my black 58/3.5 Macro soon after I tried it.

The 85/1.8 deserve a better reputation as it is a really good lens compare to other fast Japanese 85mm in the early 70s.

Last edited by calvin83 on Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

It seems we have opposite view.

De gustibus поп est disputandum! (с) Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:

It seems we have opposite view. I sold my black 58/3.5 Macro soon after I tried it.

I've tried about 50 macro lenses over the past ten years. Some were amazing, some were mediocre. That said, I can think of very few lenses that fit my “good macro” philosophy. Perhaps Zeiss Macro-Prakticar 55/2.8... Something else... For the last six months, my main working tool has been Sigma AF 70mm F/2.8 DG Macro Art. This is an amazing lens, much better than the Topcor in every way. But the picture is too flawless, too perfect. And I want imperfection. That's why I really liked Topcor.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

It seems we have opposite view.

De gustibus поп est disputandum! (с) Laugh 1

Happy Cat Friends

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. P. wrote:
... Something else...

KONICA MACRO-HEXANON 105mm F4 for example.

or Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 (however "too perfect" maybe, of course)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. P. wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

I've tried about 50 macro lenses over the past ten years. Some were amazing, some were mediocre. That said, I can think of very few lenses that fit my “good macro” philosophy. Perhaps Zeiss Macro-Prakticar 55/2.8... Something else... For the last six months, my main working tool has been Sigma AF 70mm F/2.8 DG Macro Art. This is an amazing lens, much better than the Topcor in every way. But the picture is too flawless, too perfect. And I want imperfection. That's why I really liked Topcor.

I have no experience with the Topcor. My favourite macro in this class however, is the Yashica ML 55/2.8 macro. It is amazingly sharp from wide open, but it has plenty of imperfections as well.

Picture taken wide open, no sharpening applied. Please click to watch at 100%, the amount of detail is quite amazing IMO:
YashicaML5528macro by devoscasper, on Flickr

It still has the right amount of vintage imperfections though:
YashicaML5528macro_7 by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
My favourite macro in this class however, is the Yashica ML 55/2.8 macro. It is amazingly sharp from wide open, but it has plenty of imperfections as well.

I have this lens, I'm now selling it because I couldn't bring myself to love it.
It has excellent ergonomics, better than Topcor.